• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Soth Africa ball tampered in 1997

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
1/ Thats from the Hindu Times
2/ You can't even spell "South" correctly
3/ Who are you?
What's the issue with it being from The Hindu? It's as reliable a source as any, and at any rate the story has been running in many other newspapers.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to say that whilst Atherton may technically not have been fined £2,000 for ball tampering (half was for the dirt in the pocket, half was for lying about it to the match ref IIRC) anyone who thinks he wasn't using the dirt the alter the condition of the match ball is being naive.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
All teams probably do it, Pakistan just seem to be better at getting caught than anyone else.
All depends on your defination of "being caught", as i think in the latest episode its the umpire that has been found dead wrong.

I think this whole tampering thing is rubbish, players should be allowed to tamper the ball by using the fingernails & dirt.Eventually i think laws will be altered.

Oh did jerry get his share of 500,000 $$???:unsure:

Dasa

AussieDominance said:
well its a very subcontinent sided paper
So any sources from the subcontinent are automatically disqualified? What sort of logic is that? Anyway, the story was in the Australian media as well.

R_D

International Debutant
AussieDOminance...... lol. are you just taking the **** out of the guy or do you actually beleive in all that crap you've spilled in this thread.

I'll just clear one thing anyway.. Tendulkar wasn't fined for ball tempering i beleive.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
3/ Who are you?
1. Can you Read ? It's 'The Hindu' and it has more credibility than any English or SA Newspaper
2. Nitpicking as usual when running out of arguments
3. attack the indivudual when run out of arguments.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
Regarding ball-tampering, I think a lot of you can benefit from reading Andrew Miller's column about it on cricinfo.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
3/ Who are you?
A) There is no such thing as the Hindu Times. Its "the Hindu'. It is a very reputable newspaper. It has since been corroborated by other publications.

B) How does the identity of the poster matter?

R_D said:
AussieDOminance...... lol. are you just taking the **** out of the guy or do you actually beleive in all that crap you've spilled in this thread.

I'll just clear one thing anyway.. Tendulkar wasn't fined for ball tempering i beleive.
i beleive in it otherwise i wouldnt have posted it

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well if these "afrikaner boys" are such cheats, then why on earth has no Englishman, Aussie or South African been formally charged with ball tampering? Surely it would be in Jarmans interests to have charged them if there is such "conclusive proof" of wrongdoing..

I also wonder how much Jarman was offered by "The Hindu" for releasing this "revelation"

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Well if these "afrikaner boys" are such cheats, then why on earth has no Englishman, Aussie or South African been formally charged with ball tampering? Surely it would be in Jarmans interests to have charged them if there is such "conclusive proof" of wrongdoing..

I also wonder how much Jarman was offered by "The Hindu" for releasing this "revelation"
What I would really like to know is when Hindu became to be called the Courier-Mail?

"The ball is only 16 overs old yet one side has been tampered with and you can see where they have run their thumbails down the seam which opens up," Jarman told The Courier-Mail. "The open seam (which caught the sweat) meant one side was heavier than the other.

From: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/story/257827.html

But don't let the facts get in the way...try and find out how much Hindu did pay Jarman and do let us know..

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Let's be honest here. Most teams have tampered with the ball at some time or another.
The 11th commandment is, You can do anything, just don't get caught! When it's about money, power, prestige, fame or recognition, that is the commandment mostly obeyed. :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

Are you doing PHD in passing idiotic and ignorant comments. The Hindu didn't disclsoe it, Jarman gave an interview to Some aussie newspaper (Reporter - Robert Cradock).

Btw Where was Michael Artherton from ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
he was accused but not proven
If you have got proper vision and know how to read, here is some read for you :-

1994 - In a test between England and South Africa at Lord's, England's Mike Atherton is fined for tampering with the ball by using dirt in his pocket to scuff up the ball. Atherton maintains he was drying his hands with the dirt.

SportsIllustrated

Dasa

Langeveldt said:

Wow. Astonishing hypocrisy and ignorance.

cricketboy29

International Regular
So if it's in any English/Australian newspaper then it's ok. But if it's an Indian Newspaper, hell no. It's all lies, they're all making stuff up for a quick buck.

And when did Indians actaully get charged from ball-tampering, as far as I can recall. It was only the pakistanis not the Indians. Frankly, I think that's bull as well. What was called ball-tampering then, is now called reverse swing now. Hailed as a new art...etc etc..