• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your 10 favourite fringe/first class players of the last ten years...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Watson
JJ van der Wath
Tyron Henderson
Andrew Symonds
Andy Bichel
Ryan Ten Doeschate
Deon Kruis
Ali Brown
Hamish Marshall
Kyle Mills

open365

International Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
Andre Adams
Gary Stead
Neil McKenzie
Ed Smith
Andrew Bichel
Ricardo Powell
SS Das
Hasan Raza
Chris Drum (absolute favourite)
Joey Yovich
SS Das!! What a player.

I would say-

1.Mal Loye
2.Stuart Law
3.Glen Chapple
4.Owais Shah
5.Will Jefferson(Why on earth did they drop him?)
6.Richard Dawson
7.Mark Chilton
8.Martin Bicknell
9.Craig Spearman
10.Alex Gidman

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ryan Sidebottom - great hair.
David Hussey - in the same team with a guy who has great hair.
Dave Mohammed - great.
Devon Smith - great technique.
Darren Sammy - could be great... if only his name were Dwayne.
Tino Best - if only he would learn to mind the windows.
Chris Read - great wicketkeeper.
Martin van Jaarsveld

I'll think of another 2 eventually.

open365

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ryan Sidebottom - great hair.
David Hussey - in the same team with a guy who has great hair.
Dave Mohammed - great.
Devon Smith - great technique.
Darren Sammy - could be great... if only his name were Dwayne.
Tino Best - if only he would learn to mind the windows.
Chris Read - great wicketkeeper.
Martin van Jaarsveld

I'll think of another 2 eventually.
Add Kieron Pollard to that list, he looks a very good prospect.

Jungle Jumbo

cricketboy29 said:
Pravanjan Mullick. Always liked his name..:D
Why did he never play a Test? He has an astonishingly good FC record.

Code:
class  mat  inns  no  runs  hs  ave  100  50  ct  st 
First-class   68   108   16   4989   207*   54.22   17   23   48   0

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dinesh Karthick
Dinesh Mongia
Amol Majumdar
Asim Kamal
SCG Mcgill
Pathiv Patel
Nathan Bracken

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think the qualification of 25 Tests is way too many, some of these players being named have reasonable International records.

I would agree with Mal Loye, not because he's a great player but because he's done the only thing that should propel a player up the ladder - score prolifically in First Class Cricket.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dave Mohammed
Jonathan Trott
James Hildreth
Arul Suppiah
Ryan ten Doeschate
Andre Adams
Tyron Henderson
Amjad Khan
Bas Zuiderent
Imraan Khan

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Shahid Nazir
Mohammad Zahid
Pankaj Dharmani
Scott Muller
Chris Schofield
Varun Chopra
Jamshed Ahmed
Omari Banks
Darren Wates
Usman Khawaja

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Why did he never play a Test? He has an astonishingly good FC record.

Code:
class  mat  inns  no  runs  hs  ave  100  50  ct  st 
First-class   68   108   16   4989   207*   54.22   17   23   48   0
yes he does, but it wouldn't have been easy to make India's batting line-up with Tendulkar, Dravid, Azhar, Ganguly, Laxman being around. But he probably may have had a fair shout of being wicket-keeper batsman after Mongia was dropped, because since Dhoni's emergence the likes of Prasad, Dighe, Dasgupta, Patel & Karthik weren't that great.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nathan Bracken (Finally proven his worth with the most outstanding record of any current ODI bowler, deserves another shot in the Test Arena)
Ian Harvey (Never should have been dropped from the ODI Team)
Yasir Arafat (But no, please persist with Sami)
Shane Watson (Extremely hard-worker, needs his body to keep up)
Stuart Clark (Talk of having Gillespie above him, to me, is ludicrous. May not get a shot in the ODI team because of the great fast-bowling unit already in place)

5 will do.

Jungle Jumbo

aussie said:
yes he does, but it wouldn't have been easy to make India's batting line-up with Tendulkar, Dravid, Azhar, Ganguly, Laxman being around. But he probably may have had a fair shout of being wicket-keeper batsman after Mongia was dropped, because since Dhoni's emergence the likes of Prasad, Dighe, Dasgupta, Patel & Karthik weren't that great.
Wicket-keeper? Are you confusing Mullick with Pankaj Dharmani, another prolific batsman, and a keeper? He should have played more internationals looking at his stats, but I seem to recall Pratyush telling me that he wasn't national team material.

ryan563

Cricket Spectator
Nathan Bracken ,Ravi Bopara,James Benning, Shahirar Nafees, Michael Lumb, Michael Yardy, Cameron White, Matthew Wood(Somerset), Zaheer Khan, Nic Pothas

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Wicket-keeper? Are you confusing Mullick with Pankaj Dharmani, another prolific batsman, and a keeper? He should have played more internationals looking at his stats, but I seem to recall Pratyush telling me that he wasn't national team material.
yea its him sorry, well if he has a record like that & couldn't make the Indian team i wonder what the standard of bowling is like is domestic cricket.

Jungle Jumbo

aussie said:
yea its him sorry, well if he has a record like that & couldn't make the Indian team i wonder what the standard of bowling is like is domestic cricket.
Not great TBH, but I would still have thought that anyone who averages 50+ and can keep would be worth a shot, seeing as how poor the Indian keepers have been over the past decade.

Dasa

Jungle Jumbo said:
Not great TBH, but I would still have thought that anyone who averages 50+ and can keep would be worth a shot, seeing as how poor the Indian keepers have been over the past decade.
More like last five years or so...before then, Mongia was pretty much the regular, and he was an excellent 'keeper - particularly since he would be keeping on pitches that were generally more spin-friendly than they are now. As far as I know, Dharmani wasn't the greatest 'keeper around, although he was a far better batsman.