• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Read - I'm Not Convinced

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
What ever happened to that Foster fella? I thought he was fairly decent.
He makes lots of runs for Essex. General consensus is that his keeping has improved since 2001/02, when he made Jones look like Bob Taylor.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Well I must confess I had a coaching session with James Foster a couple of years ago and he didn't drop one ball for all of 3 hours. Also, he has been keeping exceptionally for Essex.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Armadillo said:
Well I must confess I had a coaching session with James Foster a couple of years ago and he didn't drop one ball for all of 3 hours. Also, he has been keeping exceptionally for Essex.
Is also a more than capable one-day batsman, especially in the latter overs. We could do a lot worse than welcome him back into the reckoning.

Glenn Stiemens

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd put my money on Geraint Jones being back in the Test team before the end of the Ashes. Personally though I'd like to see James Foster being brought back into the reckoning - Chris Read hasn't been the wonder keeper people hyped him up to be, his complete lack of confidence in diving is proving just as costly as Jones' over enthuiastic use of diving.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
No it isn't unfair. All the chances Have been to Trescothick's left. If you're suggesting Trescothick is standing too wide, that should mean the keeper should take more responsibility for those catches and be sensible enough to go for them because he should know where his first slip is.
We've seen Jones take ones infront of Trescothick. If Read's such a better keeper, why does he seem to be scared of showing he can take catches to Trescothick's left?
Maybe, but its too early to say IMO if its a big problem, but for now i would leave it down to positioning because its been a while since Read would have had Trescothick standing at first slip to him, because before Read didn't have that problem. I remember him taking one in front of 1st slip one-handed in the 2004 Bridgetown test of Harmison. But if it continues in the future they will have to look into it.

steds said:
Whe'n he going to show it, then?
Where you on vacation when he was batting in the test series?

steds said:
You were quick to pounce of every single one of Geraint's mistakes this summer, though, despite his excellent keeping in the subcontinent. Leeway for one and none for the other?
Excellent keeping in the sub-continent?, no no he was by no means excellent, at the beginning on those flat pitches in Pakistan he was good. But in India he struggled in the test series up until the Mumbai test where he was very good. In the ODI series his keeping was also up & down.

And yes i was quick to pounce on his mistakes at home this summer because you can't have a keeper making mistakes if he isn't making runs, but his keeping did look a fairly tidy for the 1st time in a while, but since his form with the bat was gradually decreasing since the India tour he had to go.

steds said:
I hope if Read has a good Ashes tour, yet drops one or two next summer, you'll give him the same treatment. Can't be a hypocrite now, can we?
WTF, you like start up problems nah, hyprocrite in what eh?, If read has a good ashes tour & drops or two next summer i would be critical, but not as much as i've been on Jones obviously (presuming he keeps up his good glovework in Australia), since his glovework has always been tidy unlike Jones who is the opposite. But if he drops & doesn't score runs then he'll get the same treatment. Is that hypocritical enough for ya?

If the latter occurs then possibly England will want to recall Jones based on performance with the bat & improvements behind the stumps or maybe call up young Steve Davies if they think he is ready for international cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
They are just filling the roles until a young gun emerges and then England will have a good keeper/batsman again.
ha, well i hope Read can contribute consistently in both area's but probably there is a young gun in Steve Davies emerging, if Read is dropped again we may well & see him in the side before the end of 2007.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
No one ever has a good first tour of England with the gloves. The ball swings late and after the bat and it's very tricky.
Gilchrist was fairly good in the 99 WC if my memory serves me right.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another century for Pothas this week. 740 runs @ 56.92 this year in FC cricket with 3 tons.

Think he qualifies this year too. Could be a dark horse for England yet... If he were 6 years younger he'd be very much a live prospect IMHO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He is an option, i wont rule him out at all, its shocking how South Africa let such a good back-up keeper get away. But lets say Read doesn't do so well (i hope not) he has a chance along with Davies if England are looking for someone totally new.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Once again the key word here is "first". If I'd meant "fourth", I'd have said "fourth".
oh, my mistake i thought the 99 world cup was Gilly's first ever tour to England as a player, i forgot about the previous youth tours during the 90s.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Where you on vacation when he was batting in the test series?
No. Were you? Score runs he did. Look particularly impressive, he did not.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
He is an option, i wont rule him out at all, its shocking how South Africa let such a good back-up keeper get away. But lets say Read doesn't do so well (i hope not) he has a chance along with Davies if England are looking for someone totally new.
Really not too hot at keeping hold of players, are they? :laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
No. Were you? Score runs he did. Look particularly impressive, he did not.
Now he didn't look impressive, i thought you were debating that he hasn't improved in his batting since he lasted played international cricket.

He has i won't disagree that they are some area's in his batting that he can improve in still but he definately looks better than 2004.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
oh, my mistake i thought the 99 world cup was Gilly's first ever tour to England as a player, i forgot about the previous youth tours during the 90s.
yup that famous youth tour 'Australia in England 1997'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Glenn Stiemens said:
I'd put my money on Geraint Jones being back in the Test team before the end of the Ashes.
I wouldn't be suprised if he weren't even in the squad. I think he may be one of the reserves playing in Perth, but squad size permitting it wouldn't shock me to see him not in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I wouldn't be suprised if he weren't even in the squad. I think he may be one of the reserves playing in Perth, but squad size permitting it wouldn't shock me to see him not in.
For such a long tour though, you'd assume a backup keeper would be in the squad. Read could break down, and you'd also probably like to give him a rest in a few of the tour matches due to the heavy strain of wicket keeping.

I'd be very very shocked if a non-Jones backup wicket keeper was taken.