• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Must Watch Clip: Darrell's Only Interest of the Ball During Game

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
Fusion - I must say that I was only talking about the Video posted in the opening post of this thread (which I couldn't watch @ work during the day) and I standby what I said.
Fingers crossed eh !!!!
Close in getting another pathetic example for life time to win a thread or two ..........

Yahto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
FRAZ said:
Whats that thing called "benefit of the doubt ...
You mean that thing which you fail to extend to Hair ? That thing which you seem to think only the privilege of the Pakistani camp ?

Or Spirit of the game
Or Acting and behaving like a gentleman
Well said. If only the Pakistani officials had read this in time.

FRAZ

International Captain
Yahto said:
You mean that thing which you fail to extend to Hair ? That thing which you seem to think only the privilege of the Pakistani camp ?

Well said. If only the Pakistani officials had read this in time.
Its amazing that a person from sub continent saying this ... Anyways you forgot to mention the last line please!!!!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Cricket fundamentalists 8-)

As I said on the official thread, Afridi has done more to "tarnish the nation" of Pakistan than Hair could ever dream of doing, yet still he plays and is adored.

Double standards, hypocrisy.

Find something serious and important to get angry and passionate about ffs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
open365 said:
Hair's actions were perfectly within the laws of cricket, i don't know how many times i will have to repeat this before anyone takes note.

Explain to me, how is Darrel hair biased against Pakistan? And in which instances has he not acted withing the laws of cricket?

And as people keep pointing out, if you take ball tampering as being a massive stain on the pride of your nation, why do you still adore and select Shoib Akthar? Who was proven to tamper with the ball?

As far as i can see, Darrel Hair has done nothing wrong.
He acted without common sense. That is the biggest blur an umpire can get, AFAIC. If he wasn't satisfied with the ball inspite of all the hawk like watching and he didn't have conclusive proof of any of the Pakistan players tampering with the ball inspite of the watching, he should have at least first warned Inzy and Pakistan that he had such suspicions and then, if he still wasn't satisfied, he could have slapped them with the penalty. I don't care what the laws say, but common sense has to prevail and the fact that Hair doesn't seem to use it (or have it, as the case may be) I think he should be shown the door from the panel as soon as possible.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
There's a reason why we have protocols in place. Inzy had no business to not come out to play whether or not he had tampered the ball. No matter who is right or wrong, the one thing that cannot be ignored is that Hair acted according to protocols while the Pakistan camp decided they were above it.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
open365 said:
I don't believe you can act irresonsable within the laws of the game.
Obviously, you're not an Indian. Our politicians, if anything, have mastered the art of being corrupt without doing anything blatantly illegal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pug said:
There's a reason why we have protocols in place. Inzy had no business to not come out to play whether or not he had tampered the ball. No matter who is right or wrong, the one thing that cannot be ignored is that Hair acted according to protocols while the Pakistan camp decided they were above it.
Look, Pakistan handled this horribly badly. But doesn't mean what Hair did was right. Sometimes not using common sense is a crime too, and that is very much the case here. Umpires are there to ensure smooth conduct of the game so that the viewers get their money's worth, they are not there to spoil the show based on their suspicions which may or may not have any real ground to it. I once talked to Venkataraghavan (he lives in Chennai) and he said that the way he saw it was that the umpires main job was to make sure the game was played in the right spirit and that they should be peace makers when things got out of control, not trouble makers, which is what Hair was. Was it so difficult for him to warn Inzy a few overs before of his suspicion? That is what most umpires would do when there is no concrete proof.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
He acted without common sense. That is the biggest blur an umpire can get, AFAIC. If he wasn't satisfied with the ball inspite of all the hawk like watching and he didn't have conclusive proof of any of the Pakistan players tampering with the ball inspite of the watching, he should have at least first warned Inzy and Pakistan that he had such suspicions and then, if he still wasn't satisfied, he could have slapped them with the penalty. I don't care what the laws say, but common sense has to prevail and the fact that Hair doesn't seem to use it (or have it, as the case may be) I think he should be shown the door from the panel as soon as possible.
Shouldn't there be a chance for both parties to state their cases?

