• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 2 Opener between 1986-2006

Who is the #2 Opener between 1986-2006 (to partner Hayden)

• Anwar

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Boon

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Gibbs

• Gooch

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Haynes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jayasuriya

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Kirsten

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Langer

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Richardson

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Sehweg

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Sidhu

• Slater

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Smith

• Strauss

• Taylor

• Trescothick

• Vaughan

• Wright

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
i put my hand up for smith... looks like i'm the only one
Actually I was pretty surprised to see no support for Smith and so much for, say, Sehwag. I suppose its on account of the demographics of the population of CW :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
I just realised that Anwar (13 votes) may have a distinct advantage as he's the only PAK opener, whereas ENG votes may be spread between Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss and Gooch (total 12 votes), while AUS votes may be split between Langer, Boonie and Slats (total 15 votes)

Of course this is pure speculation with no idea how people are voting (and I'm an aussie that voted for Sehwag) :wacko:
And i am an Indian who voted for Gooch :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
I'd say Vaughan isn't rated highly anymore because he hasn't done too well in a long time. He only ever had 1-2 years at the top, everything outside that has been average, which is unfortunate because he's a treat to watch when in full flow.
Indeed.

Its a shame because he still has the odd day when he has a flash of brilliance and when that happens I'd say he's as good a batsman to watch score a hundred as anyone in the world.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
I'd say Vaughan isn't rated highly anymore because he hasn't done too well in a long time. He only ever had 1-2 years at the top, everything outside that has been average, which is unfortunate because he's a treat to watch when in full flow.
Very true. Seem to remember he's got a lot of single-figure scores recently too, which is something you really don't want from your openers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How could someone seriously vote Vaughan considering the other options available? I mean I like watching him bat just like others, but since 2003 he has been quite awful averaging less than 40. His peak wasn't very long either, and Sehwag 'good period' has/had? been longer, yet he himself hasn't done enough to be voted as best opener for the last 20 years IMO.

Anyway I'm going with Gooch.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Indeed.

Its a shame because he still has the odd day when he has a flash of brilliance and when that happens I'd say he's as good a batsman to watch score a hundred as anyone in the world.
When in full form/flight he is easily the best batsman to watch.

aussie tragic

International Captain
hmmm, votes have slowed at 67 votes, which is the same number of voters in the first Poll....does this mean Anwar is the winner???...which I guess means Langer and Sehwag would have to settle for the World 2nd XI.

bagapath

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
hmmm, votes have slowed at 67 votes, which is the same number of voters in the first Poll....does this mean Anwar is the winner???...which I guess means Langer and Sehwag would have to settle for the World 2nd XI.
looks like that aussie tragic. i liked anwar a lot. but i cant believe we have selected an opener without a single double century to his credit. his flair probably got him more votes than gooch who i thought was a better opener. but that is just my opinion. most of the members believe in him to handle job.

bagapath

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
looks like that aussie tragic. i liked anwar a lot. but i cant believe we have selected an opener without a single double century to his credit. his flair probably got him more votes than gooch who i thought was a better opener. but that is just my opinion. most of the members believe in him to handle job.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
14 votes out of 67 for the winner !! and 13 out of 11 for the runner up.

Not very convincing.

Having such a big list surely has its disadvantages. It may not be a bad idea to have a quick playoff between the top two or top three.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I've gone for Sewag. He should compliment Hayden nicely, particularly with Hayden's more patient style now. He is a right hander and Hayden would feel any pressure to go after the bowling with Sewag going beserk. It would be a great sight to see if they both got going together. :laugh:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Fusion said:
I think there should be a playoff between the top 3 vote getters.
Well, with the Poll closing with Anwar and Sehwag equal on 16 votes, I propose one of the following:

(1) Have a vote of between Sehwag and Anwar; or
(2) Have a vote off between Sehwag, Anwar, Langer and Gooch.

I think a 3-day Poll should be enough. What do you think?

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
Well, with the Poll closing with Anwar and Sehwag equal on 16 votes, I propose one of the following:

(1) Have a vote of between Sehwag and Anwar; or
(2) Have a vote off between Sehwag, Anwar, Langer and Gooch.

I think a 3-day Poll should be enough. What do you think?
I suggest option 2, but with only Anwar, Sehwag, and Langer. Top 3 should be enough.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I say top two. THats enough, they got the most votes. I wouldn't like a second round at all,e xcept they are tied.

So it should be just two.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I say top two. THats enough, they got the most votes. I wouldn't like a second round at all,e xcept they are tied.

So it should be just two.
I agree with above as in hindsight, I don't think it's fair to now give Langer and Gooch another shot.

Accordingly, in the interest of wrapping this up, I will shortly open the follow-up Poll, for 3-days only, to decide between Sehwag and Anwar.

Last edited: