• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heat of the moment, sure. But publicly, at least, I don't remember the WI even suggesting as much.

Happy to be contradicted, especially since it would only add to the idea that they were successful douchebags. :D

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Don't know if the WI actually accused the NZ umps of being biased, tbh. Think the general feeling was more one of incompetency. Certainly Rod Marsh made a big deal of it in one of his books and, without checking, I think most WI quotes about the time were along those lines.

But yeah, the image of the WI players of years gone by being paragons of fair play and using this to criticise the Aussies of the 00's is bull****, no kidding. I have absolutely no problem with the way either team played, they played hard and won a lot but it's bollocks to go after one but not the other.
Agree with the stuff you say about the WI. Remember reading about a match where Bishan Singh Bedi declared the innings closed because of intimidatory bowling. They were no paragons of virtue but there is always something about the Windies that makes them likeable.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haha, Colin Croft is awesome. Can't imagine what would have happened to poor umpires like Bucknor(at least in his last years as an umpire) if they officiated WI matches at that time.

Bouncer

State Regular
Rob, I have a real tough assignment for you!

Can you compile all the grumpy/uncalled for comments from Ian Chappel in last few years?:-O :-O

This would be real challenge but seeing what you have already put out there, you should be able to get in with all the collection that you have Should make one heck of a clip!

Top_Cat

Agree with the stuff you say about the WI. Remember reading about a match where Bishan Singh Bedi declared the innings closed because of intimidatory bowling. They were no paragons of virtue but there is always something about the Windies that makes them likeable.
Less press presence around them at the time helped I think. Imagine if the press was reporting Viv's nocturnal activities in the same way as they did Warne's.

smash84

The Tiger King
Less press presence around them at the time helped I think. Imagine if the press was reporting Viv's nocturnal activities in the same way as they did Warne's.
Was Viv quite famous for his nocturnal activities? I only know of his affair with Nina Gupta.

Imran Khan was quite often reported in the press. Possible more so than Warne I would presume.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Rob, I have a real tough assignment for you!

Can you compile all the grumpy/uncalled for comments from Ian Chappel in last few years?:-O :-O

This would be real challenge but seeing what you have already put out there, you should be able to get in with all the collection that you have Should make one heck of a clip!
Tough ask, but a good ask.

smash84

The Tiger King
btw what happened to Patrick Patterson. I remember he used to be one of the fastest bowlers in the world at one time. According to Bagapath he was last seen selling crack at a beach in the Caribbean?

Does anybody know why his career ended so soon. Seemed like a decent bowler.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
btw what happened to Patrick Patterson. I remember he used to be one of the fastest bowlers in the world at one time. According to Bagapath he was last seen selling crack at a beach in the Caribbean?

Does anybody know why his career ended so soon. Seemed like a decent bowler.
Can only remember him hobbling off the Gabba in 1992, did he play after that? Off to cricinfo.....

Top_Cat

Was Viv quite famous for his nocturnal activities? I only know of his affair with Nina Gupta.
No he definitely wasn't 'famous', was very discreet about it. Was very coy about it in his autobio too but basically admitted to it ("I'm a man, a man has needs, my wife understood this, " etc.) and from what I've heard, was a bit of a player (rumours, may be exaggerated, etc.)

One more humble request to Rob and, to be honest, this'd be low priority because I think I'd be the only one interested but do you have any footage of SA's Shield win in 95/95?

Last edited: