• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't that just after the scandal involing Tuffey and video tape in Queenstown?
No, was a month or two before the news of it broke out in the media iirc, but it seems possible that it was on his mind anyway.

One can only imagine how bad this would've been under current rules. Adam Gilchrist, with a succession of free hits against Daryl Tuffey's medium pace and with Eden Park's toy boundaries...Australia could've picked up 40 odd from the first over.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For those who like some old school cricket, Fox Sports 2 has a compilation of the 2nd test of the 1961 Ashes series right now. Bill Lawry with a big ton against Statham and Trueman.

Burgey

It's interesting to watch how much more the players of this era seemed to play off the back foot, even to balls which today would be be played off the front foot.

I wonder if this is a legacy of the pitches, with exaggerated movement and the need to play later? It isn't that the players don't drive, rather that the ball must be very full for them to attempt it.

Some classic Kenny Barrington on now.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's interesting to watch how much more the players of this era seemed to play off the back foot, even to balls which today would be be played off the front foot.

I wonder if this is a legacy of the pitches, with exaggerated movement and the need to play later? It isn't that the players don't drive, rather that the ball must be very full for them to attempt it.

Some classic Kenny Barrington on now.
:huh:

benchmark00

On the topic though, that sort of **** is really interesting to me. The evolution of batting craft has always been an area of fascination for me.

I'd think almost certainly it was a result of the pitches. Driving a ball that wasn't a half volley back then was always fraught with danger because there was a propensity for it to hold up in the wicket, whereas today the pitches are far truer, and you can simply drive through the ball with relative surety that the ball would have a regulation speed and bounce to it.

Having slower pitches simply allows one more time to sit on the back foot and hit it along the ground.