• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball tampering issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just some instances over the last few years (only where they were foung guilty) of some ball tampering. People are quick to put the knife into Darrell Hair over this instance with some even suggesting he is racist.

January 2004

ICC match referee Clive Lloyd found Rahul Dravid guilty of a Level 2 offence and imposed a Level 2 penalty of 50 percent of his match fee for breach of the ICC code of conduct.

The Indian vice-captain was charged under clause 2.10 of the code of conduct, which refers to changing the condition of the ball during the tri-series match against Zimbabwe at the Gabba in Brisbane.

India coach John Wright said, 'He was applying saliva to the ball and what happened was the saliva was coloured with that sweet [he was eating] and he wiped it off because he knew immediately it was only supposed to be saliva or perspiration.'
November 2002

In the only such incident in domestic cricket, the Pakistan Cricket Board fined six cricketers -- Naved Latif, Qaiser Abbas, Yasir Arafat, Sajid Shah, Zahid Saeed and Rao Iftikhar Anjum -- Rs 3,000 each, after they were found guilty of ball-tampering during the 2002-03 Ramadan Cup one-day cricket tournament.

'I occasionally scratched the side of the ball and lifted the seam. Only once did I use an object. When Sussex were playing Hampshire in 1981 the ball was not deviating at all. I got the 12th man to bring out a bottle top and it started to move around a lot,' former Pakistan captain Imran Khan had confessed, after his playing days were over.
November 2002

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar was found guilty of ball-tampering during the first Test against Zimbabwe at Harare. ICC match referee Clive Lloyd said the umpires had reported the matter to him and there was agreement that Shoaib had changed the condition of the ball illegally.
May 2003

Akhtar again caught in the act. This time he was handed a two-match ban for ball-tampering. The 'Rawalpindi Express' was reported to ICC match referee Gundappa Vishwanath after the one-day international against New Zealand in Dambulla. Third umpire Gamini Silva of Sri Lanka noticed him scratching the quarter seam of the ball on television replays and brought it to Vishwanath's attention.
November 2001

Sachin Tendulkar was found guilty of ball-tampering during the Port Elizabeth Test and handed down a suspended one-match sentence and fined 75 percent of his match fee by English match referee Mike Denness.

'I spoke to the two umpires as well and they said they didn't find anything to report. They didn't even warn anyone,' United Cricket Board of South Africa Chief Executive Gerald Majola said about the incident.
July 2000

Waqar Younis became the first player to be suspended for a one-day international by match referee John Reid.

Television images showed Waqar and teammate Azhar Mahmood scratching the ball and lifting the quarter seam in the ODI match against South Africa in Sri Lanka. The former was also fined 50 percent of his match fee, while Azhar was fined 30 percent of his match fee.

September 1996

Pakistan cricket manager Javed Burki confirmed that his bowlers had tampered with the ball during the 1996 Test series against England.
July 1994

Mike Atherton was fined £2,000 by match referee Peter Burge for the 'dirt in the pocket' incident in the Test against South Africa at Lord's. Television footage showed the newly-appointed England captain apparently rubbing something to the ball. Atherton claimed he rubbed dirt from his pocket to aid grip on the ball.

'The dirt in my pocket was used to dry my fingers because it was a hot and humid day. We were trying to get the ball to reverse swing. You need one side of the ball to remain completely dry,' Atherton said then.
Notice a pattern ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, Asians are cheats and everyone else, being upstanding and civilized people, have only the spirit of cricket in their hearts and would never stoop to the level of the savages.

Except that degenerate Atherton.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
There was an NZ tour of Pakistan in the early 90's when Wasim and Waqar were unplayable and clearly tampering. A few of the NZ players walked around the boundary and saw the ball after a boundary and it was clearly tampered with. They said to the umpires that Pakistan had been doing it all series and the umpires responded with "maybe you should do it too". So NZ did exactly that and tried to be as blatant as possible about it to bring the issue to a head but the umpires, match referee and the Pakistan team (obviously) didn't care. Chrs Pringle got the ball to play tricks and an average test bowler ended up with 7/40 odd.
Another story..

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Except that degenerate Atherton.
He's probably a closet Asian.

Why are Asians allowed to play cricket anyway? Hey I know, let's split the ICC and have a league just for Eng/Aus/Nz. Maybe include WI because you don't want to creat a perception of bias.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think it's funny that Pakistan think ball tampering is such a big thing that it degrades that pride of their nation yet their players do it a lot of the time without being repremanded by the selectors and fans.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Conclusion - Michael Artherton a subcontinental Citizen ?
no...poor, gullible atherton was brainwashed by asian cricketers into cheating...obvious conclusion, don't you see...?8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anil said:
no...poor, gullible atherton was brainwashed by asian cricketers into cheating...obvious conclusion, don't you see...?8-)

We're an insidius bunch....we go around corrupting the psyche of upstanding Englishmen.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
Also Surrey is located in the subcontinent. ;) Not to forget another player from the subcontinent named Steve Kirby played for another subcontinent team Gloucestershire.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
I think it's funny that Pakistan think ball tampering is such a big thing that it degrades that pride of their nation yet their players do it a lot of the time without being repremanded by the selectors and fans.
And it is a hypocrisy that when English bowlers used the reverse swing, it was called as an art (remember they were accused of ball tampering as well) and when Pakistani bowlers got the first reverse swing of the series, Umpires followed them like a hawk, couldn't find anything and still accused them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SI ran a story few years ago about SA bowlers tampering ball in a test match vs. Australia in 1993/94 @ Jo'brg.

And here is another story that came out today :-

"Former Australia Test captain and match referee Barry Jarman unveiled a severely tampered ball used by a South Africa side coached by Woolmer against India in a limited-overs game in South Africa in 1997"

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,20239539-23209,00.html

The fact is that Ball Tampering is done everywhere, it's just that the Western Boards/Media are too good at hiding, remember how Waugh/Warne match fixing incident was hidden for years.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Whoa!!! Are you all telling me that non-Asians have been accused (and sometimes proven) to have cheated and had unsavory connections with bookies?? My world is shattered. I no longer know what is right or wrong. :dry:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Where did Freddie learn the art of Reverse Swing ? Lancashire ? No marks for guessing who was providing free reverse-swing lessons @ Lancashire. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.