• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif vs Umar Gul?

Better bowler?

• Total voters

HowsThat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who do you think is a better bowler? a lot is being said about Asif, but ppl tend to ignore Gul who seems to be a very similar bowler to Asif, both looks to be initially inspired by Glen McGrath.I'm actually surprise to see Naved in side at the expense of Gul, who was clearly the best Pak bowler in the test series.

Rob T

Cricket Spectator
Obviously Asif is better.Rana has been Pakistans best odi bowler for the last year or so

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Asif by plenty for me. Looks to be a real talent.

I would possibly say Gul is in better nick with the ball than Naved just now (although for me he didn't bowl quite as badly as his figures would suggest, rather that he was targetted because we found Shoaib & Asif so hard to score off), but Gul is a bit of a bunny with the bat & Naved is pretty useful so will probably keep his spot.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Every line-and-length bowler is supposedly "inspired by Glenn McGrath". Gul is not as good as Asif. That seems fairly clear. Rana is normally devestating, but in this series, he hasn't been getting the swing he normally gets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Asif by a fair bit. They may be fairly close on talent, but in actually turning that talent into results and performance, its Asif by a long shot.

dinu23

International Debutant
I knew Asif had talent when he was here in SL last time round. few members disagreed.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
HowsThat said:
I'm actually surprise to see Naved in side at the expense of Gul, who was clearly the best Pak bowler in the test series.
I disagree. Shahid Nazir for me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
That's like comparing Steve Harmison to Sajid Mahmood...
nah the gap isn't that big in ability at all, Asif is better but Gul is also very good. Maybe if you were comparing Asif to Sami it would be like that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would rate Asif above Gul quite easily. I think Gul tends to be rather inconsistent with his line and length now and then and I am not sure if he has the natural inswinger that Asif bowls so well as a change to the normal outswinger.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Asif is more accurate then Gul atm, but dont forget guys Gul is a yard faster plus he is only 21 which means he has enough time to improve his control.

I will not be surprised if Gul ends up being a better bowler thenb Asif if he improves his accuracy.