• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Doing a Michelle

archie mac

International Coach
I read that when a bowler takes a five for and shows the ball to the crowd, they call it a 'Michelle'

Can anyone tell me the origins of this?:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I read that when a bowler takes a five for and shows the ball to the crowd, they call it a 'Michelle'

Can anyone tell me the origins of this?:)
Michelle Pfeiffer

Pfeiffer = 5fer = taking 5 wickets in an innings

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Any reason you needed to know?
No not really, just have never heard that expression before, and I like to think I know a fair bit about the game :)

That brings me to another question, Colin Cowdrey's father named him Michael Colin so he would be MCC, but I have never heard if Stuart MacGill was named after the SCG or it is just a coincidence?

I know he is from WA so maybe not, but he has a long history of family playing FCC so maybe :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
archie mac said:
No not really, just have never heard that expression before, and I like to think I know a fair bit about the game :)

That brings me to another question, Colin Cowdrey's father named him Michael Colin so he would be MCC, but I have never heard if Stuart MacGill was named after the SCG or it is just a coincidence?

I know he is from WA so maybe not, but he has a long history of family playing FCC so maybe :)
Would I be a real spoilsport if I pointed out that the first letter of "MacGill" is M, not G? :p :ph34r:

Steulen

International Regular
I believe Mr. Disgrace himself, Dean Jones, was the one who coined the term Michelle Pfeiffer, wildly stabbing my own memories I'd bleed out that it was during a VB series ODI and the lucky recipient of Ms. Pfeiffer was Brad Hogg. No, really.

The quote might be in CricInfo's archive somewhere. can't be bothered to look, because it will only show I'm wrong on all counts :)

stumpski

International Captain
It's only semi-relevant, but following on from MCC and SCG, two players come to mind who were named after old cricketers. Neil Fairbrother was christened Neil Harvey in honour of the Aussie left-hander of the 50s, while the Warwickshire leg-spinner of the early 70s Warwick Tidy, was named after Warwick Armstrong. Two things spring to mind: how did their parents know they would have a career, or even be interested, in cricket - and is it co-incidence that Fairbrother batted left-handed and Tidy bowled leggies (albeit in a short career, he played his last match at 20)?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Steulen said:
I believe Mr. Disgrace himself, Dean Jones, was the one who coined the term Michelle Pfeiffer, wildly stabbing my own memories I'd bleed out that it was during a VB series ODI and the lucky recipient of Ms. Pfeiffer was Brad Hogg. No, really.

The quote might be in CricInfo's archive somewhere. can't be bothered to look, because it will only show I'm wrong on all counts :)
Nah, it pre-dates that. The first place I saw it used was in one of Steve Waugh' tour diaries that I own, which are all from before 2000.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
stumpski said:
It's only semi-relevant, but following on from MCC and SCG, two players come to mind who were named after old cricketers. Neil Fairbrother was christened Neil Harvey in honour of the Aussie left-hander of the 50s, while the Warwickshire leg-spinner of the early 70s Warwick Tidy, was named after Warwick Armstrong. Two things spring to mind: how did their parents know they would have a career, or even be interested, in cricket - and is it co-incidence that Fairbrother batted left-handed and Tidy bowled leggies (albeit in a short career, he played his last match at 20)?
I guess they're just the ones we know of. There must just be a whole bunch of Viv Richards or Richie Benauds out there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:

It certainly predates that by a long time. The first time I remember it being used was in 1994 during my 1st year at University when it was used by a player that went on to play for Hants and Im sure he was not the first to use it. Im also pretty sure I heard it before then as well but I cannot give a firm date of source until the above.

If I had to guess I would say it was from between 87-92 when she had a lot of big films.
Batman Returns (1992)
Frankie and Johnny (1991)
The Russia House (1990)
The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)
Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)
Married to the Mob (1988)
The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

Last edited: