• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sreesanth and kumble miss out

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just what is SreeSanth's Economy rate ? It's not like he has been coming up with Waqar like figures that most of you are so surprised. Except against England, he has been medicore and after his poor performance in WI, this axe was expected.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Good point Sanz - for a strike bowler, he takes a wicket every 38 balls - not that much of a strike rate really to justify selecting him when he concedes so many runs.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Just what is SreeSanth's Economy rate ? It's not like he has been coming up with Waqar like figures that most of you are so surprised. Except against England, he has been medicore and after his poor performance in WI, this axe was expected.
Hasn't been very good, but his bowling was much better than the stats indicate. If you've watched him the whole time and still don't agree, then I guess we can agree to disagree. He had a bad time in the West Indies ODIs but Munaf wasn't any better. He also turned in a solid performance in the final test, picking up five wickets and important ones at that. Agarkar was good and Pathan is the "veteran all-rounder" so they were expected to stay. I guess RP Singh was asked to prove himself in the A tour and did pretty well, so he deserves a boost of confidence. Not such a terrible selection, but Sreesanth didn't necessarily deserve an immediate dropping. I don't know why they couldn't wait until the end of the tri-series to select the team fair and square. Well, it's the BCCI .. hard to understand why they do what they do.

Now, the way our luck usually runs, Sreesanth can be expected to impress in the tri-series and make the selectors feel like idiots. Remember the VRV selection versus England on the first day of the warmup ... only to see Munaf destroy the English lineup on the second and third days. :)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Sreesanth's figures are so bad, Munaf's ODI bowling average of 117.50 at 5.73 runs per over is much better.

Sreesanth is better than what's in the squad, I think that's the main point people are trying to make here. No one is saying he'd a champion or anything.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
silentstriker: if you don't have anything useful to say, don't bother
If, by useful, you mean blind praise, dont you?

I don't rate Sreesanth or Munaf Patel as international quality pace bowlers. Maybe they could grace some county attack as change up bowlers. They are workable bowlers that can fill in, and will keep rotating in and out of the side. They'll play their 15-30 tests, and that'll be that. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it'll happen.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
If, by useful, you mean blind praise, dont you?

I don't rate Sreesanth or Munaf Patel as international quality pace bowlers. Maybe they could grace some county attack as change up bowlers. They are workable bowlers that can fill in, and will keep rotating in and out of the side. They'll play their 15-30 tests, and that'll be that. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it'll happen.
No, but you're completely the opposite. Blind criticism isn't good either, which is what you're often guilty of. It's pretty obvious that the new crop of Indian pacers have some potential and face it, they haven't done that badly in the opportunities given so far either (in Tests, that is).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dasa said:
No, but you're completely the opposite. Blind criticism isn't good either, which is what you're often guilty of. It's pretty obvious that the new crop of Indian pacers have some potential and face it, they haven't done that badly in the opportunities given so far either (in Tests, that is).

I never said they didn't have 'some potential'. I am saying thats not anything new. Pathan and Balaji had potential in Pakistan. Agarkar had the potential to be the next Kapil Dev. Zaheer Khan had the yorker that had the potential to be as good as Waqar.

Indian pace bowling history is full of 'potential'. And unless and until someone reaches that potential, they will always be doubted.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Yeah Sreesanth's figures are so bad, Munaf's ODI bowling average of 117.50 at 5.73 runs per over is much better.

Sreesanth is better than what's in the squad, I think that's the main point people are trying to make here. No one is saying he'd a champion or anything.
Did you hear me defending Munaf Patel's inclusion ? Has Munaf replaced Sreesanth in the squad ?

Since you are so quick to bring on the stats, Why dont you look @ RP Singh's figures who has replaced Sree Santh ?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
I never said they didn't have 'some potential'. I am saying thats not anything new. Pathan and Balaji had potential in Pakistan. Agarkar had the potential to be the next Kapil Dev. Zaheer Khan had the yorker that had the potential to be as good as Waqar.

Indian pace bowling history is full of 'potential'. And unless and until someone reaches that potential, they will always be doubted.
That's what you're implying though, with comments like:
silentstriker said:
I don't rate Sreesanth or Munaf Patel as international quality pace bowlers. Maybe they could grace some county attack as change up bowlers. They are workable bowlers that can fill in, and will keep rotating in and out of the side. They'll play their 15-30 tests, and that'll be that."

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dasa said:
That's what you're implying though, with comments like:

I don't see how they conflict. They aren't international test quality bowlers yet. They might have the potential to be, but they aren't there yet. So as of right now, my comments stand. I don't put much faith in 'potential', as 90% of the time, Indian pace bowler with pontential does not pan out.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I think you are just grasping at straws there SS. Just admit you are a harsh on our bowlers; its not a bad thing. Saves the heartbreak when bowler after bowler falls through..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
viktor said:
I think you are just grasping at straws there SS. Just admit you are a harsh on our bowlers; its not a bad thing. Saves the heartbreak when bowler after bowler falls through..

