• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

James

Cricket Web Owner
South Africa A v India - Benoni
16 November

1st ODI - Johannesburg
19 November

2nd ODI - Durban
22 November

3rd ODI - Cape Town
26 November

4th ODI - Port Elizabeth
29 November

Twenty20 - Johannesburg
1 December

5th ODI - Centurion
3 December

South Africa A v India - Potchefstroom
7-10 December

1st Test - Johannesburg
15-19 December

2nd Test - Durban
26-30 December

3rd Test - Cape Town
2-6 January

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
We are over two months away...its a bit early, isn't it? It starts around the same time as the Ashes.

Indian batting lineup in South Africa:

Jaffer: N/A
Sehwag: 2 matches @ 49.66 (Compared to 52)
Dravid: 5 matches @ 42.11 (Compared to 58)
Tendulkar: 9 matches @ 45 (Compared to 55)
Yuvraj: N/A
Kaif: N/A

So, the three mainstrays of the Indian lineup have played a few matches, but all of them below their average, whereas the new guys have not played at all. So the batting is either subpar or inexperienced in South Africa. I feel Dravid may rectify his average, but I do not hold hope for the others. Tendulkar has the experience, but he is returning from injury and on SA tracks, its a big question mark.

The pitches are very different from India, so that will also be a factor. Inexperience will be a huge thing
against them.

Now, lets look at the Indian bowling line up:

Sreesanth: N/A
Munaf: N/A
Pathan: N/A
Harbhajan: 1 match @ 56 (Compared to 29)
Kumble: 9 matches @ 35 (Compared to 28)

Well, if you thought the batting lineup was bad, you're in for a treat now. Bowling attack is even more inexperienced than the batting one. Exception of Kumble, who has played a decent amount of games there, so at least he will know what to expect.

As usual, it will be Kumble and Dravid that give us any hope. But as usual when we're dealing with overseas teams, it won't be enough. West Indies was nice, but this is a much bigger test.

For all my attacks against the inconsistent Indian batting line up (unless of course the tracks are flat, in which case the sheep become lions), it will be the bowling that will be our downfall (as usual).

My Prediction: 2-0 South Africa, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

I fear we might miraculously save one test, or maybe we'll manage to pile up the score in the first innings and thus draw the test that way. Assuming the weather plays nice, I don't see a way to win a test, let alone a series.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
silentstriker said:
We are over two months away...its a bit early, isn't it? It starts around the same time as the Ashes.
Not really, something to discuss that isn't related to English or Australian cricket, and we won't stick the thread until a few weeks prior to the start of the series.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Should be a good series and far more competitive than previous tours. India are yet to win a test match in South Africa.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think this will be a good series for India. A lot of good cricket to look forward to in the coming few months.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
Indian batting lineup in South Africa:
Jaffer: N/A
Sehwag: 2 matches @ 49.66 (Compared to 52)
Dravid: 5 matches @ 42.11 (Compared to 58)
Tendulkar: 9 matches @ 45 (Compared to 55)
Yuvraj: N/A
Kaif: N/A

So, the three mainstrays of the Indian lineup have played a few matches, but all of them below their average, whereas the new guys have not played at all. So the batting is either subpar or inexperienced in South Africa. I feel Dravid may rectify his average, but I do not hold hope for the others. Tendulkar has the experience, but he is returning from injury and on SA tracks, its a big question mark.
South Africa have for the last 10 years had a decent attack, particularly on the home pitches. Sehwag is averaging two less than his career average over two matches, which is not a big enough margin for concern or a large enough sample to make a conclusion from. The South African conditions aren't really that alien to the players anyway, since it's not like a damp English may, or a hard bouncy Australian wicket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Have India ever won a test in South Africa?

I reckon South Africa will win the test series 2-0 & the ODI's will go 3-2 to them as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
Have India ever won a test in South Africa?

I reckon South Africa will win the test series 2-0 & the ODI's will go 3-2 to them as well.
India are 0-4-5 in South Africa.

2-0 to South Africa is my guess as well. And ODI, I think 4-1 to SA.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think India's ODI team is good enough to give the saffies a close series even in=f they are at full-strenght in home conditions. The ODI series could be like the 2000 ODI series when SA was in India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Saffies to take both series. The ODI series should be spectacular though.

I hope so. I don't expect the tests to be very competitive. The ODI, though I think it might br 4-1, might still be very competitive. India did well in SA in 2003, so I can hope.

R_D

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
India to win their first test in SA, eh? I wish I shared your optimism.
hehehe i've noticed you're not a very optimistic are you when it comes to indian team? :p

It must come from all the heart breaks over many years. I'm excited about this series lets hope we don't roll over easy and actually play competitive cricket.

Perry Mason

Cricket Spectator
silentstriker said:
India to win their first test in SA, eh? I wish I shared your optimism.
Listen mate, we get it that you don't rate India's chances in SA. But why the compulsion to respond to each and every post reiterating it ? You've made your stance clear. Now spare us the repeated dose of depression.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Test series may be a drawn one, with no match ending in a result. Both teams are effectively two-man bowling units with the rest being just average or less.

And of course, when the Indians played a Test series in SA, dinosaurs walked the earth, and they're all gone now. History means scratch once the first ball is bowled, although an Indian side of today can compete throughout the Test and ODI series if they're fully fit. Last time, they resembled a casualty ward in flannels, even on their way home.