• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 3 for 1986-2006 World XI (Final Selection)

# 3 Position for 1986-2006 World XI (Final Selection)

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Younis Khan

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 22 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Based on the rules stated in the Preliminary Poll for the best # 3 between 1986-2006, the top four vote recipients will now go into a 3-day selection Poll.

Note: The three runner-ups will go into the preliminary Poll for the # 4 position.

The 1986-2006 stats for the # 3 final nominees are:

Rahul Dravid (RHB): 104 tests, 9048 runs @ 58.75, 23 centuries, 46 fifties ---- [6818 @ 61.42]

Younis Khan (RHB): 47 tests, 3884 runs @ 49.16, 12 centuries, 15 fifties ---- [2825 @ 51.36]

Brian Lara (LHB): 128 tests, 11505 runs @ 52.05, 32 centuries, 47 fifties ---- [3484 @ 59.05]

Ricky Ponting (RHB): 105 tests, 8792 runs @ 58.22, 31 centuries, 34 fifties ---- [6294 @ 66.25]

EDIT: Oh yeah, the 1986-2006 World XI so far:

1. Matthew Hayden (LHB): 84 tests, 7326 runs, 53.08, 26 centuries, 26 fifties
2. Saeed Anwar (LHB): 55 tests, 4052 runs, 45.52, 11 centuries, 25 fifties

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lara hasn't really played enough at 3 to win a vote for the position on its own IMO, and is better suited down around 5.

So it's between Dravid and Ponting for me. I've gone Ponting.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Best conversion rate of the four, best average at # 3 since Bradman, most agressive of the four, RHB to complement the two LHB openers, no contest..... Ponting!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Best conversion rate of the four, best average at # 3 since Bradman, most agressive of the four, RHB to complement the two LHB openers, no contest..... Ponting!

Lara is more aggresive than Ponting.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Lara is more aggresive than Ponting.
Sorry, my mistake, but only just...

Lara, SR 60.31
Ponting, SR 58.22
Younis Khan, SR 53.73
Dravid, SR 42.24

At least the Best average at # 3 since Bradman was correct :)

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
What's the point of this? You had your one poll. Ponting won. Why another one? How many bloody polls do you want?

aussie tragic

International Captain
steds said:
What's the point of this? You had your one poll. Ponting won. Why another one? How many bloody polls do you want?
What to do, Members complain that there's too many players in the Poll; please have a smaller group to vote on; the format of a preliminary poll, followed by the top 4-player selection poll is agreed in the Main 1986-2006 World XI thread and now an esteemed CW Staff Member swears at me :(

Resignation pending.........:D

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Sorry, my mistake, but only just...

Lara, SR 60.31
Ponting, SR 58.22
Younis Khan, SR 53.73
Dravid, SR 42.24

At least the Best average at # 3 since Bradman was correct :)

Aggresiveness is more than S/R. Sir Viv's S/R doesn't tell you nearly enough about his aggresiveness.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
What to do, Members complain that there's too many players in the Poll; please have a smaller group to vote on; the format of a preliminary poll, followed by the top 4-player selection poll is agreed in the Main 1986-2006 World XI thread and now an esteemed CW Staff Member swears at me :(

Resignation pending.........:D

You need one poll, and that poll should have three-five choices.

What in the ****ing hell is the point of a poll with 15 choices when 10 of those choices will get zero votes?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
My thoughts entirely. The only people who should change their votes are those who voted for wild, ridiculous options in the first place.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
You need one poll, and that poll should have three-five choices.

What in the ****ing hell is the point of a poll with 15 choices when 10 of those choices will get zero votes?
Oh yeah, and who chooses the 3-5 players. I can't wait to see your outrage because Sir Viv wasn't nominated in the # 5 position ahead of Waugh, Border and Lara 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Oh yeah, and who chooses the 3-5 players. I can't wait to see your outrage because Sir Viv wasn't nominated in the # 5 position ahead of Waugh, Border and Lara 8-)

Make it six then. There aren't more than six people who have a chance to win.

Sir Viv, Waugh, Border, Lara and two others.

Seems fair to me. I doubt anyone will be outraged that Azharuddin didn't make it.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Make it six then. There aren't more than six people who have a chance to win.

Sir Viv, Waugh, Border, Lara and two others.

Seems fair to me. I doubt anyone will be outraged that Azharuddin didn't make it.
What about Inzy, Thorpe, Gower, Kallis, Moh'd Yousif, Mark Waugh and/or the three runner ups from the # 4 position (i.e. maybe Dravid, Younis, Miandad).....oops, we're back to 13.....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
What about Inzy, Thorpe, Gower, Kallis, Moh'd Yousif, Mark Waugh and/or the three runner ups from the # 4 position (i.e. maybe Dravid, Younis, Miandad).....oops, we're back to 13.....

No one would vote for Younis, Mark Waugh, Gower, Thorpse, Inzy, etc. over Sir Viv, Steve Waugh, Lara for #5 test position.

If they do, their votes shouldn't be counted as they are idiots.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lara hasn't really played enough at 3 to win a vote for the position on its own IMO, and is better suited down around 5.

So it's between Dravid and Ponting for me. I've gone Ponting.
whether he has played in that position enough or not, lara is far and away the best batsman in that list....ponting and dravid doesn't come close....

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
steds said:
I kinda agree with you. But seeing as how I have changed my opinion since the first one, I'm not so sure if this is a bad idea. Although, I don't see the point in having Younis in this one.

bagapath

International Captain
i think the decision to have a prelim poll before the final one to bring the choices down to a manageable limit was arrived at after some serious discussion. i believe we will be following this for the remaining middle order slots and the fast bowling options. however, the allrounder, the keeper and the two spinners can be selected at one go. either because the numbers are within manageable limits or because there is no secret about the expected final results. does it sound alright guys?

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
I'm still voting Ponting, with still the exact same reasoning as in the preliminary poll (Lara is a #4 batsman in my book, and Ponting edges out Dravid by a kitten's whisker, so I'm voting Ponting ).

Keep the preliminary / final thingie, gives the whole thing a nice epic feel.