• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Nincompoops

Slow Love™

International Captain
Has anybody mentioned Mike Gatting's reverse sweep in the '87 World Cup? Oh, Brumby did...

Speaking of World Cup finals, there's Allan Donald or Lance Klusener, depending on who you like to blame, in 1999...

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
We can add..

11. Inzy for his handling of Pakistan's protest at Oval
12. Kapil for breaking down in public ??
13. Dhoni for trying to murder Monty
14. Rikky Clarke for being out of his depth !!
15. Mick Lewis - because Baconator says so (kidding but do need a clarification)
16. Darell Hair for insisting on being true to himself at the Oval.
17. Tony Greig for putting his foot in his mouth when he said they would (Windies) would grovel when he actually meant themselves (England)
18. John Emburey for being confirming he was competely insensitive to apartheid issues by touring South Africa not once but twice during that period.
19. Aamir Sohail for his misplaced arrogance in showing the Venky where he would hit him and being showed his way back to the pavillion the next ball AND losing the match in the process.
20. Hansir Cronje for being so villaneous that some of the softest hearts found it tough to shed tears when he died so young.
21. Salim Malik for exactly the same reasons as Cronje except he was from the subcontinent where brooms are far more efficient and the carpets far bigger.
22. Azhar for the same reasons as Malik and Cronje.
23. Malcolm Speed for being making a terrible case for professional CEO's to head the game's governing body.
24. Ehsan Mani for being as effective as a broom that was all handle and nothing else.
25. West Indian selectors for the 'inspired' choice of Chanderpaul as captain.
26. Glen McGrath for his 'vision' of a 5-0 result in the Ashes
27. Mark Waugh for being off target about Lara's longevity in the game.
28. Afridi for thinking everyone of the millions watching were as dumb as ....well....himself.
29. Tino Best (for I dont know what)
30. Gatting for that 'sweep of the century' in 87 WC finals.
31. Shoaib Akhtar for tempting fate with his cleaning act.
32. Inzy again for choosing to bat on a bad pitch under unfavourable conditions in the Champions Trophy versus Windies (didnt know he was advised thus by Ganguly)
33. Jagmohan Dalmiya for making mincemeat of the election process by voting for himself not once but four times in the same ballot.
34. Greg Chappell for being "underhand within the law"
35. Shaun Pollock for his 'understanding' of D/L method in a world cup match.
36. Inzy for his consistently maintaning his running-between-the-wicket-standards thorough a long and eventful career and his propensity to falling over himself, his bat, his stumps...a blade of grass and so on.

I have added a couple of new ones as can be seen.

Any more ??
Mick Lewis is for his record breaking spell of 10 overs for 113

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Baconator said:
Mick Lewis is for his record breaking spell of 10 overs for 113
How is that nincompoopery (teehee) though? The man tried his best on perhaps the flattest deck in ODI history against the likes of Herschelle Gibbs on a rampage. He was the worst sufferer of a terrible bunch.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How is that nincompoopery (teehee) though? The man tried his best on perhaps the flattest deck in ODI history against the likes of Herschelle Gibbs on a rampage. He was the worst sufferer of a terrible bunch.
How about Ponting for keeping him on?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nightprowler10 said:
Lara for his out burst at the Dhoni catch.

Reminds me...

Slater for his attack on Dravid, and his AFL style attempt at a catch to get Tendulkar.

Self-destruction in fron of our eyes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay. Here are some compelling cases for addition.

35. Ganguly for his handling of his problems with Chappell on tour (leaking the news to his favourite reporter back home in Kolkata for a start)
36. Greg Chappell again for 'airing' his middle finger out of the window of the team bus.
37. Ponting for his 'arrogantly stupid' captaincy over all.

PS: I have always maintained that there are six types of individuals.

- Those that are smart and know it
- those that are smart and dont know it
- those that are smart and think they are stupid
- those that are stupid and know it
- those that are stupid and dont know it AND
- those that are stupid and think they are smart.​

Its the last category I call arrogantly stupid.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
38. for telling us that 'benefit of the doubt' is a useless concept when we have the alternative of 'just trust the fielding side' . That a batsman should walk not because HE (the batsman himself) thinks he is out but also because the fielding side says so.

39. Slater for appropriating the third umpires role to himself and showing that he has the vocal chords to back that claim.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've got another Slater one.

Slater for getting up and singing Khe Sanh with Jimmy Barnes with a glass or red in hand at the conclusion of the first Alan Border Medal night.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Donald and Klusener top this list for me. I still don't know whether to feel this :laugh: or this :ranting: or even this :cry: about it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ok. So we have 42 entries.

