• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SL Without Murali

Laurrz

International Debutant
ok i know its a pretty boring topic..but i was talking to some lankans and they were saying that if Murali was an English or an Aussie he wouldn't be criticised...

and i said if Murali was Aussie SL would be..sh.it...

and they got rather offended lol... so i wonder... is what i said fair? i mean ... i thought logically... if u think logically surely you would think the same....

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think so. They have some really good batsmen (Jayawardene, Sangakkara, etc) and Chaminda Vaas is hardly useless. They might perhaps struggle to bowl top batting lineups out twice regularly in tests but I still think they'd be just as good as they are with Murali in ODIs.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
_Ed_ said:
I don't think so. They have some really good batsmen (Jayawardene, Sangakkara, etc) and Chaminda Vaas is hardly useless. They might perhaps struggle to bowl top batting lineups out twice regularly in tests but I still think they'd be just as good as they are with Murali in ODIs.
They wouldnt get anywhere close to bowling teams out twice in tests outside of their home conditions without Murli.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Laurrz said:
ok i know its a pretty boring topic..but i was talking to some lankans and they were saying that if Murali was an English or an Aussie he wouldn't be criticised...

and i said if Murali was Aussie SL would be..sh.it...

and they got rather offended lol... so i wonder... is what i said fair? i mean ... i thought logically... if u think logically surely you would think the same....
I disagree. SL proved that they can win without murali by defeating englan 5-0 in the recent odis. They have a number of good bowlers such as vaas, lasith, and bandara and I think they will still be a force to reckon with after murali retires. Sri Lanka continues to be underestimated by the rest of the world thats all.

dinu23

International Debutant
SL will find it difficult to win tests without murali but I don't think it effects ODIs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
The australian bowling attack is pretty sh.it without warne and McGrath.
Based on the back-up they have had for McGrath & Warne over the last 11 years, with the likes of Gillespie, Lee, Kasper, Reifell, Fleming, Bichel, Clark, MacGill & Miller that doesn't look like sh.t to me.

Even currently an attack without McGrath/Warne would be possibly Lee/Clark/Gillespie/MacGill, no superb but not sh.t.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
aussie said:
Based on the back-up they have had for McGrath & Warne over the last 11 years, with the likes of Gillespie, Lee, Kasper, Reifell, Fleming, Bichel, Clark, MacGill & Miller that doesn't look like sh.t to me.

Even currently an attack without McGrath/Warne would be possibly Lee/Clark/Gillespie/MacGill, no superb but not sh.t.
Can you not read, or are you just blindingly stupid?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He had asked people to stop circumventing the content filter with the "s" word, and you carried on doing it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali is Sri Lanka's Maradona !!:)

But that does not nean SL cannot win without him.

In my opinion SL would continue to win in ODIs at the same (or slightly less) percentage as they are currently .

In Tests SL may not win as much initially, but once Murali is away from the Team for good, I have no doubt someone else will take over in due course as SL's main wicket taking spinner Such as Bandara or Lokuaaratchchi .... it will be a matter of time and more experience. Just as the Argentinians who did win without Maradona with others working together as a Team.