• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test team of the year 2006

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
aussie said:
Very solid only debate probably is you could have Ntini in there of Lee or Asif..
Lee is in there over Ntini because of pace. If I had had Akhtar as a choice it'd probably be Akhtar and Ntini. It may seem like poor reasoning but, eh....its just a list.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
pskov said:
Tests

Strauss
Dravid
Younis
Jayawardene*
Younis
Sangakkara+
Flintoff
Ntini
Muralitharan
Panesar
Asif
Wow, younis is in there twice. Panesar beats out Warne, and Ponting is nowhere to be found!

I knew you guys have high hopes for Panesar, but isn't it just a tad early to put him over Warne?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Wow, younis is in there twice. Panesar beats out Warne, and Ponting is nowhere to be found!

I knew you guys have high hopes for Panesar, but isn't it just a tad early to put him over Warne?
Atleast there's no Broad is his team.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Love Ponting being left out there. The guy's played, what, 6 tests this year for 5 centuries, with 5 of those tests coming on fairly sporting wickets? Not good enough.

warne_94

Cricket Spectator
my team

my team will be:

opener-1=Sehwag
opener-2=Jayasuriya
3=Ricky Ponting(CAPTAIN)
4=K.Pieterson
5=M.E.K Hussey
6=A.Gilchrist (WK)
7=A.Razzaq
8=S.Warne
9=M.Asif
10=B.Lee
11=S.Akhtar

SUPER SUB=GIBBS

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
974 runs at an average over 60, with scores of 185 and 287 in the mix. What has he done wrong exactly?

And yet you pick Hayden and Sehwag...

Matthew Hayden 2006: 432 runs @ 39.27
Virender Sehwag 2006: 746 runs @ 46.62

One has been mediocre, the other has cashed in on two big innings - 254 and 180. Take those out and Sehwag has averaged 22.28.

Remove Sangakkara's two big knocks and he still averages 35.85.

Even if you're not convinced, you have to pick a wicketkeeper, and who deserves it more than he does?
I dont deny his claims as a batsman. I would have put him as one of the openers and didnt do it mainly because he isnt always opening. If you think thats a specious argument its okay. You can put him in place of one of the openers.

For wicket keeping, while Sangakarra is not a bad keeper, I dont think he is the best in the world and with a side that has Younis at 6 and Flintoff at 7 we can do with a better wicket keeper even if he is not one of the worlds leading batsmen. After all here is a side that has left out Inzy amongst others.

I consider Kamran Akmal, for example, as a better wicket keeper. I know many disagree but then its purely a personal opinion. :)

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
According to the list shown provided, i would go with

V Sehwag
A Strauss
R Ponting
R Dravid (C)
M Jayawardene
A Flintoff
K Sangakarra (WK)
S Warne
B Lee
M Murali
M Ntini

Craig

World Traveller
silentstriker said:
You have Jaffer in there, over but not Sehwag? You have ajayawardene and Yousef in there, but not Dravid? YOu also have Hoggard in there but not someone like Ntini (who is #2 on the bowlers list). Ntini I can understand if you leave out, since I like Hoggard..but still...
Alright I admit, I hardly get the chance to watch a lot of cricket in the last few years, especially in England, which is why I seldom visit CC these days.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
You joking right.
No. Three Test series in 2006. He did well in India. He was underpar against Sri Lanka, especially with the bat, and he hasn't played at all against Pakistan.

Andrew Strauss
Verinder Sehwag
Ricky Ponting*
Mohammad Yousuf
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Kumar Sangakkara+
Andrew Flintoff
Brett Lee
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Mohammad Asif

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
No. Three Test series in 2006. He did well in India. He was underpar against Sri Lanka, especially with the bat, and he hasn't played at all against Pakistan.
yea i know he under-performed with the bat vs Sri Lanka, but for all-rounders this year so far his performances are still the best & definately deserves to be considered in the all-rounder position.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS said:
I consider Kamran Akmal, for example, as a better wicket keeper. I know many disagree but then its purely a personal opinion. :)
It's about 2006 though. Has he really been that poor with the gloves in 2006? Because Kamran Akmal certainly hasn't shone with the gloves this year.

Mr Mxyzptlk

warne_94 said:
my team will be:

opener-1=Sehwag
opener-2=Jayasuriya
3=Ricky Ponting(CAPTAIN)
4=K.Pieterson
5=M.E.K Hussey
6=A.Gilchrist (WK)
7=A.Razzaq
8=S.Warne
9=M.Asif
10=B.Lee
11=S.Akhtar

SUPER SUB=GIBBS
Oh yes, Abdul Razzaq who averages 33.88 with the bat and 34.77 with the ball this year. Flintoff averages 38.87 with the bat and 30 with the ball. Then there's Jayasuriya with a mighty Test average of 20.62, as opposed to Andrew Strauss with 3 tons and an average of 46.50.

Then there's Adam Gilchrist who has 230 of his 290 runs in 2 of 8 innings this year. He averages 36.50 with the bat. Oh, and of that 230, one of the innings was 144... against Bangladesh.

Shane Warnes 31.21 Test average isn't exactly Murali quality either. And then there's Shoaib, with a mighty average of 63podd... with the ball.

Have you followed cricket at all this year?

EDIT: And Herschelle Gibbs averages less than 25. What?!

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Kweek said:
no, I do not think so..and I agree..what precisly has Flintoff performed this year?
More than the other allrounders.

3 failures to pass 40 in 8 complete innings, with 4 consecutive half-centuries as captain in India (+ 33* and 4*). And 23 wickets in 6 Tests isn't the worst either, especially when 3 of those Tests were in India.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

3 failures to pass 40 in 8 complete innings, with 4 consecutive half-centuries as captain in India (+ 33* and 4*). And 23 wickets in 6 Tests isn't the worst either, especially when 3 of those Tests were in India.
He has not saved the world™, and hence underperformed.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Au contraire. Think of what the tabloids would have said if England lost in India.
"Who cares?" several pages into the middle behind the story about Steve Flack's stubbed toe?

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

So what he gets in by default because there is no better all-rounder? I'm not being critical but that is how I read it from the other posts and the like?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
So what he gets in by default because there is no better all-rounder? I'm not being critical but that is how I read it from the other posts and the like?
If there needs to be an allrounder, yes. If not he's still played well this year. Probably not an Ashes-worthy performance, but given the circumstances, not too bad at all.