• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aw....carn Dunc...pick Mal Loye

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Mal Loye is an odd one. He has been one of the most prolific batsman in County Cricket for years (admittedly at a time when the England players don't play much County Cricket). He's done everything he can do to get selected yet the selectors obviously consider that he's not good enough dispite the amount of runs he scores.
Allan Wells in the 80's/90's was a similar case and eventually got his chance against the West Indies when he was 33. Unfortunately he was out first ball in the first innings and made 3 not out in the second innings when the match was dead, and was never seen again.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Loye at Lancashire: 4290 first-class runs @ 51.69. His One-Day record isn't as good as I thought, but he's still been destructive at the top of the order for many years. Crime that he hasn't been given a go, particularly since England have been crap at OD cricket for many years. Just look at their World Cup campaigns recently.

Thing is, he's 35 this month, which is too old to do either his career or the England cricket team any good. If he's given a shot and fails, he's cast aside as Shaun Udal II (which would be very unfair). If he does a job in the Champions Trophy/World Cup, he's just a patch hiding this huge hole in England's batting, with no one being ready to replace him after the World Cup.

open365

International Vice-Captain
His time's gone unfortunately, i think he's a terrific player who could suceed at international level but i don't see how they can pick after leaving him out this summer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's in the 30 for the ICC IIRC, so he has at least crossed the selectors' minds.

I think he can consider himself decidely unlucky when you think the likes of Jim Troughton & Graham Lloyd have been given a go.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Judging by the selection of Rikki Clarke, I'd say Loye was too good? He'd make everyone look like fools..
They do that themselves.