• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best #3 between 1986-2006 (Preliminary Vote)

Who is the best #3 between 1986-2006

• David Boon

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Stephen Fleming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Jones

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Dean Jones

• Younis Khan

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • VVS Laxman

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Richie Richardson

• Kumar Sangakkara

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
The 1986-2006 World XI so far:

1. Matthew Hayden (LHB): 84 tests, 7326 runs, 53.08, 26 centuries, 26 fifties
2. Saeed Anwar (LHB): 55 tests, 4052 runs, 45.52, 11 centuries, 25 fifties

Please note that we are changing the voting format for the Middle Order so that we have a 5-day “preliminary” voting round to identify the top 4 players who will then go into a 3-day “selection” vote. The winner will then be added to the team, while the 3 runner-ups will be allowed into the preliminary vote for the next batting position.

Note: If the Selection vote is tied, whoever received the most votes in the preliminary round will go through.

Now for the best # 3 during the period 1986-2006, the following are the nominees:

David Boon (RHB): 95 tests, 6824 runs @ 45.79, 20 centuries, 28 fifties ---- at # 3 [4176 @ 46.40]
Rahul Dravid (RHB): 104 tests, 9048 runs @ 58.75, 23 centuries, 46 fifties ---- [6818 @ 61.42]
Stephen Fleming (LHB): 102 tests, 6545 runs @ 40.15, 9 centuries, 41 fifties ---- [2586 @ 47.01]
Andrew Jones (RHB): 39 tests, 2922 runs @ 44.27, 7 centuries, 11 fifties ---- [2732 @ 43.36]
Dean Jones (RHB): 50 tests, 3566 runs @ 48.18, 11 centuries, 14 fifties ---- [1167 @ 48.62]
Younis Khan (RHB): 47 tests, 3884 runs @ 49.16, 12 centuries, 15 fifties ---- [2825 @ 51.36]
Brian Lara (LHB): 128 tests, 11505 runs @ 52.05, 32 centuries, 47 fifties ---- [3484 @ 59.05]
VVS Laxman (RHB): 77 tests, 4698 runs @ 42.70, 10 centuries, 25 fifties ---- [1253 @ 48.19]
Ricky Ponting (RHB): 105 tests, 8792 runs @ 58.22, 31 centuries, 34 fifties ---- [6294 @ 66.25]
Richie Richardson (RHB): 71 tests, 4982 runs @ 44.08, 12 centuries, 24 fifties ---- [3893 @ 46.34]
Kumar Sangakkara (LHB): 62 tests, 4796 runs @ 48.93, 10 centuries, 22 fifties ---- [4321 @ 52.69]

Note: To be eligible for the Batsmen positions, the following entry criteria has been established:

(1) Players must have played 20 test at > 40.00 average since 1986; and
(2) Players must have batted at least 25 innings in the nominated position since 1986 *

* When a player batted in > 25 innings in more than one position, they were placed in the position where they achieved their highest batting average

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tough call for me, between Dravid, Lara and Ponting. Tempted to vote Fleming but Dravid wins...

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Younis Khan might overtake some of the top dogs a few years from now in this category, but at the moment it has to be between Dravid, Ponting and Lara. Even though Lara is my favorite out of the three, he's not consistent enough. Ponting? Well he never faced the best bowling attack in the world (Australia), so I have to go with Dravid.

bagapath

International Captain
with due respect to all those wonderful players it has to be between lara, ponting and dravid. the others are simply not in their league.

for style, massive scores, poetry and spice it has got to be brian lara.

for aggression, intimidation, and dominance ponting should be the choice.

solidity, technical perfection and consistency are dravid's strengths.

wish i could select all three and be done with it!!!

all three have done well all over the world but lara belongs in most all time XIs. he can pile up big scores (two world record scores in his test career and one in first class cricket). he can make great bowlers look ordinary with his stroke production. he has the best strike rate among the three (60+ runs per 100 balls). and he holds the world record in aggregate and most runs per over. he is easily the most stylish of the three.

ponting has taken australian batsmanship beyond the doggedness of his predeccessors border and waugh and even past the elegance of greg chappell and doug walters. he decimates attack with his all round stroke play, alarming consistency and speed of scoring. he still has something to prove in india. but thats a minor blimp in a phenomenal career.

while lara's achievements have not turned around the fortunes of windies and ponting's heroics have only been a part of the huge aussie success story - along with the contributions of several other champions in his team - dravid's performances look more significant in india's victories. he makes more difference to his team in terms of winning matches than the other two champions.

while lara cant be blamed for his team's failures and ponting's contributions can not be brushed aside simply because there are many other champions in his team, dravid seams to be the only reason for his team's victories since sachin's decline started in mid 2002. the 233 in adelaide, 270 in pakistan, the twin fifties in west indies this year are the kind of efforts that make you believe that his team would not have won without him.

i go for dravid.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Punter for me.

I've always thought of Lara as a number 4 rather than a number 3, and quite like the idea of having a right hander at 3 following 2 lefties.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ponting averages 66.25 at # 3 which I assume would be second only to Bradman.

That's good enough to get my vote.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie tragic said:
Ponting averages 66.25 at # 3 which I assume would be second only to Bradman.

That's good enough to get my vote.
Definitely. The figures pretty much speak for themselves here, IMO.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting and then Lara at #4

having said that i'm tempted to put Dravid at 3 because Ponting would be more flexible and could probably bat as low as number 6.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damn, I'm the only one to vote for Boon, does "cult hero", mean nothing to this board:cool:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Surprising to see Dravid and Ponting so far ahead....
It seems to me like these two have 'cashed in' on poorer bowling and flat pitches, moreso than Lara. Similar to the comparison between Anwar and Sehwag for the openers slot.