• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moin Khan or Rashid Latif

Who is the better Wicket Keeper?

• Moin Khan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Rashid Latif

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
These two dominated the Pakistani wicket keepers spot through out the nineties. Just as one had an extended spell in the team, the other was brought back into the frame. But the question is, who did you think was the better player. Here's how I see it,
Moin the better batsman,
Latif the better keeper.
But overall Moin was the better player IMO because he did have the ability to take outstanding catches which no other keeper would have got near despite his not being as reliable with the gloves.
Rashid was a flawless gloveman but his batting often let him down.
Edit: can one of the mods please post a poll as I forgot to do one!

Bouncer

State Regular
Those who followed cricket in the early mid 90's will tell you without hesitation that Rashid Latif was a lot better choice of the two, his wicket keeping was (almost)always flawless, compared to moin who was very orinary for most part of his career.

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine few nights ago and we both agreed that, people who put Moin ahead of Rashid in Batting are people who basically started following cricket in late 90's and for the most part remember the 96 WC where Moin would flick a ball from outside offstump and hit a six over midwicket, or sweep Medium fast/fast bowlers for sixes. that was the best batting form of Moin. I am not denying other countless valuabe innings that Moin played before and after that WC, but what that WC did was to give Moin a reputation of a reliable Batsman that he carries.

Rashid on the other hand was a more than decent batsman, in fact to me more reialbe one, he even scored a 50 on Debute and won some money from Geof Boycott. That was the time when Moin was in constant favor from team managemnt + Selection Committee that started from early 91(Where he took over a very successfull wicketkeeper Salim Yousaf, back in 4th grade i couldnt swollow it.), Moin had constantly done bad behind the stumps and infront of stumps he didnt deliver either, but the team kept on winning the tournaments in those 18 months so he was kept in to keep the team balance(thats the only way i could justify moin's stay even with that bad performance)

Gotta go Boss is back, im at work...i ll finish later:D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bouncer said:
Those who followed cricket in the early mid 90's will tell you without hesitation that Rashid Latif was a lot better choice of the two, his wicket keeping was (almost)always flawless, compared to moin who was very orinary for most part of his career.
Well maybe its because i didn't see much of the two but i'd say Moin was certainly the better batsman while who was the better keeper is highly debatable.

But even so its another area that shows how superbly talented Pakistan where throughout the 90s while Australia were dominant, its too bad old habits of inconsistency hinderd them from achieving great things.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
These two dominated the Pakistani wicket keepers spot through out the nineties. Just as one had an extended spell in the team, the other was brought back into the frame. But the question is, who did you think was the better player. Here's how I see it,
Moin the better batsman,
Latif the better keeper.
But overall Moin was the better player IMO because he did have the ability to take outstanding catches which no other keeper would have got near despite his not being as reliable with the gloves.
Rashid was a flawless gloveman but his batting often let him down.
Edit: can one of the mods please post a poll as I forgot to do one!
as players, latif for sure... a far, far better keeper, moin might have taken spectacular catches but he dropped quite a few as well and wasn't half as reliable as latif....although he wasn't as good as moin with the bat, he was no mug either....and moin wasn't all that consistent....

I found Moin Khan a much better cricketer and Latif just a slag on oppisition players Khan was always the better cricketer but politics is riot in Pakistani Cricket always so he somehow won the spot

Salamuddin

International Debutant
AussieDominance said:
I found Moin Khan a much better cricketer and Latif just a slag on oppisition players Khan was always the better cricketer but politics is riot in Pakistani Cricket always so he somehow won the spot
An Aussie claiming Latif was a slag is highly amusing indeed......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain
Moin was IMHO the best keeper for the spin bowling (and I am waiting for criticism) ...And was an ok keeper for the fasties... Rashid was the best keeper of his time ... Moin had great running b/w the wickets and was an exceptional hitter of the cricket ball .. Moin for me please (just because of his overall cricketing abilities) ..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Is this about who was the better keeper (as the thread header says (or is it about batting as well.

On keeping alone Rashid was technically more correct while Moin was flamboyant. Its like comparing Engineer with Kirmani. Both have their supporters. (Engineer being like Moin).

I would take Moin for one dayers and Rashid for tests simply because Moin was a great judge of the one day situation as a batsman.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
SJS said:
I would take Moin for one dayers and Rashid for tests simply because Moin was a great judge of the one day situation as a batsman.
I remember Latif playing some real decent ODI knocks in his career. He wasn't as good as Moin though. As a keeper, Latif was more athletic and had better reflexes than Moin.