• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Dravid

International Captain
I refrained from posting in this thread, but now its clear we'll lose so where do we go from here?

What has to change in our batting line up? Anything in bowling?
Drop Sehwag. Gambhir needs to be given a shot against WI and SL, Karthik and Dhoni should be tried out in alternative series to see who to go with in the World Cup

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It was more attitude and tactics then team composition that cost India this game IMO, but I guess that can be debated.

Karthik has definitely given a shake-up to the mix though.
I think it ties in. Running between the wickets was so shoddy from some of the batsmen, the fielding even more so. I don't personally see how you can drop Karthik after this performance, flat pitch or not. He was the only one, other than Ganguly who was remotely positive.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I haven`t seen a lot of today`s play - can someone please tell me why Kumble has been so ineffective?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Drop Sehwag, teach Munaf to field, keep Ganguly despite him not being able to face the short ball, keep Karthik, and maybe switch up between Yuvraj and Dhoni in tests. Kartikh does not deserve to be dropped.
We have a whole middle order that needs a tune up. Karthik might help, but we need better players all the way through from opening to #4-#6.

Dravid

International Captain
I haven`t seen a lot of today`s play - can someone please tell me why Kumble has been so ineffective?
Kumble has been bowling great, just unlucky. I remember there was a ball, to Kallis I believe, a ball that was pitched on off, Kallis expected leg break, turned out to be a wrong urn, Kallis left the ball, and it just barely missed the stumps...I mean just barely.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar needs to shape up and justify his selection. He needs more than "form is temporary, class is permanent" given how long he's been mediocre for. Dare I say, he needs to prove he can still score runs in domestic cricket of some sort. India can do better than a 33 average surely.

The opening partnership needs to be sorted. Jaffer looked pretty reasonable in this series, but he really had very little support, bar Karthik. Whether or not Karthik is the man to slot into the opening role, we shall see, but I very much doubt it.

Sort Sehwag out. Some of the shots he's gotten out to in this series have been positively Read-like.

Laxman needs to put a greater price on his wicket. He's only been dismissed in single figures twice in his last 10 Tests - for ducks - and yet has only crossed 50 five times in that period. And his only hundred in that time came against the West Indies on a pitch where the average per wicket was 47.1.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendulkar needs to shape up and justify his selection. He needs more than "form is temporary, class is permanent" given how long he's been mediocre for. Dare I say, he needs to prove he can still score runs in domestic cricket of some sort. India can do better than a 33 average surely.
Yup.

The opening partnership needs to be sorted. Jaffer looked pretty reasonable in this series, but he really had very little support, bar Karthik. Whether or not Karthik is the man to slot into the opening role, we shall see, but I very much doubt it.
Yup. Gambhir and Jaffer, or someone else.

Sort Sehwag out. Some of the shots he's gotten out to in this series have been positively Read-like.
Drop him. Let him prove himself from the ground up again.

Laxman needs to put a greater price on his wicket. He's only been dismissed in single figures twice in his last 10 Tests - for ducks - and yet has only crossed 50 five times in that period. And his only hundred in that time came against the West Indies on a pitch where the average per wicket was 47.1.
Laxman has always had that problem. His average should have been a lot higher than it is, but bar Australia, he just rarely seems to show up. I have no idea why because watching him against Australia is almost like watching a different player.

Dravid

International Captain
We have a whole middle order that needs a tune up. Karthik might help, but we need better players all the way through from opening to #4-#6.
This would be my lineup

1) Gambhir
2) Jaffer
3) Dravid
4) Tendulkar
5) Ganguly
6) Laxman
7) Kartikh

Dravid

International Captain
So two scores in 60 and one 44 are not enough for some one to be in the team?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aaaand the bowling...

In Sreesanth and Munaf Patel, India seem to have unearthed a couple of very talented bowlers. They should be the basis of a pretty good attack in the next year or two. Zaheer Khan looks generally useless without the new ball, and that surely is a bit of a concern.

Kumble is too much of a centrepiece to the attack still. Given that he's 36 (and yes, spinners can go one for ages) India should be looking toward the future post-Kumble and it doesn't look incredibly promising. By no means should they drop Kumble though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This would be my lineup

1) Gambhir
2) Jaffer
3) Dravid
4) Tendulkar
5) Ganguly
6) Laxman
7) Kartikh
So only one change from this order? That's going to do anything? Our middle order reeks of incompetence. One change at the top of the order would be irrelevant.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Aaaand the bowling...

In Sreesanth and Munaf Patel, India seem to have unearthed a couple of very talented bowlers. They should be the basis of a pretty good attack in the next year or two. Zaheer Khan looks generally useless without the new ball, and that surely is a bit of a concern.

Kumble is too much of a centrepiece to the attack still. Given that he's 36 (and yes, spinners can go one for ages) India should be looking toward the future post-Kumble and it doesn't look incredibly promising. By no means should they drop Kumble though.
Yea, before this test Kumble averaged 17.22 in the series. Problem is, Harbhjan is certainly not a replacement (God, I hope not, plus he is a fingerspinner, so is Powar). Chawla is the only other leg spinner I can think of, and he has years to go, at least.