• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 3 for 1986-2006 World XI (Final Selection)

# 3 Position for 1986-2006 World XI (Final Selection)

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Younis Khan

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 22 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Perry Mason said:
You either accept that you can be on the same team as Warne and Thorpe can be on the same poll as Ponting.
I cannot be in the same team as warne based on ability alone, do you not get that through your head? I said 'IF I was selected into the national team, then at least I'd have some ability. And if that were the case, I'd rather get selected and be humiliated, than not selected and never get the chance. There are eleven people who get the chance, and IF I was good enough to get selected, meaning if the selectors decided that I was better than another person to be one of the final eleven, then I would take that chance.

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm, yes - I think I shall change my mind, or shall I?

Ponting at #3 and maybe Lara at #4 and Tendulkar at #5?
Dunno...
(Or Lara, Tendulkar and Waugh?)

I do have to say that Richards at #5 should not be a shoo-in, as post 86 his best days were behind him, I might even rate Inzy above him! :D

Even the all-rounder at #6 may not be as clear cut...

(and yeah, leave bagapath and aussie tragic to do it their way, this poll has been interesting and a lot of fun... _b)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd disagree with that. I'm a big fan of Lara and I think it's fair to say that he's marginally the best in that list, but it's certainly not "far and away". Ponting and Dravid would be greats in any era.

Anyway, I'll vote for Lara further down the list somewhere. He's not a number 3.
then how is it that we've seen their run-fests only in this current decade of increasingly flat tracks and declining bowling attacks? they were considered potentially great batsmen when they came into their respective teams in the 90s but weren't half as dominant/consistent as they have been in this decade....i am big fans of both and i accept that they are both excellent batsmen, but taking all three at their best, these two are no match for brian charles....

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey SS, stop making a fool of yourself. People can vote for who they want, that's why it's a poll. Now (directed at everyone), as Kyle said:

Mister Wright said:
And just leave the guy alone, let him run his thread the way he wants. If you don't like it, don't be involved.
In terms of voting, I'm going Ponting. 66.25 is too hard to pass up, and given his conversion rate (almost one in two fifties end up in hundreds), it's an easy choice for me.

adharcric

International Coach
I'm only voting for Ponting if I get a guarantee from the Aussies that they'll vote Sachin in at #4 or #5, hopefully the former. :D

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
I'm only voting for Ponting if I get a guarantee from the Aussies that they'll vote Sachin in at #4 or #5, hopefully the former. :D

Sure thing...:ph34r:

Or.....how about you vote Ponting in at # 3 so that he can't be voted in at # 4 over Sachin :D

btw, I have no national bias, I just think Ponting is the best for # 3, while Lara and Tendulker should be a very close vote at # 4 (with Border, Crowe, Kallis, Miandad and Jayawardene up there as well).

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
Sure thing...:ph34r:

Or.....how about you vote Ponting in at # 3 so that he can't be voted in at # 4 over Sachin :D

btw, I have no national bias, I just think Ponting is the best for # 3, while Lara and Tendulker should be a very close vote at # 4 (with Border, Crowe, Kallis, Miandad and Jayawardene up there as well).
see, now i don't trust you with the tendulkar > lara vote at #4 ... and then you're aussie, you might try to push waugh for #5 :ph34r:

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
see, now i don't trust you with the tendulkar > lara vote at #4 ... and then you're aussie, you might try to push waugh for #5 :ph34r:
C'mon, Tendulker has 8524 runs @ 57.20 at # 4, why would you be worried :)

Also, no need to push Waugh, his 1986-2006 # 5 stats of 6749 runs @ 56.71 speak for themselves.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie tragic said:
C'mon, Tendulker has 8524 runs @ 57.20 at # 4, why would you be worried :)

Also, no need to push Waugh, his 1986-2006 # 5 stats of 6749 runs @ 56.71 speak for themselves.
And his captaincy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
andyc said:
And his captaincy.

Yea, same with Taylor. If I have either of them in my team, it would be for their captaincy as much as their batting. The same goes with Imran Khan, though he doesn't need to be captain to make my all time side, he probably would be captain anyway.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Armadillo said:
Funny how all four of these are current players.
Not really, the only ex-players that made the preliminary cut at # 3 were Boony, Andrew Jones, Dean Jones and Richardson. I don't think any of these are better than the four in the final vote.

btw, 20 mins left 'till Poll closure......