• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's ideal ODI squad

Shabash Tapash

Cricket Spectator
James Benning
Marcus Trescothick
Mark Ramprakash
Kevin Pieterson
Vikram Solanki (c)
Matt Prior
Jamie Dalrymple
Andrew Flintoff
Adrian Mascharenhas
Jimmy Anderson
Mudhsuden Panesar

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Salamuddin said:
Welll his figures may not be great....but obviously someone thinks he has some ability otherwise he wouldn't be picked.

Put it this way, it's either him or Mahmood and I can't possibly see how he can be worse than the Saj
I think you just proved yourself wrong there:p

open365

pskov said:
For a non-English born ODI XI, England could pick...

Prior+ (South Africa)
Joyce (Ireland)
Law* (Australia)
Pietersen (South Africa)
Shah (India)
Spearman (New Zealand)
Trott (South Africa)
Ervine (Zimbabwe)
Gibson (West Indies)
Brown (Scotland)
Caddick (New Zealand)

Strauss qualifies (born in South Africa), but obviously isn't good enough.

The attack is a man short and just a tad old, but they couldn't do much worse than the current side.
Spearman could play for England???

Is that true?

If it is, get him in the side right now, right this very instance, he's the kind of player England need.

Loye too.

And Marc, Ramprakash was given 50 test matches to prove he can't play at international level, Loye hasn't even got an ODI.

open365

As for the team, i would love to see it being like this eventualy:

1.Loye
2.Tres
3.Spearman
4.Pietersen
5.Freddy
6.Collingwood
7.Dalrymple
8.Read/Prior/Foster
9.Jon Lewis
10.Anderson
11.Harmison

And Bell in for Spearman if he isn't playing well

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i think these stats give a better indication actually:
2004 Natwest Series 5 4 0 0 0 20 28 7.00 1 0
2004 NatWest Challenge 3 2 1 1 0 *79 83 83.00 3 0
2004 ICC Champions Trophy 4 4 2 1 0 *80 141 70.50 1 0
2004-2005 ZIM v ENG 4 3 0 0 0 7 13 4.33 5 0
2004-2005 SAF v ENG 7 5 0 0 0 40 87 17.40 3 0
2005 Natwest Series 7 5 2 1 1 *112 187 62.33 4 0
2005 NatWest Challenge 3 2 0 0 0 34 43 21.50 0 0
2005-2006 PAK v ENG 5 5 1 0 0 *34 115 28.75 5 0
2005-2006 IND v ENG 6 6 1 2 0 93 229 45.80 4 0
2005-2006 IRE v ENG 1 1 0 0 0 10 10 10.00 2 0
2006 ENG v SRL 3 3 0 1 0 56 89 29.67 1 0
2006 NatWest Series 4 3 0 1 0 61 110 36.67

in the last 2 years, hes had 4 good series, 2 of which were inflated by playing zimbabwe and bangladesh, and his stats in those series were dismal when you remove those games therefore those 2 series can be disregarded. the remaining 2 successful series have both been against india.
Well i must be watching the wrong Collingwood but from what i've seen he hasn't had a bad series in the past year.

Although what you are saying is true, i really dont think England are in a position that Collingwood should or will be dropped any time soon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shabash Tapash said:
James Benning
Marcus Trescothick
Mark Ramprakash
Kevin Pieterson
Vikram Solanki (c)
Matt Prior
Jamie Dalrymple
Andrew Flintoff
Adrian Mascharenhas
Jimmy Anderson
Mudhsuden Panesar
Welcome dawg, i guess you are the first bloke form Guyana on this site. BTW thats a horirble ODI squad, no way should Ramprakash, Prior, Panesar, Solanki & Benning be there.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
open365 said:
Spearman could play for England???

Is that true?

If it is, get him in the side right now, right this very instance, he's the kind of player England need.
This is the man who played 51 one-day internationals and scored 936 runs @ 18.71.

Not even Rikki's that bad.

Edit: and if you filter out the matches against Zimbabwe, UAE and the Netherlands, it becomes 554 runs @ 14.57...

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
the 2005 natwest series where he got smashed all over the park? Simon Jones has no limited overs experience, even if he is fit hes going to have to play 20-20 and list A cricket before he can make a case for selection.
You sure about that, because Jones certainly wasn't smashed all over the park during the natwest series & challenge last year. From what i remember he showed glimpses of being an effective new ball bowler & bowled very well at the death.

tooextracool said:
With regards to death bowling, Yardy seems to have a reputation for being good at the death, bowls a lot quicker than most spinners and varies his pace well, and Anderson has all the tools to be a good death bowler, assuming he comes back as the Anderson that we saw in Mumbai rather than the one that we've seen before.
Yea Yardy is an option, while as you said Anderson does have the tools if he can bowl like he did in India but i hope he does because like Harmison in the past he does tend to bowl the wrong lenghts at the death.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
This is the man who played 51 one-day internationals and scored 936 runs @ 18.71.

