• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Malaysia Tri-Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Agree for the most part. My main point in showing those statistics was to highlight Katich's strike rate and the fact that Jacques or Hayden could contribute more at that spot. Just my opinion.
No worries it was good analysis dawg..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lee played a really great knock supporting Hussey in an ODI last summer. Made 50 odd after coming in at number 7, IIRC, and rescued the side. Still not a top order batsmen though, obviously.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Didn't mean it that way, when i mentioned the shot gun 7 i should have separated Lee at the end, but when Lee does come in its normally is in the closing overs & based on his form last season he is as capable as all of those blokes of smoking it at the end.
Interesting you say about his form, because over this time when he was "smoking" it at the end, his strike rate was almost identical to his career strike rate, about 80 or so...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Interesting you say about his form, because over this time when he was "smoking" it at the end, his strike rate was almost identical to his career strike rate, about 80 or so...
that may be so, but from what i've seen of him i know he can smoke it at the end as well as any of them.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ok, how did you come up with his strike rate during this period BTW?, anyways i dont think that says much, Lee throughout his ODI career has always been a fast scorer even if his batting was not as improved as over the last season & Striking @ 80 is pretty good for a bloke coming it @ #8 who 90% of the time won't have more than 5 overs of so to face.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
ok, how did you come up with his strike rate during this period BTW?,
Hmm, perhaps I used the old fashioned method of runs scored divided by balls faced?

aussie said:
anyways i dont think that says much, Lee throughout his ODI career has always been a fast scorer even if his batting was not as improved as over the last season
Of course you don't think it says much, because it clearly discredits your theory that he can smack it around big in the last few overs, and no, an S/R of about 80 is not that fast a scorer...

aussie said:
Striking @ 80 is pretty good for a bloke coming it @ #8 who 90% of the time won't have more than 5 overs of so to face.
But I thought he "smoked" the bowling just like the other shotguns? Now you're just making excuses as to why he doesn't do that...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Hmm, perhaps I used the old fashioned method of runs scored divided by balls faced?
That's clearly not going to give an accurate depiction of his ability to 'smoke it', in order to be accurate one should go through each innings and see what type of play was needed at the time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Of course you don't think it says much, because it clearly discredits your theory that he can smack it around big in the last few overs, and no, an S/R of about 80 is not that fast a scorer....
I dont know if you have seen him bat at all after the ashes, but Lee clearly can smash it around as well as the top 6 if he gets in, the stats may not show but i have seen him do it enough to know otherwise.

marc71178 said:
But I thought he "smoked" the bowling just like the other shotguns? Now you're just making excuses as to why he doesn't do that...
I am not making excuses, as i said for a bloke who would usually come in @ #8 and 90% of the time just have about 5 overs to face striking at 80 isn't bat. Its even better than Martyn who SR is under 80 but he surely isn't a slow scorer.

Many lower-order players around the world who bat around 7/8 who definately are big hitters striker around 80 such as Razzaq, Boucher, Oram & McCullum just to name a few. Would you say they are slow scorers or dont have the ability to smoke it as the other batsmen in their side?, i hope not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Funnily enough though, all but one of the innings when he's come in at the death are the ones where he's not got out of single figures and not hit boundaries.

His record over the last year is only as good as it is because of innings where he hasn't come in and had to "smoke" it, but bat sensibly.

Oh, and those links don't work, but all of the 4 you named are far far better batsmen than Lee.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Funnily enough though, all but one of the innings when he's come in at the death are the ones where he's not got out of single figures and not hit boundaries.

His record over the last year is only as good as it is because of innings where he hasn't come in and had to "smoke" it, but bat sensibly.
You are just basing your arguments on the stats you just have just researched, anyone who has seen the man bat would know that if he is given enough time at the crease he can destroying bowling just as effective as the other illustrious members of Australia's batting line-up.

marc71178 said:
Oh, and those links don't work, but all of the 4 you named are far far better batsmen than Lee.
Yes and yet he has the same SR like them or better than some, but thats not the point, i am trying to say that a SR of 80 for blokes coming at & 7/8 even if they are top batsmen isn't a bad effort it doesn't always show or say that a batsman can't smoke it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
TT Boy said:
Well if someone used the word "shotgun batsman" then yes it is a bit OTT. Though I would not be surprised if Brett Lee tons up in a test match, something Symonds will never achieve.
Brave, brave man.