• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Googly/Doosra question...

cricketboy29

International Regular
I was just wondering something...if your an off-spinner how exactly would you be able to get the ball to move the other way from your stock delievery? I mean unless you twist your entire forearm and release the ball by spinning it out with your thumb thus reducing speed, it seems quite impossible.

cricketboy29

International Regular
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
You can only perform it if you throw it which murali "doesnt" do obviously. Has it been banned yet?
Usually when I ask a question, I expect an answer. Not a meaningless diatribe about a man who has been villifed too many times already, and still come out smiling...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
cricketboy29 said:
Usually when I ask a question, I expect an answer. Not a meaningless diatribe about a man who has been villifed too many times already, and still come out smiling...
TBF, and this isn't anti-Murali, the mechanics of the delivery are such that it's more-or-less impossible to bowl it at any kind of pace at all without "chucking" it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
You can only perform it if you throw it which murali "doesnt" do obviously. Has it been banned yet?
Murali is allowed an amount of leeway, though.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think he uses his fingers to spin the ball in the opposite direction of his wrist movements. Does that make sense? Sort of like releasing the ball out of the top of his hand instead of spinning it with is wrist.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Doosra

The textbook googly is bowled by the palm of the hand at the point of release, facing upwards, and the ball being flicked out the 2nd and 3rd fingers.

I'm not too sure about the Doosra however this is what Wikipedia says about it.

[ORIGINATOR=Wikipedia]The bowler bowls the ball with the same finger action as a normal off break, but holds the wrist turned so the back of the hand faces towards the batsman. This gives the ball spin in the opposite direction to an off break, causing it to spin from the leg side to the off side to a right-handed batsman.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whats interesting is that Murali is not the first bowler to bowl this delivery. I think that Saqlain Mushataq could bowl this as well.

open365

International Vice-Captain
StumpMic said:
I think he uses his fingers to spin the ball in the opposite direction of his wrist movements. Does that make sense? Sort of like releasing the ball out of the top of his hand instead of spinning it with is wrist.
That's one way to bowl it, that's how Alex Loudon does it but it's an uncommon method.

I don't see what's hard to get about bowling a doosra.

It's like an off-spinner(orthodox) bowling a top spinner but just having his wrist pointing slightly more towards 1st slip.

I don't see you have to chuck it to bowl it, i've tried it in the nets a few times and it didn't turn much but my arm wasn't lose to the 15 degrees

Barney Rubble

International Coach
You can bowl it if you have very long fingers, a supple wrist and use your middle finger to spin the ball with your palm inverted. I've got tiny fingers, and I can bowl it very slowly with almost no spin, so logic suggests it is possible - just very, very difficult.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
yeah its just the wrist that has to work more and the back of the hand facing the batsman, just thry throw it and you will see it helps a lot...

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
StumpMic said:
Whats interesting is that Murali is not the first bowler to bowl this delivery. I think that Saqlain Mushataq could bowl this as well.
Actually, Saqlain claims to have invented it.