Not even Rikki's that bad.
Only because Clarke hasn't played 51 ODIs, but with an average of 11.07 after 20, he's on course.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
i think these stats give a better indication actually:
2004 Natwest Series 5 4 0 0 0 20 28 7.00 1 0
2004 NatWest Challenge 3 2 1 1 0 *79 83 83.00 3 0
2004 ICC Champions Trophy 4 4 2 1 0 *80 141 70.50 1 0
2004-2005 ZIM v ENG 4 3 0 0 0 7 13 4.33 5 0
2004-2005 SAF v ENG 7 5 0 0 0 40 87 17.40 3 0
2005 Natwest Series 7 5 2 1 1 *112 187 62.33 4 0
2005 NatWest Challenge 3 2 0 0 0 34 43 21.50 0 0
2005-2006 PAK v ENG 5 5 1 0 0 *34 115 28.75 5 0
2005-2006 IND v ENG 6 6 1 2 0 93 229 45.80 4 0
2005-2006 IRE v ENG 1 1 0 0 0 10 10 10.00 2 0
2006 ENG v SRL 3 3 0 1 0 56 89 29.67 1 0
2006 NatWest Series 4 3 0 1 0 61 110 36.67

in the last 2 years, hes had 4 good series, 2 of which were inflated by playing zimbabwe and bangladesh, and his stats in those series were dismal when you remove those games therefore those 2 series can be disregarded. the remaining 2 successful series have both been against india.
And how is most of that recent form?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
open365 said:
And Marc, Ramprakash was given 50 test matches to prove he can't play at international level, Loye hasn't even got an ODI.
Indeed he hasn't, and I'd say he never will because I imagine that Fletcher has watched him and therefore looked past the average to decide if he's likely to do it at a higher level.

My point about Ramprakash (and to a lesser extent Hick) is that he is so dominant in County Cricket, but that is more owing to the lack of quality opposition than anything else.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Indeed he hasn't, and I'd say he never will because I imagine that Fletcher has watched him and therefore looked past the average to decide if he's likely to do it at a higher level.

My point about Ramprakash (and to a lesser extent Hick) is that he is so dominant in County Cricket, but that is more owing to the lack of quality opposition than anything else.
But then Pietersen and Bell have forged lovely little CC careers, among others. It is possible for a player to dominate CC and still do well at international level...

The player needs to be given the chance though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If only England had a guy that averages virtually 40 with the bat over the past 2 years in List A with a strike rate of over 130, also holds the world record for the highest score in a domestic OD game anywhere in the world and has proved he is capable of scoring an ODI ton.

That would surely make them a better team.

...whats that? They do? Really? And he hasn't played for England in the last 5 years? :@

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Well i must be watching the wrong Collingwood but from what i've seen he hasn't had a bad series in the past year.

Although what you are saying is true, i really dont think England are in a position that Collingwood should or will be dropped any time soon.
they arent in a position to drop him even though they've won 1 ODI all summer?
That being said i wouldnt drop him from the squad, id have him there as a replacement player, but if he deserves a place in the XI, then he certainly needs to be doing a better job than that.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And how is most of that recent form?
last 2 years is pretty recent. Fact is that if you take any number of games as being 'recent' while eliminating his tour of India you'd find that his record is very poor. One good series doesnt make a player, if he was in good form he would have had a good series thereafter, which he clearly hasnt.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
You sure about that, because Jones certainly wasn't smashed all over the park during the natwest series & challenge last year. From what i remember he showed glimpses of being an effective new ball bowler & bowled very well at the death.
well an ER of 5.25 is hardly impressive for the series. by and large he and gough would spray it all over the place and it was up to harmison and flintoff to clean it all up.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But then Pietersen and Bell have forged lovely little CC careers, among others. It is possible for a player to dominate CC and still do well at international level...

The player needs to be given the chance though.
Not if his game has been analyzed by those who have watched on a few occasions and they can see where he won't succeed against the top class of bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Goughy said:
If only England had a guy that averages virtually 40 with the bat over the past 2 years in List A with a strike rate of over 130, also holds the world record for the highest score in a domestic OD game anywhere in the world and has proved he is capable of scoring an ODI ton.

That would surely make them a better team.

...whats that? They do? Really? And he hasn't played for England in the last 5 years? :@
I wonder if that has anything to do with his poor efforts when he was put in?

354 runs @ 22.12 don't cry "pick me"