I don't think I have to grasp very hard when it concerns the Indian pace attack. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's wrong with either players' test records at the moment? Both average under 30 with the ball (Sreesanth 29.78, Munaf 28.33) and both have hardly bowled on bowler friendly tracks, so I reckon they've done a very good job. It was India's batting which let them down against England, and India bowled well for 3 out of 4 tests against WI, and the one they didn't the pitch was unbelievably flat.

You're being overly critical on Munaf and Sreesanth simply because they are being hyped by some people. Who cares whether they are being hyped or not, forget that and judge them objectively. And if you are objective, you'll see they are doing pretty well. Nothing ground breaking, but no proper Indian cricket fan is claiming them to be the next Waqar or McGrath.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Wow,the thread title refers to both Sreesanth & Kumble but there's hardly a mention of the latter...

I dont think I'll ever understand the selection committee (or maybe there isn't anything to understand at all),if they are keeping AK in their WC plans as they are saying then when are they going to give him an ODI place...for me its now or never.

As for Sreesanth,I dont care the least...he is as useful (or useless) as Munaf,Zaheer,RP,Balaji... so it doesn't really matter who gets picked amongst them

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The 'rotation' excuse, for which Sreesanth was left out, may be a valid reason. Expect RP Singh or Munaf Patel or even Irfan Pathan (on present form) to miss the next series. But what about Agarkar? How does he figure in nearly every series squad despite doing nothing except being very lucky? Looking at the little man, it doesn't take a Bob Woolmer or even a Sarfraz Nawaz to figure that he's not going to go places. Moreover, you have to compare him with the likes of Hoggard, Gough, Ntini, Gillespie, Brett Lee, Pollock, Akhtar and other well-established bowlers in action. He's way behind all of them! This is why the Indians have struggled to win tournaments in the last five years before Chappell entered the scene. If he's India's best bowler, then the likes of Sreesanth, Munaf, RP and even VRV are (or should be) forgiven. At least age is on their side and so is power and build, so they're worth persisting with for the next four years. They don't need to take a backward step.

Sreesanth's high economy rate is acceptable as long as he tries to attack the batsman and get a wicket in nearly every bowler. He's fast, he's aggressive, and that's clear in his occasional bouncer and that look towards the batsman as he walks back to his run-up. He's not only reasonably accurate, he's also developed a more-than-useful outswinger, which is a major value addition. He was forming a good partnership with Irfan, and the move to drop him was thus highly questionable. His average is a little on the higher side, but a good tournament or two can crunch that, as has often been the case with Agarkar or even Zaheer.

Kumble may be a spent force in ODI's, but we see Harbhajan Singh, India's best ODI spinner, merely saving his economy, unlike in Tests, where he's a top quality spinner. His declining ODI form (which is surprising) and negative value addition (can't bat, weak on the field) is what may go against him in ODI's. That said, his batting has improved and hopefully his fielding has, too. If he bowls the way he has in Tests, winning many a match for India, he'd be an automatic pick for the ODI side, although the Harbhajan-Powar pair is doing rather well at present.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Arjun said:
that's clear in his occasional bouncer and that look towards the batsman as he walks back to his run-up.
You show aggresiveness through your bowling not your looks, and 82mph bouncers are hardly that. Kallis is going to laugh his face off when Sreesanth gives him that look after delivering an 'aggresive' delivery at 82mph that got slapped for a boundry. Its much more menacing if Akhtar or Lee give you an aggresive look, Sreesanth giving an agressive look just releases some tension for a batsman, because its nothing if not humorous.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
You show aggresiveness through your bowling not your looks, and 82mph bouncers are hardly that. Kallis is going to laugh his face off when Sreesanth gives him that look after delivering an 'aggresive' delivery at 82mph that got slapped for a boundry. Its much more menacing if Akhtar or Lee give you an aggresive look, Sreesanth giving an agressive look just releases some tension for a batsman, because its nothing if not humorous.
You don't know what to expect in the next delivery. He may just get a wicket. Maybe two, three or more.

Remember. This bowler has taken six wickets in an innings against England, a team that has had a world-class pace attack, and the Indians had won that match.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Arjun said:
You don't know what to expect in the next delivery. He may just get a wicket. Maybe two, three or more.

Remember. This bowler has taken six wickets in an innings against England, a team that has had a world-class pace attack, and the Indians had won that match.
Um, English batting line up does not exactly make people stay up at night. Neither does West Indies. SA (in SA), Pakistan (in pakistan), Sri Lanka (in sri lanka) and Australia (anywhere) are the real tests.

deeps

International 12th Man
he can knock it up to 145 or so, which equates to 90mph which is very sharp.

he is the most intelligent of all india's bowlers, bar kumble and tendulkar.

and as has been pointed out, he's young and has had a brief career, so his figures arren't good to go by.

Remember, he's been VERY unlucky, i remember A LOT of dropped catches off his bowling in his first few matches in particular. He's given a lot of chances

I think India need to make a stand with Agarkar, he's neither in nor out of the side. Seriously need to make up their mind. I'd throw him out now and develop a younger bowler. The one i'd go for is Sreesanth. Intelligent, good action so should avoid injuries more, good outswinger et.c