• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is India Over Rated?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Has the Indian cricket team over the years been overrated? Are they really that good that many teams fear them? Did Steve Waugh really do justice to the word by labbeling India as the "final frontier"?

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
In India, the combination of a number of factors makes winning here difficult. The Indian team however, is definitely overrated. The Indian media, is primarily responsible for this.

cricketboy29

International Regular
The Indian team IMO sometimes suffers from the same disease that England's football team gets when they have to take penalties...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Turbinator said:
Has the Indian cricket team over the years been overrated? Are they really that good that many teams fear them? Did Steve Waugh really do justice to the word by labbeling India as the "final frontier"?
Wasn't that quote about touring India rather than the team itself, though?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
cricketboy29 said:
The Indian team IMO sometimes suffers from the same disease that England's football team gets when they have to take penalties...
What? They're lazy, greedy, overpaid, overrated tossers who don't really give a **** but just try to make it vaguely look like they're taking one for the team, too?

FRAZ

International Captain
India is a great team . The only problem that I see is that they don't have finishing touch and killer instinct in their bowling .Bar Kumble all the bowlers are sitting at that 70% mark , I mean no one is there in the brilliant 90's percentile or so . They are not over rated and they rated just fine .. They can't perform up to their potential outside of India and I don't know why in the name of hell . Otherwise its a brilliant team to have in the world cricket .

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I am going to divert this thread towards Pakistan now. Do you guys think PAKISTAN are overrated or underrated, and why?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FRAZ said:
India is a great team . The only problem that I see is that they don't have finishing touch and killer instinct in their bowling .Bar Kumble all the bowlers are sitting at that 70% mark , I mean no one is there in the brilliant 90's percentile or so . They are not over rated and they rated just fine .. They can't perform up to their potential outside of India and I don't know why in the name of hell . Otherwise its a brilliant team to have in the world cricket .
Define "great".

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Turbinator said:
Did Steve Waugh really do justice to the word by labbeling India as the "final frontier"?
Steve Waugh labelled the tour to India Australia's "final frontier" in that it was the only place the Australian side at the time had not won. I believe Australia had failed to win a series on Indian soil since Chappell was captain in the 70's, it may have been even earlier.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Great Birtannia said:
Steve Waugh labelled the tour to India Australia's "final frontier" in that it was the only place the Australian side at the time had not won. I believe Australia had failed to win a series on Indian soil since Chappell was captain in the 70's, it may have been even earlier.
Yup, Waugh never did win one. Though Ponting did the year after Waugh retired.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Great Birtannia said:

I agree, however thats the point i want to showcase. Yes he labbeled the tour, but labbeling the tour OF INDIA as the final frontier is still IMO overrating the Indian Team. Plus, they were favourites to win the tour. I mean at that time you look at the Australian and Indian squad, clearly the Australian team was far stronger.

I hope you get the point!

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I don't know if India are overrated or not. When they come here, the media always make a big deal over their batting lineup, but I don't think the team overall is really rated as a threat in the same way that Australia (obviously), or England or SA are. NZ has a reasonable record against India, so obviously that decreases the intimidation factor. I think that India are too inconsistent to ever be truely overrated, especially when you consider their vast playing resources.

A lot of the same points could also be directed at Pakistan, but it's usually their bowlers that get the attention here.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turbinator said:
I agree, however thats the point i want to showcase. Yes he labbeled the tour, but labbeling the tour OF INDIA as the final frontier is still IMO overrating the Indian Team. Plus, they were favourites to win the tour. I mean at that time you look at the Australian and Indian squad, clearly the Australian team was far stronger.

I hope you get the point!
India are extremely hard to beat at home, even by a generally superior Australian team, as evidenced by Waugh's failures there. Thus, at home, they aren't over-rated... yet.

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Define "great".
Hmmm Un-American or lets say Un-minnowen ,hmmmm Let me check what (dictionary) says .........
1. unusually or comparatively large in size or dimensions: A great fire destroyed nearly half the city.
2. large in number; numerous: Great hordes of tourists descend on Europe each summer.
3. unusual or considerable in degree, power, intensity, etc.: great pain.
4. wonderful; first-rate; very good: We had a great time. That's great!
5. being such in an extreme or notable degree: great friends; a great talker.
6. notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding: a great occasion.
7. important; highly significant or consequential: the great issues in American history.
8. distinguished; famous: a great inventor.
9. of noble or lofty character: great thoughts.
10. chief or principal: the great hall; his greatest novel.
11. of high rank, official position, or social standing: a great noble.
12. much in use or favor: “Humor” was a great word with the old physiologists.
13. of extraordinary powers; having unusual merit; very admirable: a great statesman.
14. of considerable duration or length: We waited a great while for the train.
15. Informal. a. enthusiastic about some specified activity (usually fol. by at, for, or on): He's great on reading poetry aloud.
b. skillful; expert (usually fol. by at or on): He's great at golf.

16. being of one generation more remote from the family relative specified (used in combination): a great-grandson.
–adverb 17. Informal. very well: Things have been going great for him.
–noun 18. a person who has achieved importance or distinction in a field: She is one of the theater's greats.
19. great persons, collectively: England's literary great.
20. (often initial capital letter) greats, (used with a singular verb) Also called great go. British Informal. a. the final examination for the bachelor's degree in the classics and mathematics, or Literae Humaniores, esp. at Oxford University and usually for honors.
b. the course of study.
c. the subject studied.

—Related forms
greatness, noun

immense, enormous, gigantic, huge, vast, grand. Great, big, large refer to size, extent, and degree. In reference to the size and extent of concrete objects, big is the most general and most colloquial word, large is somewhat more formal, and great is highly formal and even poetic, suggesting also that the object is notable or imposing: a big tree; a large tree; a great oak; a big field; a large field; great plains. When the reference is to degree or a quality, great is the usual word: great beauty; great mistake; great surprise; although big sometimes alternates with it in colloquial style: a big mistake; a big surprise; large is not used in reference to degree, but may be used in a quantitative reference: a large number (great number). 6. noteworthy. 7. weighty, serious, momentous, vital, critical. 8. famed, eminent, noted, notable, prominent, renowned. 9. elevated, exalted, dignified. 10. main, grand, leading.

Very large in size.
Larger in size than others of the same kind.
Large in quantity or number: A great throng awaited us. See Synonyms at large.
Extensive in time or distance: a great delay.
Remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree, or extent: a great crisis.
Of outstanding significance or importance: a great work of art.
Chief or principal: the great house on the estate.
Superior in quality or character; noble: “For he was great, ere fortune made him so” (John Dryden).
Powerful; influential: one of the great nations of the West.
Eminent; distinguished: a great leader.
Grand; aristocratic.
Informal. Enthusiastic: a great lover of music.
Informal. Very skillful: great at algebra.
Informal. Very good; first-rate: We had a great time at the dance.
Being one generation removed from the relative specified. Often used in combination: a great-granddaughter.
Archaic. Pregnant.

I highlighted the definitions that I realy liked ...

P.S. ( I think this is the only word which has so many meanings ) ...

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
India are extremely hard to beat at home, even by a generally superior Australian team, as evidenced by Waugh's failures there. Thus, at home, they aren't over-rated... yet.
Could have said Great instead of extremly hard but nooooooooo ...