• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Stereotypes!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Turbinator said:
I dont really think of indian cricketers TODAY, as lazy..........in fact under Chappell they are quite a hard working bunch!!!!!!
True. I remember Wright writing (heh) about how when he first got there they were ridiculously unfit. When I was growing up, India were always a team that just relied on their natural talent and didn't really try and add layers onto that, so I think the stereotype is there for a while.

Plus players like Sehwag and Ganguly didn't help the situation either.

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:
Some stereotypes perhaps not mentioned yet. Note these are stereotypes and not necessarily facts.

Australia: Hostile sledgers

SA: Chokers

WI: Young fast bowlers, often very quick, but often amount to nothing.

India: Fans burning effigies of one person or another, chokers in finals, lazy

Pakistan: An 'apparent' never ending depth of fast bowlers

NZ: Battlers who rely on 'guts' and tactics more than talent and superstars.
Bangladesh: Innings loss
Excellent Jono !!!!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Take the "Bad Chasers" from England and give it to Australia.
Seriously? Australia don't have that reputation as far as I'm aware. If anything it's the idea that Australia can chase practically anything.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Seriously? Australia don't have that reputation as far as I'm aware. If anything it's the idea that Australia can chase practically anything.
TBF there's a perception over here at least you used to get a bit chokey against us chasing low targets, especially in dead-rubber tests. Certainly happened at The Oval in 1997 & MCG in 1998.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
As Brumby had it. Getting Aus into those sticky situations is rather difficult of course, in the first place. Don't get me wrong, Aus have been extraordinary for many years, but no team is perfect and it is a weakness afaic.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
TBF there's a perception over here at least you used to get a bit chokey against us chasing low targets, especially in dead-rubber tests. Certainly happened at The Oval in 1997 & MCG in 1998.
Not just against England either. SA in 93/94 (SCG?) and there may be more.

There's definitely a reputation for it over here anyway.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
To be fair it was more than just the Ashes. We'd blitzed everyone for a while previous to the Ashes - hence the hype.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
To be fair it was more than just the Ashes. We'd blitzed everyone for a while previous to the Ashes - hence the hype.
If fairness had anything to do with it, perhaps a word other than "inept" could have been used to describe our guys.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Mundane Yogi said:
If fairness had anything to do with it, perhaps a word other than "inept" could have been used to describe our guys.
I haf a question why does NZ play cricket more often.........I mean they play such little cricket

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Turbinator said:
I got this idea from another cricket forum and felt it would be best to share it along with a few of my views.

India: great spinners, bad fast bowlers, great batting, tendency to commit stupid run-outs, hard to beat at home, ordinary away from home, inconsistent, flat pitches that offer turn but are batters' paradises, extremely rich and pampered, highest paid sports team in the world
:blink:

Pothas

Mundane Yogi said:
Right... and aside from one Ashes series, England have been utterly world-class for the last 15 years or so 8-)
What happened the last time England and New Zealand met in a test match series?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Turbinator said:
I haf a question why does NZ play cricket more often.........I mean they play such little cricket
I often wonder that myself. We have plenty of one day cricket coming up, but there's been stuff all in the way of tests for the last couple of seasons. Also, we've only got two this coming summer, both against Sri Lanka. Now, I've got nothing against them, but they've been here the last two seasons and a bit of variety would be nice.

India were supposed to come, but they postponed. Can't remember why.

andyc

Turbinator said:
Yea i was kinda surprised to but yea they are the highest paid sports team.......60 percent of icc's earnings are through the BCCI........
Highest paid cricket team? Even that I'd doubt, though. Just because the BCCI makes lots of money, doesn't mean the players do.