Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75

Thread: Chris Read - I'm Not Convinced

  1. #1
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    218

    Chris Read - I'm Not Convinced

    Read replaced Jones on the fact that he was in better form with the bat. But you go the feeling that people were getting on Jones' back because he kept dropping chances. But Read won't dive across. The ones that Jones is dropping Read isn't even going for.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    I agree totally. Was going to post something along the lines of this when I could be arsed myself. Can't drop it if you don't go for it, eh Chris?

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber
    Read replaced Jones on the fact that he was in better form with the bat. But you go the feeling that people were getting on Jones' back because he kept dropping chances. But Read won't dive across. The ones that Jones is dropping Read isn't even going for.
    Give him a bit of time........plus he wasnt that bad with the bat in the test series.

  4. #4
    International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Worcestershire, UK
    Posts
    2,082
    People moaned when Jones would dive across the first slip, now they moan when Read wont dive across first slip!

    Dont you just love this game!


  5. #5
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    TBH, I'm less convinced about Read's batting. No genuine movement of the feet and never really looked certain at the crease. That said, he looked better than Geraint Jones has for about a year now.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  6. #6
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    85
    For me Read had a poor game in the first ODI, and hasn't looked settled since he got back in the team. He seems to be scared of going for things in case he drops them, the Sky commentators picked this out well during the game. And as for those byes he let go in the first over, Jones would have got slaughtered for that.

    I reckon he'll get the first couple of tests against Australia, then the selectors will be looking for any reason to get Jones back. You could see Tresco wasn't happy with the situation tonight.
    Cricket Coach 2009 - Now only 14.99!
    Download the FREE trial now!
    www.cricketcoachgame.com

    The most accurate and detailed cricket game ever created. Includes Tests/ODIs/World Cup/Intercontinental Cup/World Cricket League. Plus domestic competitions from around the world and IPL!

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
    People moaned when Jones would dive across the first slip, now they moan when Read wont dive across first slip!

    Dont you just love this game!
    This has happened three times in three matches now, and they've all been to Trescothick's left, meaning Read wouldn't be diving across slip if he went for them, just towards him. Although today was closer to Trescothick than the other two.

  8. #8
    U19 Debutant Alysum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    348
    Jones sucks at batting AND keeping. Read is a good choice, should have done this move before the Ashes where Jones dropped soo many

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain pinchy81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    4,899
    they both suck IMO Prior for England keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Pinchy81- McPinch iz a gun4lyf.
    "Straight-Edge means I'm better than you!"

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber
    Read replaced Jones on the fact that he was in better form with the bat. But you go the feeling that people were getting on Jones' back because he kept dropping chances. But Read won't dive across. The ones that Jones is dropping Read isn't even going for.
    I disagree, those catches that people & the commentators are suggesting that Read could have dived across for is being a bit unfare. I would say they were more down to positioning problems between him & Trescothick. But it doesn't hide the fact that Read still looks more safer behind the stumps than Jones & his batting has improved since 2004.

    But he has just come back lets wait until the end of the ashes before we can make a good hard judgement on his overall game.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    I disagree, those catches that people & the commentators are suggesting that Read could have dived across for is being a bit unfare. I would say they were more down to positioning problems between him & Trescothick.
    No it isn't unfair. All the chances Have been to Trescothick's left. If you're suggesting Trescothick is standing too wide, that should mean the keeper should take more responsibility for those catches and be sensible enough to go for them because he should know where his first slip is.
    We've seen Jones take ones infront of Trescothick. If Read's such a better keeper, why does he seem to be scared of showing he can take catches to Trescothick's left?

    But it doesn't hide the fact that Read still looks more safer behind the stumps than Jones & his batting has improved since 2004.
    Whe'n he going to show it, then?

    But he has just come back lets wait until the end of the ashes before we can make a good hard judgement on his overall game.
    You were quick to pounce of every single one of Geraint's mistakes this summer, though, despite his excellent keeping in the subcontinent. Leeway for one and none for the other? I hope if Read has a good Ashes tour, yet drops one or two next summer, you'll give him the same treatment. Can't be a hypocrite now, can we?
    Last edited by steds; 31-08-2006 at 04:36 AM.

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchy81
    they both suck IMO Prior for England keeper
    Prior's just a poorer version of Jones.

  13. #13
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Not diving across first slip is a good thing, imo, but I agree Read has so far been too conservative with his right-hand diving. May have something to do with Jones' excessive diving, who knows.

    Still I think it's been an improvement having Read in the side, he kept very well in the Tests.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baconator
    Prior's just a poorer version of Jones.
    Better batsman IMO. Not in terms of talent, but in terms of production. And yes, that does paint a very bleak picture of Geraint Jones.

    Regarding the Prior > Jones + Read comment, get off it pinchy. It'sa makin' yuh crazeee.

  15. #15
    U19 Debutant _TiGeR-ToWn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pub
    Posts
    393
    Never really rated either of them since the retirement of Stewart, he was a quality player. They are just filling the roles until a young gun emerges and then England will have a good keeper/batsman again.
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." MJ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What is the Best Cricket Book you've Ever Read?
    By jf2001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 26-03-2006, 11:05 PM
  2. Worst books you have ever read?
    By Piper in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 03:16 AM
  3. Chris Read another chance?
    By sledger in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 25-07-2005, 05:46 AM
  4. **Official** England in The West Indies
    By Jamee999 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2271
    Last Post: 31-01-2005, 03:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •