• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?

A split between the ICC and Asia, would you care?

• Yes - A split would damage the long term future of cricket

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • No - We don't need them, and they don't need us

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
There has been some "talk" about would there ever be an ICC - Asia split in cricket's future.. While I don't believe this will ever happen, I've been wondering if I would be at all bothered by the potential consequences for cricket..

Not really, I appreciate the difference in the priorities of Asian and non-Asian member countries and personally couldn't care less if they went their seperate ways.. I know English fans are most worried about their Ashes, which they would still be able to play of course, and the Subcontinental teams could play as many ODI tournaments as they wanted.. There could be no accusations of racism/colonialism/elitism, because there would be two seperate cricketing entities governed by seperate groups of people.. I don't believe for one second that teams like the West Indies need Asian teams to survive financially, and I think a certain degree of innovation and forward thinking would protect cash-strapped boards from financial meltdown.. Personally, I'd miss at the most, two players (Dravid and Malinga)

It could even be used as a moneymaking option, with the best team from Asia and the best team from the ICC competing in a kind of "World Series" at the end of the season..

It seems that there is no way that Asia and the rest of the world can continue along the current track, and I think a split would be one way of solving a lot of problems in world cricket..

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I would certainly care if there was a split. Frankly, it seems to me to be a case where the Asian block now has more power in the ICC after 100+ years of England holding all the power in international cricket, and you can't deal with that. There's no evidence to suggest the Asian countries are controlling the ICC either. I fail to see exactly why a split would happen.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
For me, the Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else - so a split wouldn't bother me overly. I'm sure many players would appreciate not having to tour the subcontinent, as it's no secret that they don't enjoy it.

Might even be good for cricket in the long run - of course, in an ideal world, the ICC wouldn't be so shambolically incompetent, but until that happens, maybe a split might help.

Dasa

Barney Rubble said:
For me, the Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else - so a split wouldn't bother me overly. I'm sure many players would appreciate not having to tour the subcontinent, as it's no secret that they don't enjoy it.

Might even be good for cricket in the long run - of course, in an ideal world, the ICC wouldn't be so shambolically incompetent, but until that happens, maybe a split might help.
A large chunk of the money (which comes from the subcontinent) that keeps the game viable internationally would be gone for one thing. What would it actually help, other than allowing players who dislike the subcontinent not being forced to tour there?

Jungle Jumbo

Neil and I have just discussed the issue. The only problems I can see are that we wouldn't have enough cricket for the boards to function as they are doing now, and for there to be enough cash in domestic cricket. Without Asia we would essentially be left with five teams (England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand). The four countries named first would only really be able to play one series of five Tests per summer, with the exception of maybe a short New Zealand tour. This would lead to less cash coming in, and as a result there might still be more ODIs played outside of Asia. But in general, I wouldn't really care that much - there are enough emerging nations in Asia for there to be a substantially high amount of cricket to be played (Bangladesh to be a strong side in 10 years time, likes of Nepal, Afghanistan, Gulf States improving all the time).

EDIT: I voted No. We don't need them, but I think they (India in particular) need us to bring in the crowds.

Yahto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Jungle Jumbo said:
EDIT: I voted No. We don't need them, but I think they (India in particular) need us to bring in the crowds.
I think the point to consider is that each and every cricket fan wants to see cricket of the highest order, which is at present international cricket. Cricket boards might engage in politics, but at the end of the day the fan on the street would still prefer to see exchanges at the highest level rather than groupism over petty issues.

Jungle Jumbo

Yahto said:
I think the point to consider is that each and every cricket fan wants to see cricket of the highest order, which is at present international cricket. Cricket boards might engage in politics, but at the end of the day the fan on the street would still prefer to see exchanges at the highest level rather than groupism over petty issues.
These exchanges at the highest level are rapidly becoming devalued because the ICC organises too many series in the first place, and then the Asian nations play extended ODI series, not to mention other series abroad, which they don't have to play. A split would solve both problems - Asia gets its ODIs but doesn't have to play as many Tests, the rest of the world doesn't have to play nearly as many ODIs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Do they need each other? Probably not. Though, as an Indian fan, I do love playing Australia. I wouldn't really care about SA/NZ.......I don't think they much care about coming over anyway. England and Australia are great to play though, I would be sad if we had to stop playing them.

I think that WI might actually join the Asian bloc, but who knows? Both sides would be poorer for it, because neither side would make enough money to justify their current spending. The non-Asian bloc would still have the Ashes, so a lot of English fans especially probably wouldn't care...so I don't know how much attendance would suffer.

As for the players, you would be suprised how much of their endorsement money comes from the subcontinent, so most stars do very much want to tour there, even though they may hate it.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
I'm finding all this talk of 'us vs them' quite disconcerting...
It's nothing new. It's a concept visible in the behaviour of the BCCI for one, and in many fans on this forum, as well as statements by former cricketers and so on. Martin Crowe and Wasim Akram recently spring to mind, with Crowe saying that the asian nations were seeking to control world cricket, while Wasim said that the ICC was biased towards whites.

Didn't you yourself suggest that if Inzy got banned for the ball tampering/refusing to play thing there might be a split with the Asian bloc going against the ICC? If this was someone else, I apologise in advance.

Dasa

FaaipDeOiad said:
It's nothing new. It's a concept visible in the behaviour of the BCCI for one, and in many fans on this forum, as well as statements by former cricketers and so on. Martin Crowe and Wasim Akram recently spring to mind, with Crowe saying that the asian nations were seeking to control world cricket, while Wasim said that the ICC was biased towards whites.

Didn't you yourself suggest that if Inzy got banned for the ball tampering/refusing to play thing there might be a split with the Asian bloc going against the ICC? If this was someone else, I apologise in advance.
Yeah I said it might happen, but I don't support it. What did the BCCI say/do? I'm not sure they're so concerned with this 'us vs them' scenario - they seem to care only about getting as much money as they can.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:

Guys, forget about race, nationality and asia.

Money talks. There is much less money for everyone if there is a split. Therefore, they won't be a split. Even in the highly unlikely scenario that Asia splits, there will still be plenty of bilateral series scheduled they can all make money. I highly doubt that the ECB is going to deprive the next generation of English fans the chance to call someone a cheater.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:

India have backed ICC in this matter: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/257473.html

Yahto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
silentstriker said:
Guys, forget about race, nationality and asia.

Money talks. There is much less money for everyone if there is a split. Therefore, they won't be a split. Even in the highly unlikely scenario that Asia splits, there will still be plenty of bilateral series scheduled they can all make money. I highly doubt that the ECB is going to deprive the next generation of English fans the chance to call someone a cheater.
First Hair. Now you're blaming the ECB too for this ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yahto said:
First Hair. Now you're blaming the ECB too for this ?

Um, thats a joke, I have lots of respect for ECB and the English game. I can only wish the BCCI acted more like the ECB.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it would damage the longterm growth of the game so I voted that I would be bothered if it happened.

However, I can see the attraction of such a thing happening.

BTW, there is no way that the WI would be part of the Asian bloc if such a thing happened. If you look at the number of British tourists that visit the WI during tours, it is far too big a revenue to lose. In fact an increased number of series against the English would be economically favourable to them.

Also, a tour to England is a very profitable endevour for touring teams and the only revenue opporunities during the S. Hemesphere winter for boards.

Also, I doubt SA would be part of an Asian bloc either. Timezones for one thing, the fact that WI, Eng and Aus are the most popular teams in SA, the fact that SA are not a team brought up in conditions favourable to sub-continental cricket ec.

In fact, of the non-Asian team I think it is most likely that Australia join them

I think either bloc would be able to survive and purhaps even flourish as they get to see more of the cricket they want against teams they want but I hope it does not happen.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Im sure it wont happen but I think it would be a complete disaster. The number of teams England would be playing would fall dramaticly which would make cricket far less varied and i reallly enjoy watching the asian teams playing. After the ashes i most enjoy the series envolving India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
I think it would damage the longterm growth of the game so I voted that I would be bothered if it happened.

However, I can see the attraction of such a thing happening.

BTW, there is no way that the WI would be part of the Asian bloc if such a thing happened. If you look at the number of British tourists that visit the WI during tours, it is far too big a revenue to lose. In fact an increased number of series against the English would be economically favourable to them.

Also, a tour to England is a very profitable endevour for touring teams and the only revenue opporunities during the S. Hemesphere winter for boards.

Also, I doubt SA would be part of an Asian bloc either. Timezones for one thing, the fact that WI, Eng and Aus are the most popular teams in SA, the fact that SA are not a team brought up in conditions favourable to sub-continental cricket ec.

In fact, of the non-Asian team I think it is most likely that Australia join them

I think either bloc would be able to survive and purhaps even flourish as they get to see more of the cricket they want against teams they want but I hope it does not happen.

If it was the Asian bloc + Australia, I would be extremely happy with the situation. Here are the countries I care about playing:

Australia
England
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
West Indies

It wouldn't really bother me if we stopped playing NZ, SA, Bang and Zimbabwe. Although its always nice to have more varied cricket, with different countries (assuming its competitive).

As long as India playes those five countries, I couldn't care less if they are part of ICC or not. Like I said, even if there is a split, there will always be bilateral matches between India and England & Australia. There is just too much money at stake otherwise. Plus those three countries make the most money from cricket (and teams make the most touring there), so I doubt any of them will want to stop.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting opinions, cheers, I know me and Neil found it a very attractive alternative to the status quo, which really is a sad state of affairs..