View Poll Results: A split between the ICC and Asia, would you care?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - A split would damage the long term future of cricket

39 73.58%
  • No - We don't need them, and they don't need us

14 26.42%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?

Pinball Champion!

ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?

There has been some "talk" about would there ever be an ICC - Asia split in cricket's future.. While I don't believe this will ever happen, I've been wondering if I would be at all bothered by the potential consequences for cricket..

Not really, I appreciate the difference in the priorities of Asian and non-Asian member countries and personally couldn't care less if they went their seperate ways.. I know English fans are most worried about their Ashes, which they would still be able to play of course, and the Subcontinental teams could play as many ODI tournaments as they wanted.. There could be no accusations of racism/colonialism/elitism, because there would be two seperate cricketing entities governed by seperate groups of people.. I don't believe for one second that teams like the West Indies need Asian teams to survive financially, and I think a certain degree of innovation and forward thinking would protect cash-strapped boards from financial meltdown.. Personally, I'd miss at the most, two players (Dravid and Malinga)

It could even be used as a moneymaking option, with the best team from Asia and the best team from the ICC competing in a kind of "World Series" at the end of the season..

It seems that there is no way that Asia and the rest of the world can continue along the current track, and I think a split would be one way of solving a lot of problems in world cricket..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I would certainly care if there was a split. Frankly, it seems to me to be a case where the Asian block now has more power in the ICC after 100+ years of England holding all the power in international cricket, and you can't deal with that. There's no evidence to suggest the Asian countries are controlling the ICC either. I fail to see exactly why a split would happen.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    For me, the Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else - so a split wouldn't bother me overly. I'm sure many players would appreciate not having to tour the subcontinent, as it's no secret that they don't enjoy it.

Might even be good for cricket in the long run - of course, in an ideal world, the ICC wouldn't be so shambolically incompetent, but until that happens, maybe a split might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    For me, the Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else - so a split wouldn't bother me overly. I'm sure many players would appreciate not having to tour the subcontinent, as it's no secret that they don't enjoy it.

Might even be good for cricket in the long run - of course, in an ideal world, the ICC wouldn't be so shambolically incompetent, but until that happens, maybe a split might help.
    A large chunk of the money (which comes from the subcontinent) that keeps the game viable internationally would be gone for one thing. What would it actually help, other than allowing players who dislike the subcontinent not being forced to tour there?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Neil and I have just discussed the issue. The only problems I can see are that we wouldn't have enough cricket for the boards to function as they are doing now, and for there to be enough cash in domestic cricket. Without Asia we would essentially be left with five teams (England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand). The four countries named first would only really be able to play one series of five Tests per summer, with the exception of maybe a short New Zealand tour. This would lead to less cash coming in, and as a result there might still be more ODIs played outside of Asia. But in general, I wouldn't really care that much - there are enough emerging nations in Asia for there to be a substantially high amount of cricket to be played (Bangladesh to be a strong side in 10 years time, likes of Nepal, Afghanistan, Gulf States improving all the time).

EDIT: I voted No. We don't need them, but I think they (India in particular) need us to bring in the crowds.

I'm finding all this talk of 'us vs them' quite disconcerting...

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    EDIT: I voted No. We don't need them, but I think they (India in particular) need us to bring in the crowds.
    I think the point to consider is that each and every cricket fan wants to see cricket of the highest order, which is at present international cricket. Cricket boards might engage in politics, but at the end of the day the fan on the street would still prefer to see exchanges at the highest level rather than groupism over petty issues.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahto
    I think the point to consider is that each and every cricket fan wants to see cricket of the highest order, which is at present international cricket. Cricket boards might engage in politics, but at the end of the day the fan on the street would still prefer to see exchanges at the highest level rather than groupism over petty issues.
    These exchanges at the highest level are rapidly becoming devalued because the ICC organises too many series in the first place, and then the Asian nations play extended ODI series, not to mention other series abroad, which they don't have to play. A split would solve both problems - Asia gets its ODIs but doesn't have to play as many Tests, the rest of the world doesn't have to play nearly as many ODIs.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Do they need each other? Probably not. Though, as an Indian fan, I do love playing Australia. I wouldn't really care about SA/NZ.......I don't think they much care about coming over anyway. England and Australia are great to play though, I would be sad if we had to stop playing them.

I think that WI might actually join the Asian bloc, but who knows? Both sides would be poorer for it, because neither side would make enough money to justify their current spending. The non-Asian bloc would still have the Ashes, so a lot of English fans especially probably wouldn't care...so I don't know how much attendance would suffer.

As for the players, you would be suprised how much of their endorsement money comes from the subcontinent, so most stars do very much want to tour there, even though they may hate it.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 23-08-2006 at 05:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    YOU started it.

(sorry, the thought processes of eight-year-olds are catching on...)
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    It's nothing new. It's a concept visible in the behaviour of the BCCI for one, and in many fans on this forum, as well as statements by former cricketers and so on. Martin Crowe and Wasim Akram recently spring to mind, with Crowe saying that the asian nations were seeking to control world cricket, while Wasim said that the ICC was biased towards whites.

Didn't you yourself suggest that if Inzy got banned for the ball tampering/refusing to play thing there might be a split with the Asian bloc going against the ICC? If this was someone else, I apologise in advance.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    It's nothing new. It's a concept visible in the behaviour of the BCCI for one, and in many fans on this forum, as well as statements by former cricketers and so on. Martin Crowe and Wasim Akram recently spring to mind, with Crowe saying that the asian nations were seeking to control world cricket, while Wasim said that the ICC was biased towards whites.

Didn't you yourself suggest that if Inzy got banned for the ball tampering/refusing to play thing there might be a split with the Asian bloc going against the ICC? If this was someone else, I apologise in advance.
    Yeah I said it might happen, but I don't support it. What did the BCCI say/do? I'm not sure they're so concerned with this 'us vs them' scenario - they seem to care only about getting as much money as they can.

Guys, forget about race, nationality and asia.

Money talks. There is much less money for everyone if there is a split. Therefore, they won't be a split. Even in the highly unlikely scenario that Asia splits, there will still be plenty of bilateral series scheduled they can all make money. I highly doubt that the ECB is going to deprive the next generation of English fans the chance to call someone a cheater.

India have backed ICC in this matter: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indi...ry/257473.html

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Guys, forget about race, nationality and asia.

Money talks. There is much less money for everyone if there is a split. Therefore, they won't be a split. Even in the highly unlikely scenario that Asia splits, there will still be plenty of bilateral series scheduled they can all make money. I highly doubt that the ECB is going to deprive the next generation of English fans the chance to call someone a cheater.
    First Hair. Now you're blaming the ECB too for this ?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information