• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Stereotypes!!!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I got this idea from another cricket forum and felt it would be best to share it along with a few of my views.

India: great spinners, bad fast bowlers, great batting, tendency to commit stupid run-outs, hard to beat at home, ordinary away from home, inconsistent, flat pitches that offer turn but are batters' paradises, extremely rich and pampered, highest paid sports team in the world

Sri Lanka: great spinners, good batting, the "inventors" of pinch-hitting, slow pitches where the ball turns and keeps low, great team at home, terrible away from home, recently on a good run

England: tendency to produce decent fast bowlers who can swing, fast bowlers' pitches, overcast conditions, tendency to collapse under pressure, horrible one-day team, young talent, bad chasers, good at making excuses

West Indies: great fast bowlers, bad spinners, slow pitches that are great for batting, half-decent at home, lousy away from home, incompetent and cash-starved board, crazy internal politics

South Africa: great batting and fielding, boring team that bats out a lot of draws, pitches that assist fast bowlers, lack of quality spinners

Australia: ridiculously good at everything (especially spin bowling, fast bowling, and batting), the best and most annoying team in the world, great wickets that offer variety and a little something for everybody

Pakistan: great fast bowlers, reverse-swing, pitches that are fast bowlers' graveyards, good batting, horrible fielding, crazy internal politics

Bangaladesh: Perennial strugglers who everyone love to play if out of form to win, surprising upsets occasionally, good talented youngsters coming in

Zimbabwe: A rabble, political debacles ruining the team, players leaving because of the struggles, white racial discrimination.

anyone got anything for newzealand?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Actually a pretty good thread idea IMO. Hopefully it doesn't deteriorate into more of the crap that's been plaguing CC lately.

I'd add strong ODI team for South Africa, since you included poor ODI team for England. South Africa are pretty much always dangerous in the shorter form, and they've spent time in the last decade as pretty much the best team in the world in that form, give or take Australia.

I think Sri Lanka have a bit of a reputation for being attacking with the bat, moreso than other countries, and often to their detriment playing away from home. Probably the most often associated with the "flat track bully" idea (rightly or wrongly).

I'd also say that these days the West Indies have a reputation for being a one man team, more than any other. Similar to India and Tendulkar in the 90s perhaps.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually, Englands pitches have been pretty good for batting the last four five years, with a few exceptions. Thats just what I gather from following some tests, but maybe someone from England can correct me on that?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
I got this idea from another cricket forum and felt it would be best to share it along with a few of my views.

India: great spinners, bad fast bowlers, great batting, tendency to commit stupid run-outs, hard to beat at home, ordinary away from home, inconsistent, flat pitches that offer turn but are batters' paradises, extremely rich and pampered, highest paid sports team in the world
You forgot 'Flat Track Bullies'. And crazy, "would have shanked Darrel Hair in the kidney and burned the stadium down", fans.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Actually, Englands pitches have been pretty good for batting the last four five years, with a few exceptions. Thats just what I gather from following some tests, but maybe someone from England can correct me on that?
Yeah, they've been generally good 2001 and beyond, after the exceptionally bowler-friendly 2000.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
England's pitches have been good for batting and even for spinners, but we're talking stereotypes here, not facts. I think a lot of people think of England as having good conditions for swing and seam, and the overcast day at Headingley or Lords where 19 wickets fall is sort of a staple of English cricket.

cricketboy29

International Regular
silentstriker said:
You forgot 'Flat Track Bullies'. And crazy, "would have shanked Darrel Hair in the kidney and burned the stadium down", fans.

We probably would'nt have shanked him, and I think even we've moved on from that. Probably would have just started throwing things at Hair..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
Pakistan: great fast bowlers, reverse-swing, pitches that are fast bowlers' graveyards, good batting, horrible fielding, crazy internal politics.[/B]

But they have Inzamam. He complained about leaving the ball and being called out, and hitting the ball and being called out. That man is classic.

I feel we will be calling bizzarre cricketing events 'Inzy-moments' twenty years into the future.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
This is a good thread. Dissipates some of the tension thats built up in the past week.
thx...........actually i am new to CW and finally after two 3 flop threads i get a good response.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Some stereotypes perhaps not mentioned yet. Note these are stereotypes and not necessarily facts.

Australia: Hostile sledgers

SA: Chokers

WI: Young fast bowlers, often very quick, but often amount to nothing.

India: Fans burning effigies of one person or another, chokers in finals, lazy

Pakistan: An 'apparent' never ending depth of fast bowlers

NZ: Battlers who rely on 'guts' and tactics more than talent and superstars.

Bangladesh: Innings loss

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Some stereotypes perhaps not mentioned yet. Note these are stereotypes and not necessarily facts.

You could easily substitute that for Pakistan! :)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:

Australia: Hostile sledgers

SA: Chokers

WI: Young fast bowlers, often very quick, but often amount to nothing.

Pakistan: An 'apparent' never ending depth of fast bowlers

NZ: Battlers who rely on 'guts' and tactics more than talent and superstars.

Bangladesh: Innings loss

I dont really think of indian cricketers TODAY, as lazy..........in fact under Chappell they are quite a hard working bunch!!!!!!