After that, there are two possible ways in which hair might be incriminated

1. He acted stupidly.
2. He acted with bias.

But let's not forget the possibility that Hair might actually have something in his claims. Lets wait for the hearing this saturday.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FRAZ said:
Well said
cheers ..
The insinuations of this post are far more presumtious, biased and racist than anything that Umpire Hair did on Sunday. I wonder if he had said his name was Saeed...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pug said:
Shouldn't there be a chance for both parties to state their cases?

After that, there are two possible ways in which hair might be incriminated

1. He acted stupidly.
2. He acted with bias.

But let's not forget the possibility that Hair might actually have something in his claims. Lets wait for the hearing this saturday.
That is my point. If he did have solid evidence, he could have at least shown it to Pakistan when asked. And even if he did have solid evidence, isn't it true that he could have handled the affair better?

And regarding ur first point, that is why I think the law needs to be amended so that such things can be discussed and decided upon in the referee's room after the day's play instead of at the heat of the battle.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Look, Pakistan handled this horribly badly. But doesn't mean what Hair did was right. Sometimes not using common sense is a crime too, and that is very much the case here. Umpires are there to ensure smooth conduct of the game so that the viewers get their money's worth, they are not there to spoil the show based on their suspicions which may or may not have any real ground to it. I once talked to Venkataraghavan (he lives in Chennai) and he said that the way he saw it was that the umpires main job was to make sure the game was played in the right spirit and that they should be peace makers when things got out of control, not trouble makers, which is what Hair was. Was it so difficult for him to warn Inzy a few overs before of his suspicion? That is what most umpires would do when there is no concrete proof.
Well, about Hair's accusation of ball tampering, I have nothing to say until the ICC hearing, since all the facts are not in place before me. For one of the very few times, I really agree with the BCCI stance.

As to the remainder of the drama, I really feel Inzy was setting a despicable precedent by not coming out to play. What Hair did was strong, but if it goes on to prevent captains from just walking out when unhappy with umpire decisions in the future, well then, ok.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pug said:
Well, about Hair's accusation of ball tampering, I have nothing to say until the ICC hearing, since all the facts are not in place before me. For one of the very few times, I really agree with the BCCI stance.

As to the remainder of the drama, I really feel Inzy was setting a despicable precedent by not coming out to play. What Hair did was strong, but if it goes on to prevent captains from just walking out when unhappy with umpire decisions in the future, well then, ok.
I never said what Inzy did was right, but I do think teams should be able to protest against umpires. I wouldn't have minded if Inzy walked right off but him doing it after some time and then again coming out to play, that is why I think it was all horrible. You either walk right off to show your disgust or you keep playing under protest (wear black badgets if u want to get fancy) but being neither here nor there wasn't helping anyone.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
And regarding ur first point, that is why I think the law needs to be amended so that such things can be discussed and decided upon in the referee's room after the day's play instead of at the heat of the battle.
That's all very good in theory, but what happens if a team is found guilty of ball tampering and won the match? Will you just declare the other team as winners? What if, only one bowler was guilty of it and the team could have won without the said bowler's contributions??

It's a complex case and just as decisions to the tune of whether a batsman is out or not or whether the fielder touched the boundary rope need to be decided on field, so does this. The reason I say this is because it's not simply a case of misconduct and any decision can have a great bearing on the result of the game

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I never said what Inzy did was right, but I do think teams should be able to protest against umpires. I wouldn't have minded if Inzy walked right off but him doing it after some time and then again coming out to play, that is why I think it was all horrible. You either walk right off to show your disgust or you keep playing under protest (wear black badgets if u want to get fancy) but being neither here nor there wasn't helping anyone.
Well.

