Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This dude is in the pakistan team next year

U19 Debutant

This dude is in the pakistan team next year

i guess a more outrageous title should be, WHY ISN'T THAT DUDE IN THE PAK TEAM RIGHT NOW?

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but this kid can swing the ball miles, and both ways. These are the highlights from the under19 worldcup.

Google video link

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Impressive. Had heard a lot about him, but hadn't seen him in action yet. Give him a season of domestic cricket to prove his worth, then get him in the team, a la Wasim and Waqar.

Some decent pace stuff coming out of Pakistan again right now.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    In the aftermath of that game all the pundits didn't take him seriosuly because they said he would be too predictable and his action will ruin his back.

But from what i've seen there, he's pretty amazing, i don't are who you are, facing inswing like that is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_sparrow
    i guess a more outrageous title should be, WHY ISN'T THAT DUDE IN THE PAK TEAM RIGHT NOW?

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but this kid can swing the ball miles, and both ways. These are the highlights from the under19 worldcup.

Google video link
    I don't know about "both ways", but he can make it hold its line. Considering how much he swings it in, that's like having a big outswinger anyway.

I remember watching that spell, and Jamshed Ahmed was fantastic too. It was amazing to watch, we were in our hotel room laughing ourselves stupid. You just didn't know what was to happen next. Probably what people felt like in the early '90s watching Wasim and Waqar.

I'd be interested to see Goughy's thoughts on the guy's action though...

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    I'd be interested to see Goughy's thoughts on the guy's action though...
    He is someone I would be very careful with.
    The things a number of coaches may not like are also what enables him to generate that swing.

The swing obviously comes from a great wrist position and his action helps him as his left arm splays towards the off side (forcing the right arm to be pushed towards the leg) and he has a pronounced bending of the back towards the offside and a lot of body rotation.

The left arm situation is generally a cause for concern as it leads to inconsisency of line and what he does with his body is a worry as it applies massive pressure and would lead to many players breaking down. However, I would not look to change that much as it is these aspectsthat help him swing the ball. He will be stuck with the fact that his strengths are also his biggest weaknesses.

If you try and change a swing bowlers action too much then you seriously run the risk of losing the ability to move the ball ala Jimmy Anderson.

Another thing, he gets his feet in a great position to enable him to bowl quick. He really generates a great deal of torque.

To conclude, I would only look to make minor changes as I would hate to change the aspects that make him the bowler he is. However, he will live with the fact that he will struggle for consistency and have a high risk of breaking down. With a guy like that, I think its better to take what he is rather than change him. If you try and change him you are gambling and could lose it all.
    Last edited by Goughy; 21-08-2006 at 07:31 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    He is someone I would be very careful with.
    The things a number of coaches may not like are also what enables him to generate that swing.

The swing obviously comes from a great wrist position and his action helps him as his left arm splays towards the off side (forcing the right arm to be pushed towards the leg) and he has a pronounced bending of the back towards the offside and a lot of body rotation.

The left arm situation is generally a cause for concern as it leads to inconsisency of line and what he does with his body is a worry as it applies massive pressure and would lead to many players breaking down. However, I would not look to change that much as it is these aspectsthat help him swing the ball. He will be stuck with the fact that his strengths are also his biggest weaknesses.

If you try and change a swing bowlers action too much then you seriously run the risk of losing the ability to move the ball ala Jimmy Anderson.

Another thing, he gets his feet in a great position to enable him to bowl quick. He really generates a great deal of torque.

To conclude, I would only look to make minor changes as I would hate to change the aspects that make him the bowler he is. However, he will live with the fact that he will struggle for consistency and have a high risk of breaking down. With a guy like that, I think its better to take what he is rather than change him. If you try and change him you are gambling and could lose it all.
    Having played against him, we all remarked how he'd be in a wheelchair at 23. But no-one enjoyed facing him! The left handers had to leave most of his balls alone, unless he dropped short. And he didn't bowl too many wides considering the amount of swing he was getting.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Having played against him, we all remarked how he'd be in a wheelchair at 23. But no-one enjoyed facing him! The left handers had to leave most of his balls alone, unless he dropped short. And he didn't bowl too many wides considering the amount of swing he was getting.
    Good luck to him, but I think he will be very lucky if he manages to avoid serious back injuries.

One thing that I did not mention that may be you can confirm or deny. With his massive amount of body rotation and bending, it looks like the ball would be very difficult to pick up from the hand. It would seem to be on you before you can really focus on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Good luck to him, but I think he will be very lucky if he manages to avoid serious back injuries.

One thing that I did not mention that may be you can confirm or deny. With his massive amount of body rotation and bending, it looks like the ball would be very difficult to pick up from the hand. It would seem to be on you before you can really focus on it.
    I didn't face him myself, but no-one found him express.

And anyone with that haircut doesn't deserve to play international cricket.

U19 Debutant
    i wonder what david boon thinks of this kid.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Can someone tell me what this dudes name is?
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Anwar Ali isn't it? (Haven't watched video, attempting to remember)
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Anwar Ali, along with his conspirator, Jamshed Ahmed.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Goughy, do you think he will have major injury problems when he gets older?

The commentators on sky were basicly ignoring him because they said he would be seriously injured very soon.

I'm not sure, i know it looks a bit ungainly, but if he hasn't been getting seriously injured now(has he?) then i don't think he'll have any major problems when he's older.

Injury prone actions are a bit over hyped IMO, some bowlers just get injured more than others, there's nothing wrong with Simon Jones' action, he just gets injured all the time

Quote Originally Posted by open365
    Goughy, do you think he will have major injury problems when he gets older?

The commentators on sky were basicly ignoring him because they said he would be seriously injured very soon.

I'm not sure, i know it looks a bit ungainly, but if he hasn't been getting seriously injured now(has he?) then i don't think he'll have any major problems when he's older.

Injury prone actions are a bit over hyped IMO, some bowlers just get injured more than others, there's nothing wrong with Simon Jones' action, he just gets injured all the time
    Well you are talking to someone who had an action that made me injury prone myself. However, If I did not have that action I would not have been able to bowl quick. Sometimes your greatest strength is your biggest weakness.

Just because he has not been injured now does now mean he will not in the future. Injury prone actions are very much a fact. He will experience wear and tear and once he has been hurt once or twice he will find it difficult to come back or keep his swing as his action will change naturally.

He could get lucky, and as I said before, I would not make big changes to his action but in all likelyhood he will have many issues in the future.

You also have to remember that his body has yet to grow to full strength and he has not played long enough for his muscles to become unbalanced on oneside of the body compared to the other. This is also increase the strength and stresses his body will be under.

Its a bit harsh that the guys on Sky are not paying him much attention as you can never assume injury is guaranteed and the guy deserves some pub

Good luck to him. He looks impressive, but I think he will need all the luck he can get to stay healthy.
    Last edited by Goughy; 22-08-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Jamshed & Anwar = the next Wasim & Waqar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information