• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can pakistan qualify for the super-six?

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Looking at the present situation,i have a feeling that pakistan will even fail to qualify for the super-six in world cup matches.what do you think?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you're right. Pakistan cricket is in disaray & with the management leaving, then staying & mucking around the players won't be feeling very re-assured which will affect their performances on the pitch.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Of course they can qualify.. it's just whether the team blows hot come February.

Although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they didnt. ODI Cricket can be so fickle..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's between 3 teams for 2 places - Eng, Ind and Pak (in all honesty)

I can see a case for all 3 of them going through (but not all together if you get what I mean)

Pak could quite easily beat Aus and Ind, but then lose to Zim, Eng and one of Nam or Net and then go out - they're that inconsistent!

basil

There is still 3-4 months left for the WC.I think the seniors will return by then and Pak team will become strong again.

I think they will make it to the super six along with India and Aus, England have little chance of making it to the super six.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think that it will just be the usual suspects in the super-six:

Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
England
New Zealand/Pakistan fighting it out for the last spot.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
For Pakistan the question comes at a bad time. If the present form continues, it doesn't take a genius to predict that Pakistan will not make it to the Super Six.

I think most of us have seen enough cricket to know not to stamp a decision as to who will make it and who wont, and especially as mark points out, when its Pakistan we are talking about you just never know, quite possibly a month from now we could be pondering as to how we thought Pakistan wouldn't make it to the Super six....ironically we could be proven right as well. Let time be the judge.

basil

Originally posted by sean

Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
England
New Zealand/Pakistan fighting it out for the last spot.
LOL, Aus, Ind,Eng and Pak are in the same group, which means that only three from among them can qualify, and u have all four of them in super six!!!

NZ is certainly gonna qualify and England's chances are very slim, Pak will make it too!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain

Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
England
New Zealand/Pakistan fighting it out for the last spot
What do you mean usual ? A wind up eh ?
On current form thats what i would say as well.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Gotchya

Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
England
New Zealand/Pakistan fighting it out for the last spot
What do you mean usual ? A wind up eh ?
On current form thats what i would say as well.
I would change that list just a little to look like this:

Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
New Zealand
England/Pakistan fighting it out for the last spot.

There!! That looks about right on current form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
New Zealand

Can't argue with that!

In 4 months time though we don't know what form teams will be in!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Affirmitive. This has been a deep pit, very hard to get the confidence going again, Pakistan is now not a cinfident side but a weak and frail looking mush, lets see if they have the strength of character to rise from their knees. Also, the returning of seniors will affect the play, sure, but the morale is so down and the winning streak broken so deplorably that well it will take some doing to get gojng again.

In earlier posts in the Kenya tournament, i said that Pakistan will have to start all over again, all the good work of the past was dumped down the sewer in two months time. But, again I can only hope that things change for the better.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
Australia
Sri Lanka
India
South Africa
New Zealand

Can't argue with that!

In 4 months time though we don't know what form teams will be in!
Why? Do you think it will be

Bangladesh
Kenya
Holland
Zimbabwe
Windies
Canada maybe?;)

In one dayers, form may be fickle, but it doesn't really change all that much in such a short time.

For example,

The only difference maybe six months back would have been:

Australia
Pakistan
SA
New Zealand
India
SL

6 months back, England wouldn't have qualified and it would have been Aus, Pak and Ind from that group.:)

In the current list, England and Pak are fighting it out for the sixth spot only because of Pak's recent poor form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In the current list, England and Pak are fighting it out for the sixth spot only because of Pak's recent poor form.
And England have improved - whether they can sustain that is the key.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
And England have improved - whether they can sustain that is the key.
Still won't beat a confident full-strength Pak team. All-rounders like Ronnie Irani or Flintoff can win you the odd game, but England's fortunes depend mainly on the form of Marcus Trescothick and a fully-fit Gough and these two have to come good in a big way for England to do well in the WC.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Still won't beat a confident full-strength Pak team.
And the likelihood of meeting them?
Well...Inzi and Youhana could be back from injuries. They will surely bring back Akram and Anwar after the debacle against Australia. If you include Azhar Mehmood, an injury free Abdul Razzaq and keep some of the more promising youngsters in the current team, it is a different team altogether. If both teams play at their best, more than a match for England, I would say.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Yeah England is definetely the weaker ODI side, but its ODI and anything can happen.

Im not sure if you guys remember, before the WC92 everything that could go wrong with Pak, did go wrong. Imran injured his shoulder, when the series before (I think in New Zealand) he was bowling pretty lively pace after a very long time, Waqar had to withdraw from the WC due to injuy (was reported in many newspapers in Pak that he had fought with Imran and was actually playing domestic cricket in Pak), and Miandad/Imran relations were getting strained as Miandad due to some injury was not initially picked for the team, and I think he got angry with that, and even was threatning to drop out.

The way the WC started was also far from a good start. So it really doesnt mattter what Pak, or any other team are doing right now, the result will not depend on what happens now, but whoever somehow gets lucky and gets the combination right in the tournament.

Even last time, SA were probably the marginal favorites, with Aus and Pak right beside them, and Aus won. 1983 and 1987 WCs are also good examples of not counting on what the reputation of the team is, and how they are playing before the tourney.