Really depends on whether you want to retain the umpires status as 'almighty' on the cricket field or bring in various checks and balances. It's not really an issue that interests me. I'm happy with either case, but as matters stand...

sangita

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
hi every body

pug said:
That's all very good in theory, but what happens if a team is found guilty of ball tampering and won the match? Will you just declare the other team as winners? What if, only one bowler was guilty of it and the team could have won without the said bowler's contributions?? hi every body

It's a complex case and just as decisions to the tune of whether a batsman is out or not or whether the fielder touched the boundary rope need to be decided on field, so does this. The reason I say this is because it's not simply a case of misconduct and any decision can have a great Agarkar's contribution
I witnessed a very exciting cricket match lasts Sunday. It was between India and Australia. Our skipper won the toss and elected to bat. Cheers rent the welkin as ours opening pair issued out of the pavilion and walked into the field. The first two overs went maiden. Then the pairs on the pitch opened their shoulders the score bord registered 35 runs in 30 minus. Good going, to be sure, and a pretty brisk business. Now smart did a little bit of thinking. Brett lee came bowling change. A slow googly bowler swung into action and started causing trouble. Fast crumbled our wicket, the sticks falling they bales flying. Four of fine batmen' [Sachin, David, gangly,] returned to the pavilion inside three over we were 64-for4.but seven-wicket partnership gelds bravely on. They scored 102 runs when about200 scored was imposable. Our first inning total rested at 204. Smartly began very confidently, they piled161 for no loss in the twinkling of an eye. Our bowler [agarkar] proved costly. He gave 15 runs in his first two over. What a giver was he! But he was taken off, and brought again from other end this was the thing to-do. With his first delivery, he clean-bowled smart star batman barrio! The next pointing was out for a duck. Having been caught behind the wicket. The third man gave Agarkar the much coveted hat trick the boarded now showed175-5 our heart leaped up then there was abreact for tea /

The seventh man from smart manifested himself to be a lard hitter. He sent the first ball up for sixscored was 185 5 the scored suddenly shot for197-9 smart was getting worthy of hits name now2 there were just 10 minutes to time. The blower had bowled great one handed each catch! The catcher he was Sachin we won by 7 runs Agarkar was declarer man of match. Agarkar was with the figure of 10 -2-34-6.

Ajit Agarkar, the fast bowler from Mumbai made on of the most promising starts in one day cricket and was touted as the future Kapil Dev and Dennis Lillee. But suddenly something went wrong and now he finds himself shuttling in and out of the Indian cricket team. What went wrong?

Ajit Agarkar - The slim figure from Mumbai who hardly looked his part as a fast bowler and yet surprised many with his brisk if not fearful brand of pace bowling. He got off to the fairytale start we all know about. The most enduring memories of his period of rise 1998-2000 were that of taking 4 wickets against New Zealand in Sharjah in 1998 with his late outswingers bowled at a brisk pace which surprised the black caps that day when he rocked them. He bowled quick outswingers, which made the batsmen try to attempt extravagant cover drives only to find they had been sucked into following a late outswinger and more often than not nicking 'em to the slips. Then he would come on in his 2nd and 3rd spells and bowl reverse swingers which would bamboozle batsmen already set and swing the match in India's favour (the best examples of this were Stephen Fleming in the same match I talked about earlier and his spell against Sri Lanka at the Premadasa in 1997 when Saurav and Sachin had a 250 run partnership and India made something like 305-310 runs and ended up winning by a narrow margin). I vividly remember that he bowled particularly well against left-handers and Jayasuriya was his bunny in those days. These feats helped him get to the record and suddenly he was the future 'Dennis Lillee' of India and comparisons with the past greats like Kapil Dev and Ian Botham made the rounds in every newspaper one picked up.

Then started the horror story. Suddenly he had a spate of injuries starting with the one on his toe and after coming back his action also changed considerably (His fans would know that he had an angled run up and used to run in quicker than he does now and his ****ing of the wrists was more prominent as compared to now).

