• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Contrast/Reverse/Normal swing

Steulen

International Regular
Nice nerdy article by a rocket scientist.

Sounds very plausible what he is saying, but as someone who makes a living doing applied research I can only say: back up these experimental data with proof from the field.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, I read it. Agreed with Steulen, and I think it's very odd that he doesn't mention clouds or humidity at all - just look at Saj Mahmood's finest hour in Test cricket to see the effect of that!

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yeah, I read it. Agreed with Steulen, and I think it's very odd that he doesn't mention clouds or humidity at all - just look at Saj Mahmood's finest hour in Test cricket to see the effect of that!
That's kind of a given though. With a humid atmosphere, you've got denser air, resulting in more air passing over the surface off the ball, giving higher pressure differences and therefore more swing.

shankar

International Debutant
Sir Redman said:
That's kind of a given though. With a humid atmosphere, you've got denser air, resulting in more air passing over the surface off the ball, giving higher pressure differences and therefore more swing.
Humid air is actually less denser than dry air. IIRR, there has been no direct correlation found between humidity and amount of swing in the experimental studies thus far!