• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Who do u think is the greatest Asian cricketer ever?

• Vijay Hazare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinoo Mankad

• Zaheer Abbas

• Hanif Mohammad

• Fazal Mahmood

• Saeed Anwar

• Inzamam-Ul-Haq

• Chandershekhar

• Sarfaraz Nawaz

• Anil Kumble

• Shoaib Mohammad

• Abdul Qadir

• Saqlain Mushtaq

• Lalu Amaranath

• Mohammad Yousuf

• Arjuna Ranatunga

• Bishen Singh Bedi

• Moin Khan

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
As per fashion here ,I would like to know the definition of "greatest" . Shoaib's fast bowling and wicket taking and bowling abilities are the greatest in Asia .His way of answering the sledges by means of aggressive bowling is just too good to be true . And the guy who said 37 age some thing . Then How about McGrath ?
I know Murali is a legend in his own terms (close second) but still Murali cannot open the bowling in any innings (Shoaib is a much needed asset in many ways and wickets and records are just a number) .

JBH001

International Regular
d00d! You are not just one-eyed or blind, you seem to have no eyes at all, not to mention ears! Shaoib Akhtar indeed! LOL!

FRAZ

International Captain
aussie said:
top three for me would be Murali, Imran & Tendulkar.
There are so many examples that can be given but let me chose the last Pak-Eng series . SHoaib single handedly broke the English up . Not any other Asian would have been able to do that . Wasim was good but there is something in Shoaib which is different.

JBH001

International Regular
I can't be arsed making this into an argument, mate.

Just let me say that as far as Pak bowlers go, Akhtar would not be fit to tie the shoelaces of Fazal, Sarfraz, Imran, Waqar or Wasim. I'd be surprised if he was even allowed to run alongside the team bus - let alone get in it.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FRAZ said:
As per fashion here ,I would like to know the definition of "greatest" . Shoaib's fast bowling and wicket taking and bowling abilities are the greatest in Asia .His way of answering the sledges by means of aggressive bowling is just too good to be true . And the guy who said 37 age some thing . Then How about McGrath ?
I know Murali is a legend in his own terms (close second) but still Murali cannot open the bowling in any innings (Shoaib is a much needed asset in many ways and wickets and records are just a number) .
Not many fast bowlers play till around 37/38. Also, Akhtar is dependant more on pace and pitching the ball on a spot which is different from say a Wasim Akram who had such a repetoire of deliveries.

Shoaib my have abilities but he has had an injury pronged career and he would have to do far better in time which is slipping fast.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
wasim akram got my vote. an absolute class player who took so many wickets and woulda got more if he hadn't been bowling with the likes of waqar and mushtaq and shoaib in his career. Also hugely capable with the bat.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Imran for his all round ability and legacy as one of the few really successful Pakistan captains (possibly the hardest job in world cricket)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
And the guy who said 37 age some thing . Then How about McGrath ?
McGrath doesn't break every other week because he's obsessed with bowling faster than anyone ever before...

Legglancer

State Regular
JASON said:
Sachin by a long way .

IMO - 1 Sachin

Day light

2 Imran

3 Kapil Dev = Javed Miandad, Wasim Akram

4 Gavaskar, Murali, Bedi, Kumble , Chandrasekhar, Dravid ...

Others
Nice try buddy ..... Since when was "daylight" asian ?8-)

ajnabidost

Cricket Spectator
SA said:
Who do u think is the greatest Asian cricketer ever?
Talking about a complete cricketer .. I think Imran Khan cannot be compare with anyone in this region ..

so my answer is "Imran Khan"

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
JBH001 said:
I can't be arsed making this into an argument, mate.

Just let me say that as far as Pak bowlers go, Akhtar would not be fit to tie the shoelaces of Fazal, Sarfraz, Imran, Waqar or Wasim. I'd be surprised if he was even allowed to run alongside the team bus - let alone get in it.
i think you under-rating big Shoaib's ability way too much, prior to the 2005 series vs England there was questions about his commitment, but even so at his best he is as dangerous as any fast bowler that has played over the past 20 years.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I just realized that Miandad is not one of the choices. I know SA probably just forgot, but it's pretty funny that Moin Khan is listed but no Miandad! :detective

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
I just realized that Miandad is not one of the choices. I know SA probably just forgot, but it's pretty funny that Moin Khan is listed but no Miandad! :detective
yeah that was real funny...also where is the "legend" afridi???:laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SA said:
Who do u think is the greatest Asian cricketer ever? I think it has be Imran Khan. I think Wasim Akram,Sunil Gavaskar, Muttiah Muralitharan, Sachin Tendulkar,Javed Miandad,Zaheer Abbas,Hanif Mohammad & Kapil Dev are the guys who would come close to him.

The poll is way too large. You need to narrow the choice down to three-six people. This just gets confusing and unwieldy. Especially since you know that about 90% of the people you put up there have no chance of winning at all (so why are they up there?). I mean, when maknig the poll, did you actually think that anyone would vote for Saqlain Mushtaq as the greatest cricketer in subcontinent history?

adharcric

International Coach
I'd look at the candidates for "best ever cricketer" from Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India ...

Muttiah Muralitharan ... Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis ... Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Kapil Dev

As a cricketer, Imran > Kapil and Wasim > Waqar. Dravid hasn't done enough yet.
So it boils down to the following five: Muralitharan, Imran, Akram, Gavaskar and Tendulkar.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I wanted to know (since i am new i dunt) wutsup with CW and AA.....why are u all such big fans of him?