• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Read - I'm Not Convinced

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Read replaced Jones on the fact that he was in better form with the bat. But you go the feeling that people were getting on Jones' back because he kept dropping chances. But Read won't dive across. The ones that Jones is dropping Read isn't even going for.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I agree totally. Was going to post something along the lines of this when I could be arsed myself. Can't drop it if you don't go for it, eh Chris?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Bob Bamber said:
Read replaced Jones on the fact that he was in better form with the bat. But you go the feeling that people were getting on Jones' back because he kept dropping chances. But Read won't dive across. The ones that Jones is dropping Read isn't even going for.
Give him a bit of time........plus he wasnt that bad with the bat in the test series.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
People moaned when Jones would dive across the first slip, now they moan when Read wont dive across first slip!

Dont you just love this game! :laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH, I'm less convinced about Read's batting. No genuine movement of the feet and never really looked certain at the crease. That said, he looked better than Geraint Jones has for about a year now.

Oli Norwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For me Read had a poor game in the first ODI, and hasn't looked settled since he got back in the team. He seems to be scared of going for things in case he drops them, the Sky commentators picked this out well during the game. And as for those byes he let go in the first over, Jones would have got slaughtered for that.

I reckon he'll get the first couple of tests against Australia, then the selectors will be looking for any reason to get Jones back. You could see Tresco wasn't happy with the situation tonight.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
People moaned when Jones would dive across the first slip, now they moan when Read wont dive across first slip!

Dont you just love this game! :laugh:
This has happened three times in three matches now, and they've all been to Trescothick's left, meaning Read wouldn't be diving across slip if he went for them, just towards him. Although today was closer to Trescothick than the other two.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Jones sucks at batting AND keeping. Read is a good choice, should have done this move before the Ashes where Jones dropped soo many :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bob Bamber said:
I disagree, those catches that people & the commentators are suggesting that Read could have dived across for is being a bit unfare. I would say they were more down to positioning problems between him & Trescothick. But it doesn't hide the fact that Read still looks more safer behind the stumps than Jones & his batting has improved since 2004.

But he has just come back lets wait until the end of the ashes before we can make a good hard judgement on his overall game.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
I disagree, those catches that people & the commentators are suggesting that Read could have dived across for is being a bit unfare. I would say they were more down to positioning problems between him & Trescothick.
No it isn't unfair. All the chances Have been to Trescothick's left. If you're suggesting Trescothick is standing too wide, that should mean the keeper should take more responsibility for those catches and be sensible enough to go for them because he should know where his first slip is.
We've seen Jones take ones infront of Trescothick. If Read's such a better keeper, why does he seem to be scared of showing he can take catches to Trescothick's left?

But it doesn't hide the fact that Read still looks more safer behind the stumps than Jones & his batting has improved since 2004.
Whe'n he going to show it, then?

But he has just come back lets wait until the end of the ashes before we can make a good hard judgement on his overall game.
You were quick to pounce of every single one of Geraint's mistakes this summer, though, despite his excellent keeping in the subcontinent. Leeway for one and none for the other? I hope if Read has a good Ashes tour, yet drops one or two next summer, you'll give him the same treatment. Can't be a hypocrite now, can we?

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Not diving across first slip is a good thing, imo, but I agree Read has so far been too conservative with his right-hand diving. May have something to do with Jones' excessive diving, who knows.

Still I think it's been an improvement having Read in the side, he kept very well in the Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Baconator said:
Prior's just a poorer version of Jones.
Better batsman IMO. Not in terms of talent, but in terms of production. And yes, that does paint a very bleak picture of Geraint Jones.

Regarding the Prior > Jones + Read comment, get off it pinchy. It'sa makin' yuh crazeee.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Never really rated either of them since the retirement of Stewart, he was a quality player. They are just filling the roles until a young gun emerges and then England will have a good keeper/batsman again.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I think Read deserves a fair chance (although I personally don't like him much - spat with Mushy). His place was taken from Jones when he was just settling into the team in 2004. Jones was given an extended run even after continuing failures with the bat - the reason he was picked. Read has only just got back in the team and he did play quite well with the bat in the tests and his keeping is better than Jones who isn't a natural. Read should be given the Champions Trophy at least to prove his worth.
Then in the Ashes tour, England should pick both keepers and try both out equally before choosing a keeper for the World Cup.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Bob Bamber said:
If the Keeper - 1st Slip partnership isn't working then something has to change....
But do you think we have seen enough of Read to discard him again? It will take at least one whole series for a relationship to develop don't you think? He has come into the team as a suprise change and probably wasn't expecting to be playing ODIs against Pakistan at the start of the season. All I m saying is give him one whole tour and the Champions Trophy in addition to the remainder of the current tour should be enough to make a decision. If not take two keepers to Australia.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
pinchy81 said:
they both suck IMO Prior for England keeper
Agreed. Though I haven't seen much of his keeping.

Kamran Akmal, the Pakistan keeper, is also performing miserably. Maybe something in the English air is making wicketkeeping difficult.