• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some questions from a new cricket fanatic

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Hi, I'm recently new to Cricket and I try to improve my knowledge of the game, so I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could answer this questions:
1. Why a fantastic spinner like Monty Panesar has not been considered for the ODI side? What's the criteria for being drafted in it and what an effective spinner at Test level does miss not to be called for ODI duties too?
2. What does the number that appears under the team crest on the Test Shirt indicate?
3. Why most openers are left handed? I think of England and Australia mainly... Is there any particuar reason for that choice or is it just a case?
4. I understood most about how the ICC Ranking work, but I haven't understood if Australia will receive a trophy, at some stage, for being in the first position of the table (both the Test and the Odi one). In other words, when is the champion named?
Pls do your best to reply, since I really need these infos to appreciate this fantastic sport even more.
Thanks in advance,
Max.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
cricnewbye said:
Hi, I'm recently new to Cricket and I try to improve my knowledge of the game, so I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could answer this questions:
1. Why a fantastic spinner like Monty Panesar has not been considered for the ODI side? What's the criteria for being drafted in it and what an effective spinner at Test level does miss not to be called for ODI duties too?
2. What does the number that appears under the team crest on the Test Shirt indicate?
3. Why most openers are left handed? I think of England and Australia mainly... Is there any particuar reason for that choice or is it just a case?
4. I understood most about how the ICC Ranking work, but I haven't understood if Australia will receive a trophy, at some stage, for being in the first position of the table (both the Test and the Odi one). In other words, when is the champion named?
Pls do your best to reply, since I really need these infos to appreciate this fantastic sport even more.
Thanks in advance,
Max.
I'll have a stab.

1. Although Panesar has had a lot of sucess in Test matches, he is relatively unproven at one-day level for his county (he has only played nine one-day matches). Some will say that he is quite easy to get at in Tests. There is also the problem that he is not a 'multi-dimensional' cricketer - he is a poor batsmen and abysmal fielder. If he continues to be sucessful in Tests, and Ashley Giles (the previous No1 spinner) does not recover from his long-standing injury, Panesar could probably make his ODI debut after the World Cup.

2. Panesar is number 631 - indicating that he is the 631st player to represent England in Tests. The system also applies to ODI cricket. It was brought in fairly recently though - last three years I think.

3. No real reason - just a natural variation. Some bowlers however struggle bowling to left-handers, and some left-handers use the way the ball from a right-arm bowler slants across them to cut and cpver drive - Brian Lara being a prime example. Sometimes a team will deliberately open with a right-hander and a left-hander, to disrupt the bowlers natural line.

4. As far as I know, you get the trophy (the 'Mace') when you go top of the championships. The table is fairly irrelevant though - most of the teams are so close together in the middle that they are constantly chopping and changing. Most people don't pay it any attention at all. More info here.

open365

cricnewbye said:
Thanks in advance,
Max.
1.Because Duncan Fletcher thinks completely ineffective bowlers such as Yardy and Dalrymple serve a better option as the leading spinner in the side and hence chooses to ignore the best spin bowler in the country.

3.No idea, i think that a lot of the time, but it's not just openers, i'm convinced that there are far more left handed batsman than there statisticaly should be but less left handed quick bowlers.

4.It's named after every 4 years isn't it? Though it's pretty inconsiquential because everyone knows who the best country in the world is.

bagapath

International Captain
i have another point to add to the answer to the first question. panesar gives the impresion of being a classical spinner who will "buy" his wickets. that is, he will flight the ball to induce the batsman to make mistakes and get out. this also means he will concede more runs. in one day cricket, it is more important to contain than in test cricket. so spin bowlers with flatter trajectory, who are a little more difficult to hit but who dont spin the ball too much, get selected for one dayers. now, please dont look at the economy rate (runs conceded/ hundred balls bowled) of panesar and wonder how i came to this conclusion. just sharing a common perspective with you. welcome to the greatest sport in the world :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
bagapath said:
i have another point to add to the answer to the first question. panesar gives the impresion of being a classical spinner who will "buy" his wickets. that is, he will flight the ball to induce the batsman to make mistakes and get out. this also means he will concede more runs. in one day cricket, it is more important to contain than in test cricket. so spin bowlers with flatter trajectory, who are a little more difficult to hit but who dont spin the ball too much, get selected for one dayers. now, please dont look at the economy rate (runs conceded/ hundred balls bowled) of panesar and wonder how i came to this conclusion. just sharing a common perspective with you. welcome to the greatest sport in the world :)

Which is why a spinner like Underwood with a flatter trajectory is always gping to be more sucsessful in List - A games, rather than a pitched up and flighted bowler like Panesar is risks getting smashed by a good left hander.

dinu23

International Debutant
PhoenixFire said:
Which is why a spinner like Underwood with a flatter trajectory is always gping to be more sucsessful in List - A games, rather than a pitched up and flighted bowler like Panesar is risks getting smashed by a good left hander.
i don't know where you got that idea, spinners have more chance of getting wickets if they give more flight and pitch the ball up to the batsmen.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
dinu23 said:
i don't know where you got that idea, spinners have more chance of getting wickets if they give more flight and pitch the ball up to the batsmen.
It's common knowledge that it is much harder to hit out at a bowler with a flat trajectory because you can't really get underneath the ball and get lift on it.

dinu23

International Debutant
yeah, it's a good way to cut out the runs but by bowling like that you're not allowing for the ball to spin and grip the surface. if a spinner wants to consistently take wickets he must flight the ball and let it rip.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
dinu23 said:
yeah, it's a good way to cut out the runs but by bowling like that you're not allowing for the ball to spin and grip the surface. if a spinner wants to consistently take wickets he must flight the ball and let it rip.
Which, again, isn't generally that much use when you're playing the middle-overs-strangulation game.

dinu23

International Debutant
you'll have more chance of geting wickets if you flight the ball and decieve the batman in the air.

dinu23

International Debutant
even in an ODI, wouldn't you go for wickets rather than just be on the defensive. If the spinner is crap then I can understand, but if he has the ability to take wickets then he should go for it, I think.

Jungle Jumbo

dinu23 said:
even in an ODI, wouldn't you go for wickets rather than just be on the defensive. If the spinner is crap then I can understand, but if he has the ability to take wickets then he should go for it, I think.
What would you prefer as a captain in almost any situation: 10-3-20-0 or 10-0-65-3?

dinu23

International Debutant
10-0-65-3
even though he has gone for some runs he may have taken very important wickets, thus eliminating the possbility of them going after other lesser talented bowlers.

bagapath

International Captain
dinu23 said:
10-0-65-3
even though he has gone for some runs he may have taken very important wickets, thus eliminating the possbility of them going after other lesser talented bowlers.
rubbish figures!!!! i would go for none for 20 in ten overs. imagine all five bowlers going for such figures. your opponents would end with 325 for 9 in 50 overs. my opponets would have scored 100 without loss in 50 overs. which one is easier to chase????