• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Read - I'm Not Convinced

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
I wouldn't be suprised if he weren't even in the squad. I think he may be one of the reserves playing in Perth, but squad size permitting it wouldn't shock me to see him not in.
I don't think it'll be a huge issue, most of the team chooses itself nowadays. I reckon we'll go with the 11 who started the fourth test plus Fred, Plunkers, Broad, Giles (if fit) & GoJo. Doubt we'll take more than 16.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I don't think it'll be a huge issue, most of the team chooses itself nowadays. I reckon we'll go with the 11 who started the fourth test plus Fred, Plunkers, Broad, Giles (if fit) & GoJo. Doubt we'll take more than 16.

I think Anderson has a chance given he's planning on playing some cricket(well he's been playing for Burnley already) before the end of the season. I'd certainly rather him that Plunket (or Mahmood for that matter).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
I think Anderson has a chance given he's planning on playing some cricket(well he's been playing for Burnley already) before the end of the season. I'd certainly rather him that Plunket (or Mahmood for that matter).
Yeah, fair call. I could lie & say I was working on the assumption he was injured, but I'd totally forgotten about him. 8-) :p

Sad indictment of my short-term memory as I saw highlights of him bowling v Pakistan in the 2003 WC during the rain delay on Weds & thought how good the lad looked before Cooley arsed up his action.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
For such a long tour though, you'd assume a backup keeper would be in the squad. Read could break down, and you'd also probably like to give him a rest in a few of the tour matches due to the heavy strain of wicket keeping.
There's only 2 3 day games, a 2 day and the traditional fun 1 day opener outside of the Tests - International tours are not that long nowadays.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
No spare batsmen?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
That's a big assumption about Freddie's fitness.

Mind you, the reserves will be out there, too.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
it was a question, you said the reserves would be out there, but i've not heard anything to say where the A team was touring this year.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Is he bowling for them now? I heard he was just playing as a batsman.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
he was here in 97 but i dont remember seeing him, but yes it was my mistake.
Infact i think i remmeber seeing Gilchrist amoungst others playing for an Australian youth tream against Hampshire back in 94 or 95, its the first cricket match i remeber going to