Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Stereotypes!!!

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

National Stereotypes!!!

I got this idea from another cricket forum and felt it would be best to share it along with a few of my views.

India: great spinners, bad fast bowlers, great batting, tendency to commit stupid run-outs, hard to beat at home, ordinary away from home, inconsistent, flat pitches that offer turn but are batters' paradises, extremely rich and pampered, highest paid sports team in the world

Sri Lanka: great spinners, good batting, the "inventors" of pinch-hitting, slow pitches where the ball turns and keeps low, great team at home, terrible away from home, recently on a good run

England: tendency to produce decent fast bowlers who can swing, fast bowlers' pitches, overcast conditions, tendency to collapse under pressure, horrible one-day team, young talent, bad chasers, good at making excuses

West Indies: great fast bowlers, bad spinners, slow pitches that are great for batting, half-decent at home, lousy away from home, incompetent and cash-starved board, crazy internal politics

South Africa: great batting and fielding, boring team that bats out a lot of draws, pitches that assist fast bowlers, lack of quality spinners

Australia: ridiculously good at everything (especially spin bowling, fast bowling, and batting), the best and most annoying team in the world, great wickets that offer variety and a little something for everybody

Pakistan: great fast bowlers, reverse-swing, pitches that are fast bowlers' graveyards, good batting, horrible fielding, crazy internal politics

Bangaladesh: Perennial strugglers who everyone love to play if out of form to win, surprising upsets occasionally, good talented youngsters coming in

Zimbabwe: A rabble, political debacles ruining the team, players leaving because of the struggles, white racial discrimination.

anyone got anything for newzealand?

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    anyone got anything for newzealand?
    Sheep shaggers

inept

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Actually a pretty good thread idea IMO. Hopefully it doesn't deteriorate into more of the crap that's been plaguing CC lately.

I'd add strong ODI team for South Africa, since you included poor ODI team for England. South Africa are pretty much always dangerous in the shorter form, and they've spent time in the last decade as pretty much the best team in the world in that form, give or take Australia.

I think Sri Lanka have a bit of a reputation for being attacking with the bat, moreso than other countries, and often to their detriment playing away from home. Probably the most often associated with the "flat track bully" idea (rightly or wrongly).

I'd also say that these days the West Indies have a reputation for being a one man team, more than any other. Similar to India and Tendulkar in the 90s perhaps.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    inept

That's a bit harsh. Considering their resources, they do quite well. A whole bunch of Indian flat-track bullies get their butts handed back to them in NZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Actually, Englands pitches have been pretty good for batting the last four five years, with a few exceptions. Thats just what I gather from following some tests, but maybe someone from England can correct me on that?

I got this idea from another cricket forum and felt it would be best to share it along with a few of my views.

India: great spinners, bad fast bowlers, great batting, tendency to commit stupid run-outs, hard to beat at home, ordinary away from home, inconsistent, flat pitches that offer turn but are batters' paradises, extremely rich and pampered, highest paid sports team in the world
    You forgot 'Flat Track Bullies'. And crazy, "would have shanked Darrel Hair in the kidney and burned the stadium down", fans.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Actually, Englands pitches have been pretty good for batting the last four five years, with a few exceptions. Thats just what I gather from following some tests, but maybe someone from England can correct me on that?
    Yeah, they've been generally good 2001 and beyond, after the exceptionally bowler-friendly 2000.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    England's pitches have been good for batting and even for spinners, but we're talking stereotypes here, not facts. I think a lot of people think of England as having good conditions for swing and seam, and the overcast day at Headingley or Lords where 19 wickets fall is sort of a staple of English cricket.

International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    You forgot 'Flat Track Bullies'. And crazy, "would have shanked Darrel Hair in the kidney and burned the stadium down", fans.

We probably would'nt have shanked him, and I think even we've moved on from that. Probably would have just started throwing things at Hair..
    Member of CW RED

Queensland-Season 7 OD Champions

Currently Managing: NSW

Rahul Dravid: A Real Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    damn mods are more agressive then the teacher's in school that i have'
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    *Sigh* what's the dev league got itself into.

Pakistan: great fast bowlers, reverse-swing, pitches that are fast bowlers' graveyards, good batting, horrible fielding, crazy internal politics.[/B]

But they have Inzamam. He complained about leaving the ball and being called out, and hitting the ball and being called out. That man is classic.

I feel we will be calling bizzarre cricketing events 'Inzy-moments' twenty years into the future.

International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    But they have Inzamam. He complained about leaving the ball and being called out, and hitting the ball and being called out. That man is classic.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketboy29
    Probably would have just started throwing things at Hair..

Yea, like a live grenade.

This is a good thread. Dissipates some of the tension thats built up in the past week.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    This is a good thread. Dissipates some of the tension thats built up in the past week.
    thx...........actually i am new to CW and finally after two 3 flop threads i get a good response.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information