• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Malaysia Tri-Series

James

Cricket Web Owner
Schedule

12 Sep 2006 Australia v West Indies

14 Sep 2006 India v West Indies

16 Sep 2006 India v Australia

18 Sep 2006 Australia v West Indies

20 Sep 2006 India v West Indies

22 Sep 2006 India v Australia

24 Sep 2006 Final

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Should be a pretty forgettable series really, but it'll be a leadup to the CT at least.

Predictions: Australia to lose one match but win the final, and Bracken to take plenty of wickets.

adharcric

International Coach
Actually, I think it should be pretty interesting. We get to see the in-form Dravid, returning Tendulkar and Dhoni (for the first time) against McGrath and Lee.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Hayden back. Hopefully he can get good runs and do us all a favour and finish the Katich 'experiment' once and for all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Hoop galore in Malaysia?
That's what I thought as well. Wasn't that Commonwealth Games series where Fleming averaged about 5 played there?

Should suit Bracken pretty nicely.

adharcric

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Good to see Hayden back. Hopefully he can get good runs and do us all a favour and finish the Katich 'experiment' once and for all.
Seeing as the selectors aren't letting Jacques into the one-day side, I guess this is the only way the "experiment" can end.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
Hear, here. :)

And Fuller, I hope you`re right. :D

Dravid

International Captain
Finally Hayden will make the come back he wanted. I just home the tournament is rain free.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Hayden return, was treated a bit harshly as a one day player I felt.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well not sure why they picked an 18-man squd, interesting to see Hayden back it will be interesting battle between Hayden/Jaques/Katich between this series up to the Chapell-Hadlee series to see who partners Gilchrist at the top of the order during the world cup.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Should be a pretty forgettable series really, but it'll be a leadup to the CT at least.
How so?, three pretty good teams on show with some top players, it could be very good.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
What will happen is that Katich will continue on averaging his 35 at a s/r of 70 before he goes through a tough run just prior to the world cup and the selectors panic and revert to the experience of Hayden for the tournament itself.

Now when it comes to Hayden v. Katich I will take Hayden everyday of the week but he will be 35 when the world cup comes around. Jaques and Cosgrove are the future, they have mountains of runs behind them in domestic cricket and both had a succesful taste at international level.

We should have been playing Jaques for the last 12 months but noooooo let's persist with a bloke that is clearly not good enough for the Australian top six and scores his runs at a s/r that is only effective when you are chasing 200.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
People are WAY too critical of Katich. The guy was one of the most consistent Australian batsmen in ODIs during the last summer, and barely put a foot wrong the whole time. Several times when it was necessary he scored at a very good rate, and several times he held the team together when other batsmen were getting out and made a good score.

He needs to improve at converting starts into big scores, and he needs to be able to score at a 100+ strike rate when the team needs it, but he's certainly not done anything to warrant recalling Hayden at this point.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Come on, thats way harsh of Katich, yea he isn't as aggressive as the other memebers of Australia's superb top 7, but is that really such a bad thing?. If you have one guy like him batting around shotguns like Gilly, Ponting, Martyn, Symo, Pup, Hussey & Lee who can play as the achor role that wont be a great problem, because even though i would rather Jaques more so than Hayden at the top in his own way Katich has done fairly well for Australia at the top of the order.

adharcric

International Coach
Katich certainly hasn't done a poor job in his stint as a one-day opening batsman, but one needs to consider the standard of competition in the Australian one-day side. Let's take a look at the statistics of the Aussie batsmen in 2006.

Katich ~ 43 (ave) @ 67 (s/r)
Gilchrist ~ 43 @ 112
Ponting ~ 46 @ 93
Symonds ~ 50 @ 101
Hussey ~ 50 @ 94
Clarke ~ 41 @ 80
--------------------------------------
Martyn ~ 26 @ 80 (ignore him for now)

It's pretty clear that while all six have a solid average, Katich is the only one with a poor strike-rate. His playing an anchor-role would be important in a team full of inconsistent quick-scoring players like Sehwag, Jayasuriya, etc ... but in this team, everyone averages high at a good strike-rate so there's no need to have a guy play that type of anchor role. In other words, everyone in the team plays a strong ODI game and all of them can play that anchor role if needed. Just because they all score runs consistently at a good rate doesn't mean they aren't as solid as slower batsmen like Dravid, Kallis and in this case Katich. Australia could have Jacques or Hayden opening and averaging Katich's 43 at a s/r of 85. Katich doesn't merit being dropped, but by Aussie standards he certainly isn't secure of his place.

luffy

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
People are WAY too critical of Katich. The guy was one of the most consistent Australian batsmen in ODIs during the last summer, and barely put a foot wrong the whole time. Several times when it was necessary he scored at a very good rate, and several times he held the team together when other batsmen were getting out and made a good score.

He needs to improve at converting starts into big scores, and he needs to be able to score at a 100+ strike rate when the team needs it, but he's certainly not done anything to warrant recalling Hayden at this point.
I agree. Too many people are too critical of him. He is more consistent than most players and while other players may pick up the run rate he stays in and lets everyone else score faster.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
It's pretty clear that while all six have a solid average, Katich is the only one with a poor strike-rate. His playing an anchor-role would be important in a team full of inconsistent quick-scoring players like Sehwag, Jayasuriya, etc ... but in this team, everyone averages high at a good strike-rate so there's no need to have a guy play that type of anchor role. In other words, everyone in the team plays a strong ODI game and all of them can play that anchor role if needed. Just because they all score runs consistently at a good rate doesn't mean they aren't as solid as slower batsmen like Dravid, Kallis and in this case Katich. Australia could have Jacques or Hayden opening and averaging Katich's 43 at a s/r of 85. Katich doesn't merit being dropped, but by Aussie standards he certainly isn't secure of his place.
I'd agree with that. As I said, Katich has plenty of room for improvement, but he's certainly not been bad in the opening spot by any stretch of the imagination. At times he's made some crucial runs and basically he's done the job that's been asked of him. The way people talk about him you'd think he was neither playing a successful anchor role nor scoring quickly, when really that isn't the case. Also, if you look at the way he has scored his runs, quite often he's scored slowly when the team has been in trouble but gone along at a solid rate when they haven't been. If he scores at a run a ball or close to it in easy conditions and at 60-70 when stability is needed, he's playing a valuable role in the side, provided that he also maintains a good average. If he starts failing more often or can't keep up the rate when it's needed, I've got no problem with him being dropped for Jaques. Right now though, he deserves his spot.