All of a sudden he could not bowl his sharp outswingers and seemed like a bowler who just landed the bowl in the pitch expecting the pitch to do the rest. He was always a seam bowler and his USP lied in his swing bowling at a fairly quick pace. There were plenty of "coaches" telling him to concentrate on line and length and forget pace. This is one of the most absurd ideas ever given to him. (If all that was required of him was to bowl line and length then we might as well have Ganguly doing it.) What was required was that he should have continued to bowl his outswingers and bowl them quick; he would have continued with his rich haul of wickets. Instead we have him running to the wicket in a lazy manner trying to just put the ball in the right place rather than making a hard effort in trying to bowl quickly and he seems lost in whatever he does.

The solution lies in telling him that for 5 matches he should be told to bowl quick and rediscover his old brand of quick swing bowling and given the freedom to try his best, just like Sachin needs to be told to bat with gay abandon as he used to in his golden days 1994-2000.
Reader's Comments
Have faithWritten by kunal.nanda on August 29, 2004 All ganguly needs to do is have faith in him and he will definitely prove his worth. The poor guy needs a more consistent time in the middle and he will definitely come back to his best. Instead of wasting time on Zaheer and Nehra who keep getting injured every second game, why not give people like agarkar more opportunity to play. - Ahjaz khan
Is Agarkar on a decline?Written by RCP1019 on August 26, 2004 Good article. I think he is one of our best fast bowlers, though costly especially for ODI format. He needs to be encouraged as he also has a better batting potential. Mind you he is only 27 years old still and has already taken 203 wickets in ODI. There is no point in expecting a Kapil Dev like performer. Perhaps that is

Back

Ajit Agarkar put up an allrounder show
Mumbai: Reigning champions Mumbai conceded first innings lead to Madhya Pradesh and then fought back on the third and penultimate day of their Ranji Trophy Elite Division group A match here on Thursday.The hosts were shot out for 233 in their first innings in reply to the visitors’ 255.Mumbai then struck back with four quick blows in MP’s second innings to leave them tottering at 13 for four. The visitors were 99 for five at stumps.Debutant seamer Santosh Shinde struck in successive balls in his very first over to leave MP gasping at two for one, then Ajit Agarkar followed suit to strike two more blows and reduced the visitors to 13 for four by the seventh over.For Madhya Pradesh, experienced campaigner Devendra Bundela remained unbeaten at close with a patient 59. Along with Nikhil Patwardhan, Bundela pulled MP out of the hole with a 73-run stand.Debutant medium pacer Sunil Dholpure picked up five wickets for 68, including the wicket of Agarkar, while paceman Sanjay Pandey claimed three for 68. Agarkar ran out of partners before becoming the last batsman to be out for a well-made 84. In Bangalore, Gujarat secured a 58-run first innings lead over Karnataka on the penultimate day of an Elite Division group A match at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium on Thursday.SUMMARISED SCORESIn Amritsar: Punjab 422. Assam 213 (S. Singh 59 n.o. G. Singh 6/41, N. Singh 4/39) & 146/7 (S. Saravanan 63 n.o.; G. Singh 3/25)In Bangalore: Gujarat 330 & 124/2 (Christian 57, Modi 44). Karnataka 272 (Joshi 54,
Back

