Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: England's ideal ODI squad

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Hogg - 1 50 in 31 knocks
    Vaas - 1 50 in 89 knocks
    Lee - 1 50 in 9 knocks
    Pollock - 4 50s in 63 knocks (but note that he's batted more at 7 or above than at 8)
    Agarkar - 2 50s in 53 knocks
    Boucher - 2 50s in 18 knocks (but again he's batted far more at 6 or 7 than at 8)
    Razzaq 4 50s in 24 knocks (and you've guessed it he usually bats further up the order, notice a pattern here?)
    Afridi - 2 50s in 21 knocks (but guess what, he noramlly bats a lot higher)
    Dhoni - No 50 in 3 knocks
    Pathan - 1 50 in 14 knocks.

So a total of this "small sample" - 18 50s in 325 inngins, so prolific (!)

However remove the higher order batsmen who've dropped down and it's 6 in 199.
    But when you look at SA's and Pak's line-ups, at times these guys are legitimately the number 8 batsmen for the side.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    The fact does not change that people have scored 50s at #8, so I dont really see your point.
    My point is that it is a very rare occurance, yet you're jumping on Read for not doing it in not a very large number of innings.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    But when you look at SA's and Pak's line-ups, at times these guys are legitimately the number 8 batsmen for the side.
    So SA line up with both Boucher and Pollock at 8 then (even though both have batted higher than 8 on far more times than they've batted 8?)

Likewise Pakistan have both Razzaq and Afridi at 8?

Ah, an excellent, indepth and insightful defence of Read as a quality ODI batsmen
    That's funny i could've sworn he's been picked as a wicketkeeper first and foremost.

The contributions with the bat are a secondary consideration, because he's at number 8, not number 5 or 6.

Incidentally he's got to 20 on 10 out of the 21 times he's had to bat - fairly consistent for a lower order player, but instead you moan that he's only scoring 9 runs per game...

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    So SA line up with both Boucher and Pollock at 8 then (even though both have batted higher than 8 on far more times than they've batted 8?)

Likewise Pakistan have both Razzaq and Afridi at 8?
    Outside of semantics...

Both teams have fairly flexible line-ups, in which case depending on form and the situation, these batsmen can be legitmately the no. 8 batsmen for their country in ODIs.

If they're legitimately the number 8 how come they have played many more times at 6 or 7 than at 8 then?

As have been detailed in previous posts, he bats low down for his county, low down for England, has an average domestic One Day record and has a top score of 30 in 33 ODIs.

So yes, saying all that Id still take him over Foster and Jones. I have him behind Pothas and Prior

Your turn, make the arguement that he isnt.
    Thats is not everything, we all have seen Read, Prior, Foster & domestic & more importantly international level & is quite obvious that Read is the best candidate for England ATM.

As have been detailed in previous posts, he bats low down for his county, low down for England, has an average domestic One Day record and has a top score of 30 in 33 ODIs.

So yes, saying all that Id still take him over Foster and Jones. I have him behind Pothas and Prior
    Prior's a non-starter for mine. He had his chance last winter, batting up the order without the gloves to concern him & still averages less in ODIs than Read, who's an infinitely superior keeper.

If qualified I'd certainly say Pothas is worth a punt, if only as (by necessity given his age) a short-term option until (say) Davies @ Worcestershire steps up.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information