• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

R.I.P Wasim Raja

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
sad news...very stylish player...could have accomplished more in his career, there was a lot of wasted talent....
Very gifted and had the makings of a world class all rounder. Was a bit too laid back to do full justice to his talent.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What a loss... what a way to die .. RIP. By all accounts a real gentleman just like his brother Rameez.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Sad news :mellow:

High Wycombe was my home ground when I travelled and play cricket a couple of seasons ago. Very pretty ground and good ground to play on.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It really shakes you up when you hear of people younger than yourself dying and not in an accident or any such 'un-natural' way.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
It was in my morning paper today. All too early. :mellow:
Never expected cricket to be in a Norwegian paper? Unless this is another paper I have myself mixed up with...

Anyway RIP, such a shame.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Just read up on him. Seems like someone I would have liked to see playing.
I had the good fortune to see him playing. He was very elegant and had an effortless style of batting. He never appeared to hit the balll too hard like Laxman and had a great gift of timing.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm very sad to hear this, Wasim Hasan Raja was a great talent, a far greater talkent than his brother Rameez, thats a different thing that he didn't do jutice with his talent.

I still have memories of Raja taking on Windies bowlers, WI seems to bring the best out of him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My very first memory of him is dropping a catch (either of Kirti Azad or Madan Lal) in the first ever day night match to be played in India.

It was not an official game but played with lot os aggression from both sides at Delhi's Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium (used mainly for athletics or hockey). India won a lost cause in a fantastic run chase.

Kirti Azad played the match because India were short of players and he was from Delhi and played. He blasted his way into limelight.

Wasim dropped (Madan Lal I think) at wide mid on. Somehow that vision has always remained with me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I had the good fortune to see him playing. He was very elegant and had an effortless style of batting. He never appeared to hit the balll too hard like Laxman and had a great gift of timing.
yep me too...lazy elegance...classy player....never did justice to his talent...