• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Re-Vote for # 2 Opener 1986-2006 (Previous Poll Tied)

Vote Off for the # 2 Opener between 1986-2006

• Anwar

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Sehwag

Votes: 30 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well, in the selection for the Best World XI between 1986-2006, the Poll for the # 2 Opener to partner Matthew Hayden (LHB) resulted in an equal number of votes between Anwar and Sehwag.

Accordingly, this Poll will run for 72-hours to hopefully select the winner.

Openers figures between 1986-2006

Anwar (LHB): 55 tests, 4052 runs, 45.52, 11 centuries, 25 fifties - - - as opener [3957 @ 47.10]

Sehwag (RHB): 49 tests, 4066 runs, 52.12, 12 centuries, 12 fifties - - - as opener [3727 @ 54.01]

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Some breakdown:

IN FAVOR OF SEHWAG:

Sehwag Away: 52.07, 6 centuries, with HS of 309
Anwar Away: 45.42, 7 centuries, with HS of 188*

Sehwag played in basically half in many games but has the almost the same amount of centuries, as well as a triple century abroad.

IN FAVOR OF ANWAR:

Anwar averaged 67 @ Australia, whereas Sehwag averages 45. Anwar also played against better attacks than Sehwag.

JBH001

International Regular
I would have preferred to vote for Gooch - but that's not an option, and anyway I suppose I don't have any credibility left after having originally voted for Vaughan, anyway! :p

So looking at the two, Sehwag and Anwar, I will go for Anwar.
Why?

I believe his style will complement Hayden, and besides he is a more aesthetically pleasing batsman than Sehwag besides being tighter technically (though not much in it).
Hayden and Sehwag both bludgeoners of the ball have too much sameness in style to be batting together. Anwar would even it out nicely.

Also, Sehwag has not done enough in his short career to really imo be worthy of inclusion and also, dare I say it, many of his runs are the product of mediocre bowling attacks and flat pitches. I do not think his techinique is good enough against quality bowling on poor tracks. *ducks for cover*

PS. Besides he is a muslim, and moreover has a great beard! ;)

Fusion

Global Moderator
JBH001 said:
Hayden and Sehwag both bludgeoners of the ball have too much sameness in style to be batting together. Anwar would even it out nicely.
That's my reason for voting for Anwar. The same reason Anwar and Sohail were so successful for Pakistan back in the day.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure you need to use players gelling together as a criteria to select a best side over 2 decades. It isn't like these guys will actually be padding up and batting with each other. I think we need to assess who is the better batsman/player of the bunch, and use stats/performance/ability as criteria, and not whether a player would fit into the side well. After all, this isn't the best XI that would play together from the last 2 decades.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mister Wright said:
I'm not sure you need to use players gelling together as a criteria to select a best side over 2 decades. It isn't like these guys will actually be padding up and batting with each other. I think we need to assess who is the better batsman/player of the bunch, and use stats/performance/ability as criteria, and not whether a player would fit into the side well. After all, this isn't the best XI that would play together from the last 2 decades.
Definitely. Sums up exactly what we're trying to achieve, IMO.

archie mac

International Coach
I voted for the little Indian, imagine a flat track and those two in form, the bowlers and all of the fieldsman may have to wear helmets:-O

bagapath

International Captain
have to go for sehwag. i would like to have a left - right combination. he can decimate any attack along with hayden. otherwise not much between anwar and sehwag. though anwar not scoring a double is, according to me, a glitch in his resume.

luffy

International Captain
Dosnt look like this one wont be any different. 14 votes all....

I voted for Sehwag

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mister Wright said:

Exactly. That's why I voted for Sehwag.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
JBH001 said:
Totally agree. Sehwag and Hayden would try and outhit eachother.

Anwar for me.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
GO sehwag!!

Hayden wud haf side screen problems with Anwar's beard. (actually he wud haf side screen problems wid the shien of sehwags bald head but atleast it will be covered due to the helmet)

JBH001

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
I am well aware of that - but I don't know if I necessarily agree with that.
When I pick teams of this sort I like to imagine the members playing together and out in the middle, it is part of the fun of it, and complementing players is part of good team selection. Also, reducing the choices to statistics and averages would not only make team selection relatively easier and non-controversial, it would also make it boring.
(why have that long list in the first place then?)

Besides I have based my vote for Anwar on two platforms, one is that I do not think Sehwag has done enough yet, especially considering recent attacks and pitches, to be seriously considered. Second, that Anwar and Hayden would be better to watch and complement each other better than Sehwag and Hayden.

Perry Mason

Cricket Spectator
JBH001 said:
Besides I have based my vote for Anwar on two platforms, one is that I do not think Sehwag has done enough yet, especially considering recent attacks and pitches, to be seriously considered.
Considering that Anwar played just 6 tests more than Sehwag already has, could you outline exactly what he has achieved that Sehwag has yet to ?