1. Vizzy - Hopeless Captain of India 1936
2. Ashoka DeSilva - International Umpire (entire career I presume)
3. Scott Muller (I am not clear about his claim to fame)
4. Darren Gough (Better dancer or bowler)
5. Shane Warne whose finger was broken 'allegedly' during batting on a cricket field without protection.
6. Shakoor Rana - the Pakistani who brought the Empire on its knees or so he thought with that scrap that ended in scrap paper.
7. Hussain for being too scared (too smart) to bat first in an Ashes test.
8. Ricky Ponting for showing he could be as 'good' a captain as Hussain.
9. Gavaskar who almost beat Inzy for being the first captain to forfeit a match when he walked off the field and asked his batting partner to join him to leave the field.
10 Gavaskar again for showing the world how to chase what was then the highest ever one day international score of 334 - by scoring an unbeaten 36 in 174 deliveries !
11. Inzy for his handling of Pakistan's protest at Oval
12. Kapil for breaking down in public ??
13. Dhoni for trying to murder Monty
14. Rikky Clarke for being out of his depth !!
15. Mick Lewis - for his record breaking spell of 10 overs for 113
16. Darell Hair for insisting on being true to himself at the Oval.
17. Tony Greig for putting his foot in his mouth when he said they would (Windies) would grovel when he actually meant themselves (England)
18. John Emburey for being confirming he was competely insensitive to apartheid issues by touring South Africa not once but twice during that period.
19. Aamir Sohail for his misplaced arrogance in showing the Venky where he would hit him and being showed his way back to the pavillion the next ball AND losing the match in the process.
20. Hansir Cronje for being so villaneous that some of the softest hearts found it tough to shed tears when he died so young.
21. Salim Malik for exactly the same reasons as Cronje except he was from the subcontinent where brooms are far more efficient and the carpets far bigger.
22. Azhar for the same reasons as Malik and Cronje.
23. Malcolm Speed for being making a terrible case for professional CEO's to head the game's governing body.
24. Ehsan Mani for being as effective as a broom that was all handle and nothing else.
25. West Indian selectors for the 'inspired' choice of Chanderpaul as captain.
26. Glen McGrath for his 'vision' of a 5-0 result in the Ashes
27. Mark Waugh for being off target about Lara's longevity in the game.
28. Afridi for thinking everyone of the millions watching were as dumb as ....well....himself.
29. Tino Best for being made to look like a fool by Flintoff's England.
30. Gatting for that 'sweep of the century' in 87 WC finals.
31. Shoaib Akhtar for tempting fate with his cleaning act.
32. Inzy again for choosing to bat on a bad pitch under unfavourable conditions in the Champions Trophy versus Windies (didnt know he was advised thus by Ganguly)
33. Jagmohan Dalmiya for making mincemeat of the election process by voting for himself not once but four times in the same ballot.
34. Greg Chappell for being "underhand within the law"
35. Shaun Pollock for his 'understanding' of D/L method in a world cup match.
36. Inzy for his consistently maintaning his running-between-the-wicket-standards thorough a long and eventful career and his propensity to falling over himself, his bat, his stumps...a blade of grass and so on.
37. Ganguly for his handling of his problems with Chappell on tour (leaking the news to his favourite reporter back home in Kolkata for a start)
38. Greg Chappell again for 'airing' his middle finger out of the window of the team bus.
39. Ponting for his 'arrogantly stupid' captaincy over all.
40.Lara for telling us that 'benefit of the doubt' is a useless concept when we have the alternative of 'just trust the fielding side' . That a batsman should walk not because HE (the batsman himself) thinks he is out but also because the fielding side says so.
41. Slater for appropriating the third umpires role to himself and showing that he has the vocal chords to back that claim.
42. Slater for getting up and singing Khe Sanh with Jimmy Barnes with a glass or red in hand at the conclusion of the first Alan Border Medal night.

We are going to have a round of 32 to start with. Of the 16 line ups, ten first round fights will be of three contestants to get to an even 16 in the next round.

PS: Sorry for the gap in this. I have been busy shifting residence.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ok folks. Here is the first contest of round one. The three contestants are

1. Gavaskar (for his audacious 36 not out in 60 overs in a world cup game)
2. John Emburey (for touring South Africa twice during the Apartheid days)
3. Glen McGrath (for his 5-0 vision of the last Ashes result)

I am going to break convention and caste a vote myself too.

Gavaskar for me.