• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would love to see some Malcolm Marshall. Distinct lack of footage of him considering how great he was.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the TV coverage in the Windies in the 80s wasn't that great iirc (Camps or someone to confirm or deny). Certainly the first Aussie tour I can remember being telecast back to Australia from there was 91, by which time MM was still about, but not at his peak any more.

Was a great series too tbh. Lots and lots of acrimony as well.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Ive got loads of footage from the WI in WI in the 80's, but its crappy stuff. They didnt broadcast properly from the WI until the late 80's, when NZ toured in 87, and India in 89, after that it was much better- Sky in 1990, Ch 9 in 1991, the quality remained good after that. But all the previous years there was virtually no coverage which is insane, ive uploaded Viv's fastest test ton, that was the best quality seen for years out of the WI, and its crap. The famous India and Aus tours to WI in the early 80's werent even televised properly in the WI, same for all the 70's stuff. There's bits and pieces of amateur stuff, even some footage with commentary but its basically a one camera operation, which is crazy for the 80's.

smash84

The Tiger King
Ive got loads of footage from the WI in WI in the 80's, but its crappy stuff. They didnt broadcast properly from the WI until the late 80's, when NZ toured in 87, and India in 89, after that it was much better- Sky in 1990, Ch 9 in 1991, the quality remained good after that. But all the previous years there was virtually no coverage which is insane, ive uploaded Viv's fastest test ton, that was the best quality seen for years out of the WI, and its crap. The famous India and Aus tours to WI in the early 80's werent even televised properly in the WI, same for all the 70's stuff. There's bits and pieces of amateur stuff, even some footage with commentary but its basically a one camera operation, which is crazy for the 80's.
Does footage exist between the epic Pak-WI series of 1988????

robelinda

Yes it does, but its extremely crap. I have one of the tests and the actual picture quality is good, but you cant see whats going on due to the abysmal camera work, i'm sure it wasnt broadcast quality. In my travels ive found that ive able to get my hands on most test series that were broadcast properly, people always have hidden treasures, but cricket in India, WI, Pakistan and SL in the 70's and 80's is so hard to find, mostly due to the lack of broadcasting, or extremely localised broadcasting. Even in Australia through out the 80's and early 90's people in country areas werent getting Ch 9 broadcasts of Aussie home tests, the ABC had to do it and it was very poor stuff, worse than in the 70's.

smash84

The Tiger King
That 1988 Pak-WI series was arguably the finest test series of the 1980s. Viv's unbeaten team against Imran's tigers. It would have made for awesome viewing had there been proper footage. Still one of Imran's biggest regrets to have not been able to win that series in 1988.

robelinda

Ive got some of the 87 NZ to the WI, and the India tour to the WI in 89, and both are close to unwatchable. The India series was better produced, but quite appalling for late 80's standards, and certainly in 1990 when England toured WI the quality is excellent.

bagapath

International Captain
Ive got some of the 87 NZ to the WI, and the India tour to the WI in 89, and both are close to unwatchable. The India series was better produced, but quite appalling for late 80's standards, and certainly in 1990 when England toured WI the quality is excellent.
it features one of the grittiest knocks ever by an indian batsman in test cricket; shastri's 108 in barbados against marshall, ambrose, walsh and bishop in the third innings is something he can be proud of all his life. against that bowling attack on that wicket, just laying bat to ball would have been worthy of an MBE. this knock of his was test batting at its finest. really wish there is some quality highlights of that innings available somewhere. but if robelinda doesnt have it, then i am pretty sure it is not on tape anywhere.

Last edited:

robelinda

I'm quite surprised there arent millions on Indians who dont have all that 80's stuff, it was only broadcast in India so the odds of me having it is slim, anything i have from that period ive bought from India, so there are guys who have the stuff. From what people in Pakistan, India and WI tell me hardly anyone actually had VCR's back then even in the 80's and no-one bothered to tape cricket. I certainly know hundreds of guys in Aus and Eng who taped almost everything they could once they bought a VCR in either the late 70's or early 80s, i guess that didnt happen in other test cricket playing countries.

robelinda

Actually I have one complete match from the India 89 tour to the WI, its a one day match that bought from the WI off ebay, and it was a local produced video, not the worst, but a terrible match, I dont remember much about it but India get thrashed, they make 170 or something, WI batsmen cash in, someone makes a huge score, cant remember who. Crap match to bother producing on video.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I'm quite surprised there arent millions on Indians who dont have all that 80's stuff, it was only broadcast in India so the odds of me having it is slim, anything i have from that period ive bought from India, so there are guys who have the stuff. From what people in Pakistan, India and WI tell me hardly anyone actually had VCR's back then even in the 80's and no-one bothered to tape cricket. I certainly know hundreds of guys in Aus and Eng who taped almost everything they could once they bought a VCR in either the late 70's or early 80s, i guess that didnt happen in other test cricket playing countries.
VCRs were a luxury in the pre-liberalization India of the 1980s. In my small town of 25000 people, for example, there were about 5000 cricket fans/ 10 full fledged teams of various age groups. But there were only 10 television sets until 1987. the first TV came to our town in 1983, and we would see only Sri Lankan television until 1986 when a broadcast tower was opened in a nearby hillstation to carry the TV signal from the state capital, Chennai. by the next year, 1987, there were about 100 TV sets all over the town.

Even in Chennai, one TV set must have been available for every 100 households or so until 1991. VCRs in our town were available only for rent for many many years for wedding and special occasions. So recording games was not affordable for the majority.

Last edited:

robelinda

Yeah thats what I thought. Weird stuff I guess, I remember my parents getting their 2nd VCR in 1980, the first one didnt last too long. But I can clearly remember- even though I was 3 years old- playing with the remote ( it was those old ones on a lead), and taping kids shows for a little while then moving onto cricket slowly.

So when did technology go crazy in India? My impression was that India was some technology mad country and every little hut has a satellite dish.

bagapath

International Captain
things have been getting better ever since the economy opened up in 1991. that and the growth of software industry in the last 25 years have pushed up the living standards of the indian middle class. there is still poverty, social inequality, corruption, environmental degradation, religious intolerance, misappropriation of public resources and over population pulling the country down. but there is also a spring in the step of most young indians because of a collective effort to make the country better, with a wider and more diverse job market, industrialization, women empowerment, affordable higher education, affordable healthcare, progress in creating and using new technology, sense of unity and self confidence. i think i will die in a better india than the one i was born in.

smash84

The Tiger King
things have been getting better ever since the economy opened up in 1991. that and the growth of software industry in the last 25 years have pushed up the living standards of the indian middle class. there is still poverty, social inequality, corruption, environmental degradation, religious intolerance, misappropriation of public resources and over population pulling the country down. but there is also a spring in the step of most young indians because of a collective effort to make the country better, with a wider and more diverse job market, industrialization, women empowerment, affordable higher education, affordable healthcare, progress in creating and using new technology, sense of unity and self confidence. i think i will die in a better india than the one i was born in.
Well said.........

Good to hear that mate. The Pakistan that i am living in seems to just get worse and worse everyday. The only person that gives me some hope is Imran Khan but he will probably never become head of state. There is so much potential here but at the same time so many things that are just pulling us down and down...........I hope things start moving up soon