• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS : Hair wrote to ICC offering to resign

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Speed just announced on TV that Hair had announced to resign against a one time payment of $500,000 !!

I caught only the last couple of sentences of Speed (on ESPN) and the summation by the ESPN presenters.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the story

n his letter, which was released to the media, Hair said: " I am prepared to retire/stand down/reqlinquish my position on the elite panel to take effect from August 31 2006. This payment is to be the sum of $500,000 details of which must be kept confidential by both parties. This sum to be paid directly into my account by August 31, 2006. ICC may announce the retirement in anyway they wish but I would prefer a simple "lifestyle choice" as this was the very reason I moved from Australia to settle in the UK three years ago."

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why not ? It tells us another side of the honest, ethical individual named Mr. Darrell Hair who tried to cash in on the situation or may be that was his plan all along.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
Why not ? It tells us another side of the honest, ethical individual named Mr. Darrell Hair who tried to cash in on the situation or may be that was his plan all along.
I don't think that's the ICC's agenda though. I'm simply asking what they've got to gain from publicising something like that instead of working it out behind closed doors. Releasing the letter doesn't really reflect well on either party.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
I don't think that's the ICC's agenda though. I'm simply asking what they've got to gain from publicising something like that instead of working it out behind closed doors. Releasing the letter doesn't really reflect well on either party.
I think this was a move by ICC to force Hair to resign...without the payment of course. This release makes Hair look even worse than before. He comes out as a greedy soul who is willing to back away from the fight to defend himself for a cash payment. From here on, I don't see how Hair will ever umpire again. His career is finished.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
No it doesnt. I was shocked to read it.

I think ICC are **** scared of the fall out of this whole episode and dont want any negative publicity. They might be worried as to how it would look if it came out from some other source. Or they thought they would look very 'white' if they came clean on their own.

Whatever maybe the case, this is not a good development. The game is getting some terrible publicity.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just the other day Mr. Hair was giving interview to someone and said :-

"...I’ll be putting a lot to my side when this is all over. I have been vilified by virtually everybody here and when the truth comes out a lot of people will pay...."

Thanks to ICC, now we know what he really meant. ;)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
Just the other day Mr. Hair was giving interview to someone and said :-

"...I’ll be putting a lot to my side when this is all over. I have been vilified by virtually everybody here and when the truth comes out a lot of people will pay...."

Thanks to ICC, now we know what he really meant. ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Expect more of this sort of behaviour from the ICC, Hair will be a target because he's dispensable. It's difficult for the ICC to effectively brand Pakistan cheats because of the ramifications it would have on cricket with the power the Asian boards have and as Pakistan have shown already they most certainly not above blackmail. Also the ICC have the CT coming up which is where they get most of their money from. Since the ICC have most if not all of the evidence from Pakistan's alleged ball tampering and the ICC's love of the easy way out it doesn't take a genius to work out which way their political fudge is going to lead us.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Interesting, Obviously he's not confident about his decision and has probably realised how he approached what was happening and how he did it was wrong... possibly

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
Interesting, Obviously he's not confident about his decision and has probably realised how he approached what was happening and how he did it was wrong... possibly
Possible.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
Expect more of this sort of behaviour from the ICC, Hair will be a target because he's dispensable. It's difficult for the ICC to effectively brand Pakistan cheats because of the ramifications it would have on cricket with the power the Asian boards have and as Pakistan have shown already they most certainly not above blackmail. Also the ICC have the CT coming up which is where they get most of their money from. Since the ICC have most if not all of the evidence from Pakistan's alleged ball tampering and the ICC's love of the easy way out it doesn't take a genius to work out which way their political fudge is going to lead us.
Weren't you advocating everyone to "shut up" until the facts are out? Here you're implying that Pakistan did cheat but ICC just don't want to take action against them. How about this logic: As you pointed out, the ICC have probably reviewed the evidence against Pakistan. They have probably concluded there isn't anything there to suggest tampering. And then they had this umpire who's always been a problem and is currently blackmailing them for $500,000. So they thought let's release the letter and have the public make their own conclusions about its contents. I would expect the vast majority of people would have a very bad impression of Hair after reading this letter (if they didn't have one before). So it would probably lead to his exit from the game. So now the ICC can fine/ban Inzi for forfieting the match. They'll probably won't make as big a deal about it if they know that Hair is being pushed out the door as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Two things you must know about Scaly :-

1. Charity doesn't begin at his home.
2. His Asian friends are mighty rich.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha, mental, at least Mr Hair knows what he wants.. He could do an awful lot with 500K..

This story just goes from the rediculous to the hilarious.. Reckon the International Corruption Corporation will cough up?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fusion said:
Weren't you advocating everyone to "shut up" until the facts are out? Here you're implying that Pakistan did cheat but ICC just don't want to take action against them. How about this logic: As you pointed out, the ICC have probably reviewed the evidence against Pakistan. They have probably concluded there isn't anything there to suggest tampering. And then they had this umpire who's always been a problem and is currently blackmailing them for $500,000. So they thought let's release the letter and have the public make their own conclusions about its contents. I would expect the vast majority of people would have a very bad impression of Hair after reading this letter (if they didn't have one before). So it would probably lead to his exit from the game. So now the ICC can fine/ban Inzi for forfieting the match. They'll probably won't make as big a deal about it if they know that Hair is being pushed out the door as well.
There's only your paranoia that makes you think I'm implying Pakistan cheated in my last post. I would also suggest you look up what blackmail means when you accuse Hair of it, because as usual your Pakistan bias is getting the better of you. Blackmail (well it's not quite blackmail unless you deem Pakistan's boycott to be illegal) is doing what Pakistan did, threatening to pull out unless they get their way. Offering your resignation for a price is not blackmail, it's simply a somewhat dubious offer and it's the sort of thing that happens in politics (as this whole thing is now) all the time.

Last edited: