• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS : Hair wrote to ICC offering to resign

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Here is the full transcript of emails, from Cricinfo:

Full transcript of emails

August 25, 2006

From Darrell Hair
Sent Tuesday 22nd August 2006
To Doug Cowie
Subject The way forward

Doug,

Just to firm up what we discussed earlier this evening. I appreciate the ICC may be put in a untenable position with regards to future appointments and having taken considerable time and advice, I make this one-off, non-negotiable offer.

I am prepared to retire/stand down/relinquish my position on the elite panel to take effect from 31st August 2006 on the following terms:

1 A one-off payment to compensate the loss of future earnings and retain a payment over the next four years which I believe would have been the best years I have to offer ICC and world umpiring. This payment is be the sum of [US dollars] 500,000 - details of which must be kept confidential by both parties. This sum to be paid directly into my account by 31st August 2006.

2 ICC may announce the retirement in any way they wish, but I would prefer a simple 'lifestyle choice' as this was the very reason I moved from Australia to settle in the UK three years ago.

3 No public comment to be made by me as to possible reasons for the decision.

4 This offer in no way precludes me taking legal action and/or instigating libel suits against various sections of the electronic and print media for comments made either previously or in the future.

5 This in no way precludes me taking civil action (and exercising my rights as a resident of the UK in any court of law and by any other avenue open to me) against any organisation or persons currently part of ICC and in particular, members of the Pakistan cricket team and the Pakistan Cricket Board.

I reiterate this is a once only offer and if I fail to obtain your agreement I shall continue to be available under the terms of my current contract till March 31 2008 to fulfil umpiring appointments as and when ICC sees fit in any country at any time in any series or matches involving any affiliated teams.

I would also insist that my ongoing contracted employment continue in its current form until such time as an ICC performance assessment deems me to be no longer able to perform the duties to the high class expected of an international umpire.

Would you please let me know at your earliest convenience of your acceptance or otherwise of this offer.

Sincerely,

Darrell Hair

From Doug Cowie
ToDarrell Hair
CC David Richardson
Sent Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Subject Re: The way forward.

Darrell, Your offer may have merit and is acknowledged and under discussions with ICC management. Your timeframes seemed impractical at first glance even if agreement were achieved on the suggestion. Will discuss this further tomorrow. Doug

From Darrell Hair
SentTuesday, August 22, 2006
To Doug Cowie
Subject Re: The way forward

Doug, Phones have been ringing off the hook (or out of the mobile charger anyway!) since early this morning - ICC are not the only ones marshalling legal counsel. It appears from overnight developments that the issue of racism has arisen and from advice I have just received, the sum indicated in my release offer is being revised. Therefore the offer is withdrawn until I have had the chance to take further advice. Hope to get back to you within the next 24 hours. Cheers, Darrell.

From Malcolm Speed
To Darrell Hair
Subject Letters

Dear Darrell, I have been given copies of letters that you have forwarded to Doug Cowie today concerning the current issue. The matters raised by you concerning your future employment are entirely inappropriate. There is a clear process that is to be followed and it is in place. I will call you tomorrow to advise as to progress. Yours sincerely, Malcolm

From Darrell Hair
To Malcolm Speed
Subject Re: Letters

Thanks Malcolm, I have revoked the email. As you say it is inappropriate and we will see how things unfold over the next few days. It would appear that life will go on regardless. I have just sent Doug another message with you and David copied in about events under my control and some others that are not! Cheers, Darrell.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Isn't it very common for employees to get a golden handshake when they are forced to leave the job? I'm not that shocked by the 500k to be honest.
True, but it's normally a very highly paid company Chief Executive who has made a balls up of one job, takes a huge amount of money to leave and then becomes Chief Executive of another company the next day. :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It does look like Hair was advised that he will not find it easy to umpire in the future. Pakistan have flatly refused, Bangla Desh have followed suit and many others around the world are finding him at fault.

He may have thought it would be more practical to quit with a compensation from ICC. Plus it would help assuage Pakistan feelings in a way and reduce some of the tension in the game.

The fact that ICC immediately decided to share the information with PCB does show that they expected a positive response from PCB to this news. This may have been anticipated in the original consideration.

The amount of loss (10 million ponds was mentioned) if Pakistan refused to play the ODI's would be huge compared to the compensation to be paid to Hair.

Its possible, just possible, that Hair was being cold bloodedly practical till the very end!

Fusion

Global Moderator
Steulen said:
Isn't it very common for employees to get a golden handshake when they are forced to leave the job? I'm not that shocked by the 500k to be honest.
Hair initiated the offer. ICC had been backing him publicly from the start. So as far as I can tell, he wasn't being forced to leave at first. Regardless, what it shows to me is his lack of character. If he was so sure about doing the right thing, then why back down and take a cash settlement and disappear? Why not fight for his reputation and views tooth and nail? Some columnist that had risen to his defense had made him out to be the defender of truth, justice, and everything good in cricket. They portrayed him as a man not afraid to confront the wrongs in cricket and not one to back down. I wonder what those columnist will be writing about next?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What is concerning here is, Mr. Hair somehow thought that ICC was going to meet his demands and hence in his reply to Cowie he said the following :-

"It appears from overnight developments that the issue of racism has arisen and from advice I have just received, the sum indicated in my release offer is being revised
]. "

Steulen

International Regular
Lillian Thomson said:
True, but it's normally a very highly paid company Chief Executive who has made a balls up of one job, takes a huge amount of money to leave and then becomes Chief Executive of another company the next day. :D
I 'd guess an elite umpire makes 125,000 a year (seeing as he wants 500k for 4 years of umpiring lost), so that puts him in the bracket of well-paid executives who don't mess up for free.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
They portrayed him as a man not afraid to confront the wrongs in cricket and not one to back down. I wonder what those columnist will be writing about next?
Justifications and more justification, how Hair was forced to act in such a way and blah blah blah.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
What is concerning here is, Mr. Hair somehow thought that ICC was going to meet his demands and hence in his reply to Cowie he said the following :-

"It appears from overnight developments that the issue of racism has arisen and from advice I have just received, the sum indicated in my release offer is being revised
]. "
Indicating that he wanted an even higher amount! Amazing.

Steulen

International Regular
Fusion said:
Hair initiated the offer. ICC had been backing him publicly from the start. So as far as I can tell, he wasn't being forced to leave at first. Regardless, what it shows to me is his lack of character. If he was so sure about doing the right thing, then why back down and take a cash settlement and disappear? Why not fight for his reputation and views tooth and nail? Some columnist that had risen to his defense had made him out to be the defender of truth, justice, and everything good in cricket. They portrayed him as a man not afraid to confront the wrongs in cricket and not one to back down. I wonder what those columnist will be writing about next?
Where does it say Hair initiated the offer. I don't think such an offer comes out of the blue, i'm guessing this was the result of some negotiating beforehand and ICC is now playing a ratty part in the whole affair.

Steulen

International Regular
Fusion said:
Indicating that he wanted an even higher amount! Amazing.
Well, to keep up the executive analogy, Hair wouldn't be so sure of getting another job the next day so he needed to put some more money in the bank :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Steulen said:
Where does it say Hair initiated the offer. I don't think such an offer comes out of the blue, i'm guessing this was the result of some negotiating beforehand and ICC is now playing a ratty part in the whole affair.
The e-mail trail begins with him. If he didn't start the offer, he would've said so in the statement he released. This revelation makes him look really bad. If the ICC had approached him first about money, don't you think he would've clarified in his statement "hey I was just responding to their offer"???

Steulen

International Regular
Fusion said:
The e-mail trail begins with him. If he didn't start the offer, he would've said so in the statement he released. This revelation makes him look really bad. If the ICC had approached him first about money, don't you think he would've clarified in his statement "hey I was just responding to their offer"???
Yes, and the first line is: just to firm up what we discussed earlier this evening. To me, that indicates they had more or less agreed what strategy to take (Hair resigns, ICC makes sure he's not scrutinised to death as to why, and he gets a bag of money). They probably didn't count on him asking for 500k, and they decided to change their tack. To drag out the old saying: it's just not cricket

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hair withdraws resignation

"There is a now a communication from myself to the ICC in the public domain. This correspondence was composed at a very difficult time and was revoked by myself two days alter after a period of serious consideration. There was no malicious intent behind this communication with the ICC.

"I am anxious that the Code of Conduct hearing takes place as soon as possible so that these matters can be resolved and allow me to move on with my umpiring.

"This is the only public comment I will be making on this matter and I request that the privacy of my family is respected at this time."

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Speculation @ best.

deeps

International 12th Man
Fusion said:
Mike AthertonSo poor old Inzy finds himself under two charges, but Darrell Hair, after these extraordinary letters, finds himself under no charge whatsoever "
and possibly 500,000 richer :P

deeps

International 12th Man
SJS said:
It does look like Hair was advised that he will not find it easy to umpire in the future. Pakistan have flatly refused, Bangla Desh have followed suit and many others around the world are finding him at fault.
!
I dint hear that? Got a link plz? (the bangladesh part)

deeps

International 12th Man
social said:
If the issue was unfair dismissal - yep
this could be argued many ways
1) He wasn't dismissed
2) if he was dismissd, it was because he was no longer suitable for the job. ie. couldn't umpire most matches, due to his bad relations.
3) He caused too many problems in the workplace
4) He stuffed up a 'job' big time
5) He staled the companys reputation

probably more, but i think the icc could prove it wasn't 'unfair' at all

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
I dint hear that? Got a link plz? (the bangladesh part)

"Darrell Hair was probably advised to do what he has done. He was under a huge amount of pressure. It didn't help when he had the Pakistan team saying they wouldn't have Darrell Hair as an umpire again and Bangladesh following suit. It's not the sort of thing you need."

Former England captain Mike Gatting

cricinfo