• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In memory of Kenneth John Wadsworth

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It was 30 years ago on the 19th August that New Zealand wicketkeeper/batsman Ken Wadsworth died at the tender age of 29. It still remains the only occasion that I can remember that a current Test player has died from natural causes while still at the peak of his career. He was a very prominent figure in New Zealand's tour of England in 1973. Thanks for the memories.

Ken Wadsworth obituary

stumpski

International Captain
A little before my time, but I'd have liked to see him play. The first wicket-keeper to score a hundred in an ODI, he would still have been useful at the 1979 World Cup.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously a hugely popular cricketer on and off the field. Whenever current commentators who were his team-mates talk about him you can see it still causes painful memories for them, must have been an absolutely devastating loss.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Natural causes of death? Seems odd at 29
I don't know about the rest of the World, but in the UK the term "Natural Causes" is used to describe any death as a result of illness as opposed to being caused by an accident or illegal act by another person. There's nothing odd about it whatever the age of the deceased.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
It was 30 years ago on the 19th August that New Zealand wicketkeeper/batsman Ken Wadsworth died at the tender age of 29. It still remains the only occasion that I can remember that a current Test player has died from natural causes while still at the peak of his career. He was a very prominent figure in New Zealand's tour of England in 1973. Thanks for the memories.

Ken Wadsworth obituary
Terribly sad. My abiding memory is him making useful runs when NZ nearly made the 479 needed to win at Trent Bridge in 1973. Hardly relevant given what followed, but indicative of his fighting nature.

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
I remember him, he looked every inch a cricketer :)

Not to many have died, but a couple that come to mind are, GF Grace, Archie Jackson and Jock Cameron

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I remember him, he looked every inch a cricketer :)

Not to many have died, but a couple that come to mind are, GF Grace, Archie Jackson and Jock Cameron
When I made the comment about those that have died I really meant those that I have personal memory of. I'm a big fan of Archie Jackson from what I've read about him but he died during the Bodyline Series of 1932/33.

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
When I made the comment about those that have died I really meant those that I have personal memory of. I'm a big fan of Archie Jackson from what I've read about him but he died during the Bodyline Series of 1932/33.
No worries; not having ago at you, just trying to use my dorment memory banks :laugh: