• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South African first innings @ Perth, v Australia in 2005

21.5 Bracken to de Villiers, FOUR, Bracken to de Villiers, 4 runs. pitched outside the leg stump and swinging in, de Villers flicks it on the front foot towards mid wicket, Substitute chased it hard, but couldnt stop that one

I have reason to believe this substitute is one David Warner. I demand you upload this video.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
South African first innings @ Perth, v Australia in 2005

21.5 Bracken to de Villiers, FOUR, Bracken to de Villiers, 4 runs. pitched outside the leg stump and swinging in, de Villers flicks it on the front foot towards mid wicket, Substitute chased it hard, but couldnt stop that one

I have reason to believe this substitute is one David Warner. I demand you upload this video.
Yup, the U19s had just finished the carnival in Perth, think it was a Saturday so the other subs were off playing grade cricket.

Spikey

remember when he was on a hat-trick against india

Yup, the U19s had just finished the carnival in Perth, think it was a Saturday so the other subs were off playing grade cricket.
we've literally had this conversation before. it's just we didn't find the exact moment for rob to look for

anitathakur91

Cricket Spectator
Sachin Tendulkar amazing video – Reminds me of old memories

Before the world proclaimed Sachin Tendulkar a genius, he was just a little boy with a big dream. ...Being a Sachin fan, I was in tears when he said good bye to this beautiful sport. This ad bring back old memories of Sachin when he was just 16 years old. I was super excited by seeing Sachin in the cricketing whites, and it gave me goose-bumps. It brought back memories of all those magnificent knocks he had played and the matches h[video]http://bit.ly/1kfk1OL[/video]e had won for India single-handedly. Check out this amazing video at Sachin Tendulkar new TV ad campaign by Aviva 2014 - Sachin's big plan revealed - YouTube

Zinzan

Wonderful stuff Rob

[video=youtube_share;AakR_--8OeQ]http://youyu.be/AakR_--8OeQ[/video]

For those of the younger generation who may wonder why some of us bleat on how classy a batsman Crowe was despite his averaging 45 (as opposed to 50+), hopefully this clip goes some way towards demonstrating the class of the man at the crease.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

tbh, it's no surprise Crowe didn't average 50 and I reckon his average of 45 is about right. He and Dean Jones were very similar players in that they weren't the best starters, especially when the ball was moving. Once they got to 50, their oppo were in real trouble because their damn near perfect techniques meant you were going to chasing leather all over the park and, for the spectator, was beautiful to watch. But yeah, grinding out a slow 60 or 70 wasn't really their thing.

Not that I'm suggesting that's an all-over bad thing either, Crowe was one of those special ones who got 'up' against the best opposition and that definitely wins you a lot of cricket games. But one gets the feeling he wasn't at his best in lesser contests against lesser opponents, didn't have the all-round consistency and gritty crease occupancy of an AB, Miandad or Gavaskar, for example.

Last edited:

Zinzan

tbh, it's no surprise Crowe didn't average 50 and I reckon his average of 45 is about right. He and Dean Jones were very similar players in that they weren't the best starters, especially when the ball was moving. Once they got to 50, their oppo were in real trouble because their damn near perfect techniques meant you were going to chasing leather all over the park and, for the spectator, was beautiful to watch. But yeah, grinding out a slow 60 or 70 wasn't really their thing.

Not that I'm suggesting that's an all-over bad thing either, Crowe was one of those special ones who got 'up' against the best opposition and that definitely wins you a lot of cricket games. But one gets the feeling he wasn't at his best in lesser contests against lesser opponents, didn't have the all-round consistency and gritty crease occupancy of an AB, Miandad or Gavaskar, for example.
Disagree tbh. I think the reason he averaged <50 had more to do with him being prematurely picked as a 19 year old against Lillee, Thomson & co hence averaging under 30 for a long time coupled with the fact few players of his era did average 50+.

As I've mentioned before to provide some context, in the decade between 1985 & 1995 Crowe was as good as anyone. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...5;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting Certainly made some tough runs in conquering the Windies attack of 1987-88 and had successful against both Waqar & Wasim.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Crowe's performance against the best of his era isn't in dispute at all. It's how he did against the next tier that's at issue and impacts on his average. England at home and away, for example.

Not that I think average is (nor should be) the sole measurement of the quality of a player. If you dominate mainly the best sides, that's an extremely useful player to have in your side and I definitely put him ahead of D Jones in terms of when he scored as Jones' average is boosted somewhat a lot of 2nd-dig/late series nothing runs. I also don't believe that averaging 50 magically makes you a better player than someone who averages a few runs less. What averaging 50 says (broadly) is that you scored the hard runs and the easy ones. Since Crowe was mainly at his best in the former situations, his average takes a dip. Doesn't mean he wasn't a batting genius.

Last edited:

Zinzan

^ Fair enough, as long as we both agree he had a slight edge on Dean Jones as a test bat :p Would be the other way around if we're talking ODIs though.

Top_Cat

haha, the difference ain't slight and I say that as someone for whom Deano was my hero growing up. And as far as ODI knocks go, Deano probably the more consistent but Crowe's ton to open the '92 WC was one of the best I've ever seen.