• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Soth Africa ball tampered in 1997

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Dasa said:
It doesn't have "massive bias".
All newspapers have massive bias towards their country. That is just a fact, and goes for any newspaper around the world. Most of what the papers say is complete garbage anyway.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Matteh said:
Because they're exactly the same? Nope.
What's your point? Did I say they're exactly the same? No!
Matteh said:
I'm not defending Rich, R_D absolutely jumped down the throat of Aussiedominance for pointing out that there could be bias involved.
It's fair enough on R_D's part. It seems that whenever a subcontinental source is brought up on these forums, it's immediately dismissed as biased. And if you're not defending Langeveldt, why did you quote me when I commented specifically to his posts and no-one elses?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
It's fair enough on R_D's part. It seems that whenever a subcontinental source is brought up on these forums, it's immediately dismissed as biased.
I believe that it gets tied in with the massive bias that some members have tbh which then creates a stereotype which of course not all members are like.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Well considering you had a go at Langeveldt for doing the same thing, it's just amusing.
I didn't, Lang's insinuations were clearly biased in nature and I point that the actual source was Aussie and not 'The Hindu' which he refused to even read and respond.

Otoh what you are doing is Clutching@you-know-what. :)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Matteh said:
I believe that it gets tied in with the massive bias that some members have tbh which then creates a stereotype which of course not all members are like.
Well, I'm going to be honest and say it's pretty foolish to stereotype everyone based on the impressions you (not you personally) get from a minority. The members you've mentioned definitely are a minority among subcontinental fans, there would probably be a similar number of highly biased idiots from any team with significant support on these forums.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Matteh said:
You should perhaps just apologize and leave the thread, because you have gotten all this completely wrong, and Sanz and Dasa are wiping the floor with you. To be honest I can't even understand what you're arguing, because you were on a definite loser as soon as the article was identified as being sourced from a paper in Australia.

And it's stupid to say that newspapers can't be valid sources of information, particularly as, while this issue has raged, newspaper articles have been cited left, right and center at this forum as new developments arise, without having to be constantly questioned by snipers saying "That's from the AGE" or "That's from the Barbados Nation News" or whatever.

IMO, one of the worst features of debates these days (particularly on the net) is the fact that you can discredit or demean a viewpoint given based only on the source of it's publication. It's one thing if an author has a known irrational bias or leaning, but to discredit an article, simply because of the country it's from?

That's lame, and it got the reaction it deserved.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
And it's stupid to say that newspapers can't be valid sources of information, particularly as, while this issue has raged, newspaper articles have been cited left, right and center at this forum as new developments arise, without having to be constantly questioned by snipers saying "That's from the AGE" or "That's from the Barbados Nation News" or whatever.

IMO, one of the worst features of debates these days (particularly on the net) is the fact that you can discredit or demean a viewpoint given based only on the source of it's publication. It's one thing if an author has a known irrational bias or leaning, but to discredit an article, simply because of the country it's from?

That's lame, and it got the reaction it deserved.
Congratulations on missing the entire point i was making.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
"I can't even understand what you're arguing".
LOL. That was disparaging. But I did say I read back through the thread afterwards, to be sure. :)

It just didn't make sense largely because if he'd read the actual articles, he'd have seen that while he was rabbiting on about it having a subcontinental bias (because of where it was from), it was actually having a go at Woolmer, the current Pakistan coach, and the interview it presented was actually in defence of Hair. And like I said, the presumption that an opinion has a lesser value simply because of what country it's source paper is printed in is lame, and he made exactly that comment.

Matteh: "The point made was not that The Hindu should be completely disregarded as it's a subcontinental newspaper, just that it should be taken with a pinch of salt due to the massive bias it'll have. The same would apply for a English, Aus or Saffie newspaper. Did you never have to write history essays?"

He went on to argue this further. My response addresses this, so "congratulations for missing the entire point I was making" seems a tad ungraceful.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
LOL. That was disparaging. But I did say I read back through the thread afterwards, to be sure. :).
Lol I was joking, probably should've added a smiley to confirm it. :)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Clearly,judging by this thread It's NOT easy to swallow being charged with ball tampering is it?

Would have been interesting to note a few reactions on here :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
Atherton was fined for having dirt in his pocket - which was used for drying his hands, he was not done for ball tampering. If other cases are the same then those individuals weren't done for ball tampering either.

:laugh: They don't have towels and hankerchiefs in England? They have to resort to dirt to dry their hands?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Calling Langeveldt. Calling Langeveldt. So considering that our 'Tinpot Daily' was not the first newspaper to run the story - nor was it the only country (I suppose all the aussie newspapers, as well as Fox sports are also 'tinpot dailies'). You still haven't responsed to the fact that the source was Australian, not Indian. As if that made any difference.

You have not shown up in this thread for a couple pages. What gives? Realized that maybe its not just our Tinpot Daily that ran the story?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
AussieDominance said:
well its a very subcontinent sided paper

Oh yea, because soemthing called 'The Hindu' would be chomping at the bits to defend Pakistan anyway, right?

In any case, its an unbiased source as any.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Barney Rubble said:
When the hell did I say they were disadvantaged? All I said is they don't enjoy touring the subcontinent, which is backed up by things the players themselves said at the time. Get your facts right. 8-)

BUDDY dont say cricketers dont like to travel the WHOLE subcontinent..........when was there a comment made by players that they did not like to travel INDIA huh? As a matter of fact, many foreign cricketers love to travel India b/c of the culture and cuisine the flavours and all other things are quite wonderful for foreigners to get accustomed too........so all in all YOU get ur facts rite and dont mix India with sri lanka or bangladesh.................plus i think your cricketers need to start toughening up a bit.

PLUS..........dont think your countries are that great either .........ive been to both australia and england and it wasnt that pleasant ...especially compared to north america!!!