Ajit Agarkar put up an allround show
Mumbai:In Ba
Seamer Ajit Agarkar was on Thursday recalled to the Indian team for the Champions Trophy one-day tournament in England after left-armer Zaheer Khan was declared unfit with a leg injury. Test wicket keeper Parthiv Patel was axed to make way for uncapped India ‘A’ gloveman Dinesh Karthik in the 14-man squad for the International Cricket Council’s 12-nation tournament to be played from September 10 to 25. Zaheer and Patel are the only omissions from the Asia Cup squad, which lost to hosts Sri Lanka in the final on Sunday. It was the 10th defeat in 13 one-day finals for Sourav Ganguly’s men in the last four years. Zaheer, dogged by hamstring injuries over the past year, was laid low again during the Asia Cup and hobbled his way in the last two matches. “Zaheer needs time to recover and the selectors wanted to rest him ahead of a busy home season that includes Tests against Australia and South Africa,” said cricket board secretary Karunakaran Nair. Agarkar fought his way back with a string of good performances for Middlesex in English county cricket, including a 5-81 against Gloucestershire at Lord’s on Wednesday. Patel, 19, was discarded after managing just 132 runs from 14 one-dayers, but remains the number one choice of the selectors for Test matches. “Parthiv is a very talented cricketer with a lot of promise and should be an automatic choice for Tests,” said chief selector Syed Kirmani, himself a former Test wicket keeper. “But he is not suited for one-dayers. We needed someone who will be effective with the bat.” Karthik, a dashing 19-year-old batsman-keeper, is currently touring Zimbabwe with the India ‘A’ side and scored 96 and 52 in the first two matches there. Left-handed Rohan Gavaskar, son of legendary Indian opener Sunil Gavaskar, will be added to the squad for two one-day tournaments prior to the Champions Trophy. India play world champions Australia and Pakistan in a one-off series in the Netherlands from August 21 to 28 and then take on England in three matches between September 1-5. India’s Champions Trophy squad: Sourav Ganguly (capt), Rahul Dravid (vice-capt), Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Venkatsai Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Dinesh Karthik (wicket-keeper), Ajit Agarkar, Irfan Pathan, Laxmipathy Balaji, Ashish Nehra, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh. Rohan Gavaskar will be added to squad for earlier matches in the Netherlands and England. AfpHome | Sport Gupta | December 26, 2004 18:28 ISTThe wicket of Bangladesh opener Nafis Iqbal in the second one-day international at Dhaka on Sunday gave Ajit Agarkar a world record.This was Agarkar's 200th wicket in the shorter version of the game. Having already aggregated 1,049 runs before this match, Agarkar joined the exclusive band of cricketers with the all-round double of 1,000 runs and 200 wickets. Agarkar was playing his 133rd match and he is now the quickest in terms of least number of matches taken to complete this all-round double. South African Shaun Pollock, who accomplished this feat in his 138th match, held the previous record.Kapil Dev, the only other Indian in this list, was the first player to do so. Pakistan's Wasim Akram remains the youngest at 26 years, 257 days, followed by Agarkar at 27 years, 22 days.The accompanying table gives details of all-rounders with 1,000 runs and 200 wickets in ODIs:Mts All-rounder For Reached on
133 Ajit Agarkar Ind V Bangladesh, Dhaka, 26-12-2004
138 Shaun Pollock SA V India, Centurion, 10-10-2001
143 Wasim Akram Pak V South Africa, East London, 15-02-1993
162 Heath Streak Zim V England, Nottingham,26-06-2003
164 Chaminda Vaas SL v New Zealand, Colombo SSC,31-07-2001
166 Kapil Dev Ind V West Indies, Sharjah, 22-10-1991
191 Shane Warne Aus V England, Melbourne, 15-12-2002
235 Sanath Jayasuriya SL v Pakistan,Sharjah,20-04-2001
244 Chris Harris NZ v West Indies, Lord's,10-07-2004
Agarkar also became the quickest among Indians to take 200 wickets. Agarkar accomplished the feat in only 133 matches -- 14 lesser than Anil Kumble and Javagal Srinath, who previously held the record for India. In all ODIs, Agarkar is joint fifth fastest with Australia's Glenn McGrath and after Pakistan's Saqlain Mushtaq (104), South Africa's Allan Donald (117), Pakistan's Waqar Younis (118) and Australia's Shane Warne (125).Indian bowlers with 200 ODI wickets:Bowler Mts Balls Runs Wkts Ave Best SR Rpo 5W Mts for 200 wkts
Anil Kumble 259 13817 9854 321 30.70 6/12 43.04 4.28 2 147
J Srinath 229 11935 8847 315 28.09 5/23 37.89 4.45 3 147
Kapil Dev 225 11202 6945 253 27.45 5/43 44.28 3.72 1 166
Ajit Agarkar 133 6607 5621 201 27.96 6/42 32.87 3.11 1 133
India's tour of Bangladesh: The Complete Coverage Article Tools

