• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A little bit of help regarding a new cricket bat

Dravid

International Captain
I just bought a BDM Dynamic power. Now it came with the face tape that goes on the face of the bat. Now can someone please tell is it worth oiling the bat if you are going to put face tape on it cause some people told me you don't need to so I am not really sure. And If I do need to oil it how much oil should I put on the bat.

Thanks for the help

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's never harm oiling the bat, whether you put the extratec/tape on the bat or not. However its not necessary since the tape will protect the bat. Basically its your choice, but since you've forked out the dough for the bat, why not give it a bit of an oiling? :)

Regarding how much, a couple of coats should do. Try and get one that comes out of the bottles with a sponge on it, very easy to use.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Underoiling is far better than overoiling and if you don't need to oil the face because of an existing protecter, then don't. But oil the toe (always necessary [unless you have a toeguard])

Dravid

International Captain
Well what I decided to do was oil it afterall. I put on two coats, but I used like 1/4 of a teaspoon all over the face and edges and the toe. I'm gonna put the face tape and toe guard on it too just to be sure. I'm in love with this bat, a beautiful piece.

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:
There's never harm oiling the bat, whether you put the extratec/tape on the bat or not. However its not necessary since the tape will protect the bat. Basically its your choice, but since you've forked out the dough for the bat, why not give it a bit of an oiling? :)

Regarding how much, a couple of coats should do. Try and get one that comes out of the bottles with a sponge on it, very easy to use.
Excellent Jono!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
I just bought a BDM Dynamic power. Now it came with the face tape that goes on the face of the bat. Now can someone please tell is it worth oiling the bat if you are going to put face tape on it cause some people told me you don't need to so I am not really sure. And If I do need to oil it how much oil should I put on the bat.

Thanks for the help
If there is a face tape on the bat surface, chances are the oil will not touch the surface anyway.

Just knocking in the bat is what you will be best advised to do.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
If there is a face tape on the bat surface, chances are the oil will not touch the surface anyway.

Just knocking in the bat is what you will be best advised to do.
He didn't say whether the face tape was already placed on the bat though. Often with BDM it comes with the bat, but you must put it on yourself if you so choose.