• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's ankle may never be pain free

Fusion

Global Moderator
Hopefully this won't affect his career too negatively. He's one of those players that brings excitement to the game. We need players like him in cricket.

adharcric

International Coach
Especially as there aren't any off-the-field issues or controversies regarding him, truly a great guy to have in world cricket. We all want him back and at his best.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Surely he knows whats best for him but there is that big concern inside a fan like me which says...... He should concentrate on his batting since he is gifted enough to be a world class batsman. One would love to have a Flintoff who scored big and exciting hundreds in the upper middle order than one who bowled with pain and the risk that it may even deprive us of his batting sooner than it has to.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think that most people would say that recently Flintoff's bowling has been more useful than his batting. Personally, I find his bowling more appealing too as he doesn't do anything really special with the bat often. He's a really versatile bowler though, who can get bounce using his height, and reverse swing too. Still, I think he'll probably lessen his role with the ball as his career continues to lessen injury. By the end of his career, he'll probably be something like a Kallis, more of a batsman who can bowl.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
they are all excuses in case they lose the Ashes with us..

Ashes is ours.. thats the end of it..

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I have got an injury similar to that, I broke my leg about 2 years ago and because my ankle wasnt moving for 2 months solid, the muscles seized up and every few months, I get terrible pain, feeling like all the muscles have snapped.

its not looking good, is it?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Tomm NCCC said:
I have got an injury similar to that, I broke my leg about 2 years ago and because my ankle wasnt moving for 2 months solid, the muscles seized up and every few months, I get terrible pain, feeling like all the muscles have snapped.

its not looking good, is it?
Ouch.

It's no suprise to hear that he might have ankle problems all his career, he's a big lad and when he bowls his front foot is pointing towards fine leg which makes the impact a lot worse.

It would be a great shame if he starts to focus on batting more(which i don't think he will) because he is the most well rounded all rounder in world cricket, he can turn a match with bat and ball which is why he is so exciting. If he eventualy becomes a batsman, we'll only be seeing half the Freddy.

Though intrestingly he still says he veiws himself as a batter who bowls not a bowler who bats.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Even though his injury may never leave him, i think he can still be effective as a bowler & an all-round player, all England have to do is becareful how they use him in the future i.e if he plays a full test series give a break or two in the ODI's that follow.

PY

International Coach
I read in the paper that during his delivery stride, he exerts 8 times his body weight on his front foot (and is the article, should have read it before posting :p).

That's going to cause serious problems for such a big lad!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His run-up and action is far from fluent, and probably wouldn't be recommended one would think. That's the problem I guess.

Hopefully he finishes out his career like he should, because he's a champion of the game that's for sure.

Slow Love™

International Captain
He seems a tough lad. It's almost becoming the lot of the fast bowler these days (at least with a fair amount of experience at top level).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bad news for the great man & for (I'll be presumptuous) all cricket fans, English or not. I love Fred & suspect I'd love him almost as much were he not a son of John Bull; seems a lovely & genuinely unaffected chap.

His delivery action has to be one of the most labour intensive out there, he doesn't generate his pace thru a rapid approach or a fast arm-action; he just seems to smack the front foot down & bowls quickly by a supreme force of will & the contortions of that massive frame of his.