During the break in hostilities between India and Australia, Ajit Agarkar went back to his roots and turned out for Tata Sports Club in the Times Shield cricket tournament. The Mumbai medium-pacer believes in being prepared when opportunity arises. Irfan Pathan's side strain has presented him the ideal chance of returning to action in the ongoing series.Since the ICC Champions Trophy in England, India's paceman are in forced rotation because of injuries, as a result of which none of them has been able to cement their places in the side. Agarkar is one of them, still looking forward to play his first Test since the tour of Pakistan in April.Senior Correspondent Ashish Magotra caught up with the wiry Mumbai medium pacer to find out about his inconsistencies, strengths and weaknesses.What does the word 'competition' mean to you?That's what probably pushes you to perform at the highest level possible. It's all about winning at the end of the day. Of course, there are people who say that winning and losing doesn't matter, but I think you play to win; that's what your aim should be.Personally, the satisfaction is more when you perform against a good team or player. Sometimes there is a bit of gamesmanship that goes on, but you have to rise above it all. Whether you are playing for your club or country, you want to be competitive and you want to be known as a competitor.People have described you as an enigma; a player who on one day can destroy the opposition, but inexplicably looks out of rhythm the next day. What is your answer to such criticism?It is their opinion, really. There are going to be days when it just doesn't work. And there will be days when everything seems to be perfect. Even the great players go through these phases. As long as I can come up with the goods, more often then not, I am happy.Obviously, there will be people who say that I lack that consistency. On the other hand, there will be people who say that I am consistent enough. Every time I am out on the field I give my 100 per cent, whether it is for my club, Tata's, or the country. You start playing cricket because you love it and not because of any other reason; that's always been the case so far.Your spell of 6 for 41 in Australia helped India win the Test in Adelaide. Would you consider that your best spell ever?Yes, it has to be. That's the only five-for I have in Test cricket… and to win the match. That probably keeps it in the mind. If we had lost the match then probably it would not have been my best spell. I got a few wickets in Melbourne and that was one of the days when everything seemed to be going right for me. You don't do anything different, but it is just that sometimes things work for you. The way nicks were going to hand; we had some plans for some batters and they worked.You were fastest to fifty wickets in One-Day Internationals, but after that things have not really gone your way. Are you disappointed with the progress you have made?I wouldn't say disappointed. Everyone wants to perform at a higher level than they currently are. But it doesn't always happen that way. If you are satisfied then you are in trouble. Fast bowling in India is not easy. There were a few injuries along the way; there were a few losses of form and some other bowler came and capitalized. When I came into the team, I did the same. I think it's a circle and I am fairly happy with the way I have gone about things. I probably would have liked to pick up some more Test wickets for sure. But that's the way it goes. Unfortunately, someone else was picked at that time or I wasn't in good form, or in the initial years we were playing three spinners and [Javagal] Srinath was the lone seamer in the side. Now, probably, that doesn't give you the best picture, but I'll be 27 in a month's time and, hopefully, I have a fairly long way to go.What do you feels are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?For sure, my strength is that I always try hard and never give up till the last ball is bowled. Weaknesses, my wife Probably, people find a lot of them; so, maybe, you should ask them. Personally, though, I would like to be more consistent; try to minimize the bad days and get up every morning and put the ball in the right areas and feel the same as you did on a good day.Injuries and you have been synonymous. Stress factures, muscles pulls, hamstring strains, you name it and you seem to have suffered them at some time or the other…Who hasn't? Unfortunately, I am synonymous with