• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best #3 between 1986-2006 (Preliminary Vote)

Who is the best #3 between 1986-2006

• David Boon

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Stephen Fleming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Jones

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Dean Jones

• Younis Khan

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • VVS Laxman

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Richie Richardson

• Kumar Sangakkara

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voted Lara and it was between him and Ponting for me.

Lara has done some incredible things like 501* (admittedly not in a test) as well as 375 (in a test).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Matteh said:
Voted Lara and it was between him and Ponting for me.

Lara has done some incredible things like 501* (admittedly not in a test) as well as 375 (in a test).

400* in a test.

Matteh

silentstriker said:
400* in a test.
Was pretty sure he'd hit 400, so i checked the latest Wisden i have (2003) and it said 375 so i put that down.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
lara without a doubt...ponting and dravid come next, the others in this particular list are irrelevant...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lara and its not even close...

Lara would actually make an ideal #5, but the he hasn't played that many innings there in his career, as he was more needed earlier up the order.

But as a player, he is clearly head of Dravid and Ponting, in my opinion. Lara would compete for an all time XI, whereas Ponting and Dravid are not there yet.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
By the way, why are David Boon, Kumar Sangakarra, Younis Khan, VVS Laxman, Andrew Jones, Dean Jones, Richie Richardson, and Stephen Fleming even in this poll? If they have 0% chance of wining, they shouldn't be there.

Matteh

silentstriker said:
By the way, why are David Boon, Kumar Sangakarra, Younis Khan, VVS Laxman, Andrew Jones, Dean Jones, Richie Richardson, and Stephen Fleming even in this poll? If they have 0% chance of wining, they shouldn't be there.
Because they fall into the specified range of 40+ average + more than 20 tests since 1986. Just so happens that Ponting/Dravid/Lara are so much better.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
Shall we just put those three into the team and be done with?

No, because Tendulkar needs to get in with Lara, and so does Sir Viv. Though I don't know if you want to include Sir Viv, since his best years were not after 86.

I would still put him in though, due to the sheer weight of his brilliance.

adharcric

International Coach
Sir Viv Richards had 44 matches at an average of 44 post-1986, so let's reserve Tendulkar and Lara for #4 and #5. Keep it between Dravid and Ponting, folks.

Following my own advice, I go for Dravid but if I was an Aussie, I'd probably go for Ponting. Very, very close.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Sir Viv Richards had 44 matches at an average of 44 post-1986, so let's reserve Tendulkar and Lara for #4 and #5. Keep it between Dravid and Ponting, folks.

Following my own advice, I go for Dravid but if I was an Aussie, I'd probably go for Ponting. Very, very close.

THis isn't where we'd put someone, this is where they were best at. Lara will not even be in the poll for #5, because he did not bat enough there.

By casting him out now, you are bascially saying that he does not belong in this team, as there won't be another time to vote for him. And Lara not making the XI of past twenty years is so absurd that this entire excercise would become quite pointless.

I've argued against Lara many times, especially in that Tendulkar vs. Lara thread...but get a perspective folks. Ponting scores as much as Dravid, but does it faster. Lara scored as much as either of them, have been doing it longer, and he has done it against much better bowlers, and did it on pitches that weren't batting paradises.

This poll isn't 'Pick your best XI', its a poll regarding the 'best player at each position', not best player, but we get to decide his position.

It really isn't all that close.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
and he has done it against much better bowlers, and did it on pitches that weren't batting paradises.
I'm a big big fan of Lara but the quoted bit is worthless bit of fancy generalization unless you have done a detailed schematic analysis of both Lara's and Ponting's careers with a pre-defined criteria of excellence and keeping in mind things like first-chance average, luck, skill involved in playing every single ball etc etc etc.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
THis isn't where we'd put someone, this is where they were best at. Lara will not even be in the poll for #5, because he did not bat enough there.

By casting him out now, you are bascially saying that he does not belong in this team, as there won't be another time to vote for him.
If you read the first post, you'll see that the 3 runner ups automatically go into the next batting position Poll, so I'm sure Lara will be in the # 4 Poll and even the # 5 Poll if he misses out on # 4 against Sachin.

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
Ponting for me. It is close between Lara and Ponting as they are both very good but I have preffered watching Ponting.

andyc

silentstriker said:

By casting him out now, you are bascially saying that he does not belong in this team, as there won't be another time to vote for him. And Lara not making the XI of past twenty years is so absurd that this entire excercise would become quite pointless.

I've argued against Lara many times, especially in that Tendulkar vs. Lara thread...but get a perspective folks. Ponting scores as much as Dravid, but does it faster. Lara scored as much as either of them, have been doing it longer, and he has done it against much better bowlers, and did it on pitches that weren't batting paradises.

This poll isn't 'Pick your best XI', its a poll regarding the 'best player at each position', not best player, but we get to decide his position.

Mate, just because you think someone has to be in it, doesn't make it law. That's why it's a vote, everyone has a chance to vote on it, so it represents the opinions of the CW community as a whole.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:

Uhh, actually Lara will be in the list for the #5 spot. Read the format before you comment about what this poll does and doesn't represent. If it's strictly the best #3 batsman and the best #4 and so on ... that's a different story but the way things are going, it seems like people here are a little confused about what this poll really represents. Is it strictly position-related, or are middle-order batsmen adjustable?